Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question about brake options... I am in the process of building up a Shiv (finally retiring my Transition) and want to go with a better dual mount brake. I have the original Tririgs on the Transition, work good but have a few issues here and there. Might go with the new Tririgs but curious what other aero options are out there that work well (fit) the Shiv? Thanks!

Quote | Reply
Have on both the original TRP Brakes. They brake but could be better especially the rear brake. The wheels also make a difference for sure. The braking power on both shiv is even slightly different so you might not get a consistent answer on those...
What are your issues on Tririg as i was thinking to buy a pair ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ogni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the Tririg on my Shiv. Stopping power is comparable to the TRP brakes but adjustment is so much easier, especially with the rear brake.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [mtbmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtbmatt wrote:
Quick question for owners of the 2016 Shiv.

Does anyone with the carbon aero base bars know if the extensions can be rotated at all?
I have one on test and unless I am being really stupid, or missing a part it appears like they are fixed straight with no rotation.

Earlier (recalled?) aero bars looked like the have some rotation built in.

There is a new clamp available that allows 8deg of rotation
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard about a new rotatable clamp... Do you have a link on the internet ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link or a picture? I'm also interested in this bar.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little late to the Shiv party, but late is better than never. I have been riding an SWorks Transition since 2008 and absolutely loved the thing and I always thought the Shiv was kind of.. well... ugly when comparted to the Transition. That changed a few weeks ago when I walked into my LBS and saw this thing.. had to have it... I think the new color scheme with the big thick strips is what they should have started with (without all the thin lines, etc) Anyway.. I know the Shiv is riding off into the sunset noon and Specialized will likely have a new super bike at Kona but for now I'm super happy. I need to find a solution to get the front end lower... might try the Alpha X... stack with the "low stack kit" is still a little high for me. This is the same size as my Transition (M) and I could fit on a small.. but neither are perfect and have compromises so i have always gone with the bigger size. Raced in a 70.3 this weekend and was super happy with the bike.

Quote | Reply
Quick question... anyone know if it is possible to mount the low stack kit *under* the base bar with the cup/pads mounted directly on the base bar (lowering the overall stack by the thickness of the low stack extension mounts. The bottom side of the base bar has the same flat spot near the mounting holes so it looks doable but just not sure if there is a screw/bolt combination that would make it work since the base bar is part with the threads (right?) Maybe a screw from the bottom through the low stack mount and a screw from the top for the pads, but they would have to be shorter than normal since they would only be able to thread 1/2 through the base bar. Anyway.. just a thought and I was curious if anyone has attempted this.

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
Quick question... anyone know if it is possible to mount the low stack kit *under* the base bar with the cup/pads mounted directly on the base bar (lowering the overall stack by the thickness of the low stack extension mounts. The bottom side of the base bar has the same flat spot near the mounting holes so it looks doable but just not sure if there is a screw/bolt combination that would make it work since the base bar is part with the threads (right?) Maybe a screw from the bottom through the low stack mount and a screw from the top for the pads, but they would have to be shorter than normal since they would only be able to thread 1/2 through the base bar. Anyway.. just a thought and I was curious if anyone has attempted this.

interesting idea.

out of the box, it won't work. but maybe possible with some modding.

there is a couple of issues with it.

1) the whole basebar/shim/lowstack mount are all countersink/inverse-countersink so they fit into each other. the bolt is also a countersink bolt that fits into a countersinked hole from the bottom of the basebar.
2) the arm rest is mount onto the lowstack mount via separate holes. if you put the lowstack under the basebar, then there is no hole to mount the arm rests.

now there multiple potential solution to this problem. all require a bit of tweaking.

1) you can invert the whole thing. now the basebar/shim/lowstack will mount like it used to. there are 2 issues: a) arm rest still have no where to go; b) the basebar handle/brake lever will now point downwards (you can cut it to have it horizontal.. but probably not advised.

2) you can keep basebar right way up. you probably need to add some homemade shim between basebar/lowstack just in case they don't interface properly. you still have the issues with the armrest having no where to mount to.

the armrest probably need to be solved in either case, since the mount point is on the lowstack which is now under the handlebar. possible to fabricate one i guess.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great looking bike! I wouldn't sweat whatever Specialized has coming, the Shiv is still a very fast bike when set up properly. Which cockpit do you have? Is there any option for tilt adjustment?
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now I have the stock Shiv carbon bars that came with the bike with the low stack kit but I used my Profile carbon extensions from the Profile CX3 I had on the Transition. They sort of work.. but due to the way the slow stack kit works they are now "longer" and I haven't decided if I want to cut the tips back (and need to find out if they are actually designed to do that.) The goal was to match my Transition fit as close as possible as a start, then go from there tweaking where needed.

Quote | Reply
What BTA setups are people using on a Shiv with stock bars? Finding that the odd shape extension clamps/holders close to the base bar make it hard to secure a basic zip tie setup that isn't sitting way out towards the tips of the extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
mtbmatt wrote:
Quick question for owners of the 2016 Shiv.

Does anyone with the carbon aero base bars know if the extensions can be rotated at all?
I have one on test and unless I am being really stupid, or missing a part it appears like they are fixed straight with no rotation.

Earlier (recalled?) aero bars looked like the have some rotation built in.

There is a new clamp available that allows 8deg of rotation

Any additional info on this clamp? I don't see anything on their website. I've been debating a new bar since loosing the adjustment with the low stack kit.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [BMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMS wrote:
What BTA setups are people using on a Shiv with stock bars? Finding that the odd shape extension clamps/holders close to the base bar make it hard to secure a basic zip tie setup that isn't sitting way out towards the tips of the extensions.

Profile Aero HC. not the fanciest stuff but rock solid. the butt of the bottle doesn't quite reach the armpads but the computer mount does. (not that i like it that way as i prefer the computer further front)
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [BMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMS wrote:

I use an Xlab Torpedo Kompact now on my Shiv with low clamp kit as nothing else realy worked well http://www.xlab-usa.com/torpedo-kompact.html
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [ogni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick size question. I have the opportunity to buy a 2013 Shiv comp size Medium. I am riding a size large transition currently. I am 6 foot tall with an inseam of 32. I know fitting is the way to go. However, funds are limited. I looked on the website and the Medium shiv measures with the transition Large. Shiv owners what are your height and inseam of medium and large Shivs?

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [jhight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'1", 32" inseam, on a large shiv with an Alpha X cockpit slammed. I could have gone with a medium from a stack perspective but would have been low on reach.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [jhight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Measure your current stack and reach to see which one would fit better (you want to be toward the center of the boxes). Since Shivs are now made with the low-stack kit standard (due to the recall), subtract 19mm from the stack measurements below.

FWIW I have a 30.5" inseam and ride a small. The Shiv is a very tall bike and typically people with low positions size down to get the pad position they need.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
6'1", 32" inseam, on a large shiv with an Alpha X cockpit slammed. I could have gone with a medium from a stack perspective but would have been low on reach.

Would you mind elaborating on this please?

I'm 6'1" with a 32/33 inseam. Considering a Medium 2015 Shiv Expert. What are your concerns with the medium? Have you raced in an aero position extensively?

Thanks!

R
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Would you mind elaborating on this please?

I'm 6'1" with a 32/33 inseam. Considering a Medium 2015 Shiv Expert. What are your concerns with the medium? Have you raced in an aero position extensively?

Thanks!

R

I've spent lots of time in an aero position. Below is an image of a "slack" position I was experimenting with earlier this year for long course on my Speed Concept (ignore the helmet, didn't have the tilt set up right with the straps). IIRC, my pad stack/reach there was 645/545ish (measured to the center of the pad... that's how I measure). The reach on a medium Shiv is 405 and on a large it's 425. So, to hit that reach on a medium I'd need a 140mm stem which is waayyyy too long (too much weight out front). On a size large Shiv it's more like 120mm which is still on the long side but acceptable.

Last edited by: GreenPlease: Oct 4, 16 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I've spent lots of time in an aero position. Below is an image of a "slack" position I was experimenting with earlier this year for long course on my Speed Concept (ignore the helmet, didn't have the tilt set up right with the straps). IIRC, my pad stack/reach there was 645/545ish (measured to the center of the pad... that's how I measure). The reach on a medium Shiv is 405 and on a large it's 425. So, to hit that reach on a medium I'd need a 140mm stem which is waayyyy too long (too much weight out front). On a size large Shiv it's more like 120mm which is still on the long side but acceptable.

That looks pretty quick! Is it worth doing a bike fit (CAD$250 here) to get your numbers? I've only ridden a Cervelo S5 with aerobars before in races but have done plenty of miles in a regular position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% get a fit but be sure it's someone reputable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at a website in town speedtheory.ca that claims to have a retul kit but no mention of them on the Retul website database.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reach out to Retul. Ask here on the forums. You have to be proactive to get a good fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's the speedtheory.ca I'm thinking of, ask them if you can join them on their next trip to the wind tunnel. They've done some fitting there and know their stuff.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply

Prev Next