Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your name is "Randy" and you have created artwork.

You've already won.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think randmart should make bibs for us to wear while we do the 100/100 (or the 70/100 in my case.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need help finding the link to sign-up for the challenge.
When I go here: http://training.slowtwitch.com/challenges I do not find anything for the 2015-16 100/100. what might I be missing...

Many thanks!
Nick
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [phillind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phillind wrote:
Need help finding the link to sign-up for the challenge.

When I go here: http://training.slowtwitch.com/challenges I do not find anything for the 2015-16 100/100. what might I be missing...

Many thanks!
Nick

Hi Nick....if this is a grievance, that's fine, because the challenge does not start until Dec 15th, so the link will be up on Dec 15th...and I understand that if you are on the other side of the international date line from where I sit (ex New Zealand, Australia, Japan), it is already Dec 15th, but it's Dec 14th on this side, so just wait a few more hours and the challenge will be up at the end of the day and you all can start logging.

In the mean time, if you are on this side of the date line get your final grievances in. So are we going to allow a 1 or 2x per week short run of either 15 or 20 min provided you make up the difference the next day and run a total of 60 min between the two days? While this is wussification it's more like calling someone an ironman if they covered the full distance in 2 days even though WTC shortened the swim today and went out and covered the missed swim distance tomorrow. If it keeps people from getting injured, or if it gets more people out that is fine by me.

The opposing argument is "yes go out and run 15 minutes today, just don't log it and it does not count for the challenge". We're on the 10th year now of doing this and I think overall the challenge is mature enough that adding this minor wussification would be more constructive not only from participation angle but also from an injury prevention angle.

Now get the grievances out on this one so I can decide one way or the other. I might ask Slowman for some expert advice, since he is really the guy who invented the virtual online challenge long before facebook even existed. But what do you guys say? I need to get the 2015-2016 thread up by end of day and need to lock in the rules.

On my side I have made progress from having to use crutches everywhere to being able to walk around inside the house on flat surfaces. Outside on uneven stuff, my leg totally cramps up quickly after 3-5 steps, mainly problems from 2011 leg/nerve/head injury so I am waiting to see if some things I am working on keep making progress before going on any medication or injections etc to reduce the spasticity in the affected area. So my goal will be to walk on the treadmill daily and perhaps progress to one run by the end of this challenge. If I get to that, I want the organizer to give me a "you are winner" ribbon since everyone is a champion for participating. My grievance is that they should not make brick houses in Switzerland so hard that when you go head first into it, your body shatters rather than the house, but hey, those Swiss engineer things well. At least their medical system was awesome.

Seriously though I would like to make a ruling on this proposed rule change....so here it is:

"All rules from 2014-15 challenge apply. New in 2015-16 is allowance for 2x per week minimum run of 15 minutes which must be followed up by 45 run the next day. A 15 min run earlier in the day, followed by a 45 min run later in the day does not count for 2 runs in that day, it counts as the usual 1 run of 60 minutes. The reason for this is that the minimum on 2 days per week of 15 min run is being instituted to assist people in not over doing mileage on days when perhaps a short jog or transition run off the bike or swim is all they should really be doing in the context of an overall triathlon program"

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dev, i'm sending our weekly newsletter out today. if you want to make the 100/100 thread live now i can include this in our newsletter. it's up to you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great stuff. No greivance. Will sign up this evening...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....Let the games begin....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not like the new rule but I'm not going to sit here and moan about it becoming a wussified challenge.

I think people need to learn their limits themselves and make smart choices for themselves.

If I accepted every challenge I found on the internet without thinking of the consequences I would have died long ago.

My girlfriend and I are going to have a bet on who can do the most days. Any thoughts for a good forgeit?

Let the fun (and secretive running behind the girlfriends back) begin....

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No grievances. This is my weather forecast for tomorrow:

Let's roll...............

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't really care one way or another about the rules as it never ceases to amaze me that people get so caught up in them, but then again, i've always been a problem child.... :)

hope you're running at the end, Dev. Last year i was in between IMs (cozumel and cuba) so i didn't participate but today went for my first run since coz and it sure felt good after 2 weeks of nothing. i think i've found the perfect rest period after an IM (only took 6 times to figure that out :)). find out today whether i can plan my season and start entering races (our season is just starting up) or if i will have a different kind of fight on my hands...or maybe tomorrow. at least stitches out today.

maybe you can sue switzerland to put bouncy houses in front of all their brick houses so you will bounce next time? :) good healing!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still voting for all runs being 30 minutes. Not that it's a big deal, but IMO neither is running for an extra 10-15 minutes once you've made the effort to get dressed and get out the door. I don't know what the proposed chance is supposed to accomplish - especially if you just have to make it up the next day. With everyday running, sometimes it takes much longer than 10-15 minutes to loosen up and start feeling good. If injury is a concern, just slow down. 30 minutes is only like 3-4 miles for most.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and upon receipt of Dan's email, I am prompted to make my first forum appearance in months to join the challenge. (see, at least one person reads it. [Also I want to note that I haven't participated in any other websites in the intervening time either.])

Dev, I like your new green rule, but I don't care if it is implemented or not. Initially aiming for 100%, and will be happy with 70%.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
Still voting for all runs being 30 minutes. Not that it's a big deal, but IMO neither is running for an extra 10-15 minutes once you've made the effort to get dressed and get out the door. I don't know what the proposed chance is supposed to accomplish - especially if you just have to make it up the next day. With everyday running, sometimes it takes much longer than 10-15 minutes to loosen up and start feeling good. If injury is a concern, just slow down. 30 minutes is only like 3-4 miles for most.

I agree on the 30 minute minimum. Sure, people can run 10k faster, but they likely also did warmup and cooldowns right? So that can be added to their sub 30 10k in order for it to count as a run. Theoretical problem solved. Next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
RandMart wrote:
In fact, one of the precepts of the Screaming Tortise Athletic Club is: "We're somewhere between 'Participant medals for everyone' and 'Don't tell Mom there was alcohol'"

OK post your artwork on here by tomorrow so that people can air their grievances in time. After that, no complaining!!!

Dev

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone running sub-30 10K is isn't slumming around her eon ST, they're slumming around over at Letsrun.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the challenge twice and been over 100 runs both times. I have been mostly away from ST this year but I'm coming back to log slow runs each day in this year's challenge. I'm fine with the old rules and like the simplicity of 30 mins a day. The new rule you posted in green seems overly complicated but I'm not going to complain if you need to use it in order to get more people in the challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I assume something like 20today, 40 tomorrow is equally allowed

Maybe it needs to be clear that the "make up time", the 40 in this example needs to be the next day ? Can I do 20 today, 30 tomorrow, 40 the day after ?

Does the app allow us to enter 15min runs ?
Last edited by: marcag: Dec 14, 15 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

I assume something like 20today, 40 tomorrow is equally allowed

Maybe it needs to be clear that the "make up time", the 40 in this example needs to be the next day ? Can I do 20 today, 30 tomorrow, 40 the day after ?

Yes the make up time should be "tomorrow" as in "by midnight in your time zone tomorrow".

This is what I am envisioning

• Athlete: "Coach I was to do this stupid ST 100 day running challenge where I pretty well run every day for at least 30 minutes for the next 100 days"
  • Coach: "Why are you paying me for my plan when I don't have you doing that stupidity"
  • Athlete: "Well, you know it kind of sounds like it could be fun and there are like 700 people from all over the world in it and there is even a virtual participant medal that I could print out and glue to wood and hang in my office with my medals from Messick"
  • Coach: "And how does this fit into the plan that I have been working you toward for PB's next year?"
  • Athlete: "Well, figure if I can do some extra I can get the bragging rights and the participant medal and hit the PB's next year too!!!"
  • Coach: "Do you want to be injured and DNS at IM Texas next spring...that's not how it works ???"
  • Athlete: "Oh no, I want to PB. As you know I am already swimming faster than Andy Potts and I think we got the FTP higher than Lionel Sanders, so I want to up my run game to keep up with Frodo"
  • Coach: "OK OK, I get it it, my magic training is working, but we don't want to derail it going on the Hellriegel overtraining program"
  • Athlete: "Hey , I just read in the green print on ST there is a new rule. I can do two days of 15 minute runs per week, which you already have in the program after the Tue and Thu Kickr rides. And you already have me running 45-120 minutes for 3-5 other days, so it looks like I can stick to your program and get the coveted ST participant medal and run as fast as Frodo by next spring!!!"
  • Coach: "OK, fine, deal, just stick to my plan and go do the stupid challenge thing and then make those jokers on ST hurt on the final 10 miles of the run at IM Texas....no deviating from the plan"
  • Athlete: "OK, deal. I'll want you to sign my virtual finisher medal too before I wear it to AWA athlete check in at IM Texas"
  • Coach: "By the way your biggest problem is not the miles, just get off the Jan Ullrich eating plan in between Dec 20th and Jan 1. You want to KQ at IM Texas then start weighing your food after all this training because while you are stuffing your face, the guys getting on the podium are getting down to 5% body fat. I highly recommend the Desertdude/Jonnyo eating plan to compliment my training plan and this stupid ST challenge"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok. May have been asked but....

I walk for 2.5minutes then start running.
I run for 20minutes
I walk for 1.5 minutes.
I perform 5-10 wind sprints with light jog/run between which takes about 5-7minutes

total workout time is 32 minutes.

Does this count as 30min run??
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet. I'm already in second!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like that new 15min run rules..... it does make lots of sence

i havent run in 3 months...i have no swim in 4 months....but i did x country 3 times in the past 3 weeks! I think i m reading to take on this challenge. might help lose those 50lbs and get back to race weight!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote yes, even though I'm not participating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
ok. May have been asked but....

I walk for 2.5minutes then start running.
I run for 20minutes
I walk for 1.5 minutes.
I perform 5-10 wind sprints with light jog/run between which takes about 5-7minutes

total workout time is 32 minutes.

Does this count as 30min run??

Do you run for 30 min? No? Then you already answered your own question...
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:

i havent run in 3 months...i have no swim in 4 months....but i did x country 3 times in the past 3 weeks! I think i m reading to take on this challenge. might help lose those 50lbs and get back to race weight!!!

You don't have 50 lbs to lose. But, just strap the new one on in a back carrier and go to town!

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:

Jonnyo, will you be following the Jonnyo diet?

All kidding aside, if you can participate in the main thread and keep some of the athletes "in line" and help out with the virtual training camp environment I would be really grateful. And I think with the new "rule change" we also allow this to fall into the real of more sensible programs. Hopefully Desertdude is in now too :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next