Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rate my run week!
Quote | Reply
Curious as to what Slowtwitch thinks of my current training regime.

Working towards a December marathon - didn't run for a few years (was a strong cyclist, so focused on that), previous bests were a 19m 5k, 41m 10k, 1h28m half. Have never run a marathon, so wanted to tick that off.

Living in Singapore, so there's the heat to take into account.

I am about 3 months into a build, and have managed to string together a number of ~80km (50m) weeks. As it stands, it looks like this:

M - 1h group run (normally a hard 20-30m in the middle, with 15m really easy either side).
T - AM - F45 strength class - PM - 50m easy (high zone 2 / low zone 3),
W - AM - 1h20 - 1h30m easy - PM - 30-40m easy
T - F45 strength class
F - 1h interval set (sometimes hills, sometimes efforts - lots of 400's, some 800's, not too much longer than that. Hill efforts normally 30s)
S - off
S - long run easy.

Have managed to get the long run up to 3 hours, aiming for something between 3:30 and 4:00 for the mara (although, I really just want to finish).

So, my queries:

Do I need more miles? I think I am running often enough to avoid the typical "cheating" with the long run for distance, but I am concerned about injury. I don't want to risk blowing something just to slip in another 10-15km.

Should I be doing more hard running? At present, I just have the one hard set but I have been able to hit that one pretty hard. I am also well tired by the time I get to Thursday, with the strength class always being a struggle.

Should I drop the gym? I don't really want to, because I am enjoying it and I think the F45 atmosphere means you (a) do the work, and (b) aren't able to bitch out and use tiny weights (always gotta compete / trainers push you).

Anything else I should be aware of? The heat here makes it really, really hard to get through runs outside, so the easy running requires me to watch heart rate pretty closely.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Rate my run week! [njosey17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, off topic here. But I love Singapore. Just interested in how you get your long runs in there? Can you get in pretty decent runs with minimal traffic interference and hydration? I have heard from friends that train there for triathlon about needing to take a passport and ride up into Malaysia for long rides!
All the best for the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your schedule looks quite good but i would drop the 400s and do more threshold and more importantly work at M-pace. I like to work some quality into my long runs, here are a few I usually do:
30k with 4x3k m-pace
30-32k with 3x4k
And build towards 30k with 4x5k
I would maybe do a 20 min tempo on Wednesday also.
Good luck!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Rate my run week! [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem with off-topic - absolutely no issue with actually finding a route to do a long run, there are heaps of paths that run along the water, along the buildings, etc. The only interference is from other runners, as its huge here!

The main issue is just the humidity - I knocked out 3 hrs a few weeks ago starting at 8am, and was ready to pass out by the end. It's just so draining.

I think the long rides would be quite difficult - friends of mine tend to do big hours indoors, or basically just do laps of the whole country!
Quote Reply
Re: Rate my run week! [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply!

With the quality in the long run point, I completely agree - reading through these forums, that seems to have been something desert dude and dave roche seem to encourage quite a lot, so that you aren't just plodding. I think I will start to do that, now that I'm more comfortable with the intimidation factor of running for 2, 3 hours.

Getting used to the weather has meant that I have kind of ignored pace on my long runs and just focused on HR, but I think your point would allow me to get a better idea of what I'm actually capable of on the day.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m no expert, but here’s my thoughts...

Your easy pace is too fast. You should not be approaching zone 3. This will reduce your fatigue throughout the week and.....allow you to run more and the quality session will be more quality.

Your tempo run should not be the day after the long run. I would put the rest day after the long run, not the speed session.

Do an easy run along with the strength workout, don’t need 2 days off running.

Add some quality to the long run. Wether that’s some tempo/threshold in the middle or at the end, or maybe just cutting down to low tempo pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also train in very hot/humid temps. Just slow way down, until it feels easy. I don't use HR but that is a nice way to do it.

Here is what I recommend:
M: easy, or if you feel good: tempo (3-5 mi at ~HM effort--go by effort, not pace because of the conditions)
T: easy
W: easy
Th: intervals (anything from 400s to 2 mi repeats, mix it up)
F: easy
Sat: long (every third week, finish the last 6ish miles fast at MP effort or faster)
Sun: easy/off

run lots of miles. Double if you can (I do 10-11 runs/wk in the context of run commuting to save time). Never go to the well in training, stay controlled and save that for races. Don't take time off. Keep training for years. And stay skinny.

This has taken me from 3:10ish to low 2:40s with a detour of a few years with tri training. No coach, no complex training plan. Still getting faster. It is not rocket science IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Rate my run week! [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to say this simpler...

You get to be a faster runner, and avoid injuries, by running more often. The only way you run more often is slow down.

When I first started running I thought the only way to get faster was crush all my runs. Now when I run I’m barely tired at the end for most of them - feel I could go out and do them again

Just run more often, keep it slow - 9ish mins / mile slow.

At 50mpw you’ve got enough time to finish strong, not just finish!
Quote Reply