Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rapha -- Is it worth it?
Quote | Reply
Opening up a whole can of worms here...
Is it better to take the plunge on 1 nice and sexy (IMO) kit or 2 kits that are less sexy and of medium quality?
I'm eyeing up some very sleek EF kit that would probably be super comfy. But then there's always the more meh kits at a lower price point.
Give me your hot takes.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha -- Is it worth it? [emburgha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Pearl Izumi shorts and the jerseys that can be found on eBay for under $20 with free shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to have at least 4 pairs of bib shorts at any given time. I can’t afford 4 pairs of Rapha.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford it, go for it. It's premium quality and looks great, you won't regret it from that perspective. It certainly can't be your only kit of course so budget accordingly.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha -- Is it worth it? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Pearl Izumi bib short I got cheap new at Velo Swap in Denver--currently my favorite shorts as my DeSotos had all the stitching let go & the pad literally just peeled right up. I like the Desoto fit but yeah that pad just for some reason had the least "sewn in longevity" of any shorts & they were not under warranty anymore when it happened. The shorts are in great shape still...so overall comfort & durability based off miles used the winner is Pearl.

I just got some Assos bibs on sale & I get chaffing every time I wear them. I'm not so sure their "Golden Gate" technology is for me--seems to cause chaffing more than other shorts I wear. At least the pad is better than any of the Castelli I have. May as well use a folded up paper towel vs the "Progetta" Y pads. Not a Castelli fan....

I'd buy Pearl again for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of their classic shorts and they are the most comfortable shorts i've ever had. I baby them to make them last as long as possible and i do love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In some cases it is worth it, but not all. I wear Castelli Velocissimo bib shorts. They are so comfortable. My GF bought me the EF Pro team aero jersey and it is amazingly comfortable and sharp. I love the pro fit, long sleeves, and textured back. It's simply the most comfortable jersey I've worn. That being said you can get it for $117 marked down from $195. I'd like a couple more of the aero pro team jerseys, but I'm hesitant at $195. As well, if you size down they give you 50% off. That's a great incentive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many kits do you need. How many have you got at moment that have 6month / 1 year life left. I know that's a daft question, but I have 2 'good' outdoor cycling kits (Saturday and Sunday), 4 days of run kit, 2 days of swim and then 3 tri-suit kits. On top of that 3 pairs of not to be worn outside old bibs that are of varying suitability to zwifts of either 45min recovery (about 15year old canonndale bibs) or 3hours + (LG from 8 years ago).

So that's what I need for general weeks of training, riding Sat & Sunday without stressing about drying kit, a weekend away running each day, or a tri-training camp.

So from that 'need, you divide your budget. If that covers $$$ stuff, that's great as whilst a long way from certainty there is some correlation with longevity, comfort and price (if you avoid the really $$$ raceday only performance kit).

The specific question you asked framed differently could be 'what's more comfy, a clean dry mid brand chamois or a damp rapha one when I try riding in it for the second day in a row?'. And that answer is always going to be the dry midbrand.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha -- Is it worth it? [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to watch the Castelli stuff where you get it. A riding friend ordered a ton of bibs for us some years ago at ridiculously low prices and I got 2-3 pr. The fit was off from what I was used to, they came up almost to my armpits. They fell apart quickly--and very possibly since they were bought off eBay and said "Made in China" that they could have been fakes--I think they would be all from Italy unless I'm assuming too much. I would not say they were authentic after owning other Castelli bibs in the past...but once I tried Gioradani and Pearl & DeSoto...I was so done with Castelli after that. Night and day difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am biased as wear almost all Rapha but my advice is decide what fit you want. Core is really nice now but less fitted. Pro team is the top but definitely more fitted to your body. Chamois in almost all lines are relatively identical. I say relatively as there are differences just not a big leap imo.

If I were you something on the archive section and buy it discounted to see if it is for you. I started with core and over years have bought pro team from archive or sales.

Regardless what you decide it lasts and lasts. My oldest bib is 5 years old now and feels and looks like new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve tried lots of brands

My Rapha pro bibs from 7 years ago have thousands of miles on them and are still my favorite. Just wish they weren’t light blue and said Sky, so I could wear them w more jerseys!
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha -- Is it worth it? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of the high en stuff I love Q36.5 bibs. The feel different. Just amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
emburgha wrote:
Opening up a whole can of worms here...
Is it better to take the plunge on 1 nice and sexy (IMO) kit or 2 kits that are less sexy and of medium quality?
I'm eyeing up some very sleek EF kit that would probably be super comfy. But then there's always the more meh kits at a lower price point.
Give me your hot takes.

Here's my take -

Expensive bike clothing MAY work better and/or last longer, but absolutely isn't guarantee to do so.

It's however, always nice to have 'nice' things that may you excited about riding, or using.

That said, nowadays it's completely realistic to have excellent-function and still good looking cycling kit fairly inexpensively, that lasts long. You may have to try a bunch of stuff, but you'd have to do that anyway with the pricey stuff.

I did this very thing recently this past season when I decided I'd ride outdoors in 40-45F and above weather, so I needed more cool weather clothing. I literally ordered $1100 of Assos clothing, which was only 4 pieces and enough for 1 ride (jacket/bibs/baselayer/jersey) and then quickly realized that as nicely made as they were, I was't willing to drop that much cash for a single outfit. Plus, I wasn't blown away with how much better it made me look, in fact, I'd say the look difference was very small compared to the inexpensive clothing I ended up getting.

I ended up spending about $120 total for a similar 4-piece set of clothing that at least for me, worked as well as the Assos. Ended up liking it so much I spent another $80 to get more similar pieces so I could have more working sets.

I still enjoy the nice stuff though - in fact I'm having my wife buy me a nice Castelli vest for my birthday soon! But if you're at all thinking about the prices (which you likely will be for stuff like Assos where a jacket costs $275+ even if you make good money) nothing wrong with getting functional lesser priced stuff and then adding the nice bits individually as sales come up. Also makes it more fun, honestly.

Of note, I did end up returning a good third of the lesser priced stuff I bought as it didn't work for me. YOu should be willing to return the stuff that doesn't work so you get really functional stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried many brands previously and always return to Rapha, the quality of the product is head and shoulders above anything else out there.
The Pro Team and classic bibs have lasted years and still look and perform as new. Adding to the quality is that its all pretty classically styled so doesn't look dated a couple years in. Unlike the likes of Wattie Ink, Betty Designs etc
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha -- Is it worth it? [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericallenboyd wrote:
I am biased as wear almost all Rapha but my advice is decide what fit you want. Core is really nice now but less fitted. Pro team is the top but definitely more fitted to your body. Chamois in almost all lines are relatively identical. I say relatively as there are differences just not a big leap imo.

If I were you something on the archive section and buy it discounted to see if it is for you. I started with core and over years have bought pro team from archive or sales.

Regardless what you decide it lasts and lasts. My oldest bib is 5 years old now and feels and looks like new.

I agree with you, Rapha lasts "forever". The quality is almost second to none and it also looks real good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
emburgha wrote:
Is it better to take the plunge on 1 nice and sexy (IMO) kit or 2 kits that are less sexy and of medium quality? I'm eyeing up some very sleek EF kit that would probably be super comfy.

If the stress is on "super comfy", the question is, how long is your longest ride, typically?

Quote:
But then there's always the more meh kits at a lower price point.

A lower price point doesn't necessarily mean lower quality. The problem I have with Rapha is I'll never pay for branding, especially one associated with the sort of road cycling snob that we all know.

I have a pair of these (not affiliated with the company - just a product recommendation) and unless it's more about "super sexy", I think it's the sort of stuff you're looking for (they have a women's model if you're female).

https://en.eroe.cc/...-best-bib-shorts-man

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Mar 31, 21 1:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to make a short film about a talented amateur/ neo-pro [could be a guy OR a girl] who is recruited to a prestigious cycling team where they find themselves sorely tested each and every day ["sorely" quite literally at times] by a diabolical yet highly successful DS. They come to question their ability to survive as well as wonder whether or not a chance to ride Le Tour is worth the price of their soul

I'd call it The Devil Wears Rapha

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Mar 31, 21 6:18
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha -- Is it worth it? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a number of people that love their Rapha stuff. Their customer service seemed Particularly good with repairs or replacements for worn stuff. I don't know if this was the normal or if it still exists today. I am sure the brand got sold then a while ago I think they had a few redundancies. I did wonder if they were a little slow developing Aero kit with a few of their Sponsored Teams using other brands skinsuits etc. Though they seem to have made inroads here. Personally I like to wear my clubs colours and support the Sponsors so having really followed their latest stuff to closely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, yes.

It fits me perfectly. Feels luxurious. Lasts for years. Doesn't fade. My vanity tells me to only ride it outside and save the trainer rides for the (awesome) DeSoto 400's or any other bib that was given to me or looks like adult little league-wear..

And, I think the jerseys are equally great for all the same reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha -- Is it worth it? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm overly obsessed with Rapha, but agree with others to return what doesn't work. Lately I've noticed more quality and sizing/fit issues with Rapha, more than in the past. Even ordering the same item in different colours having major sizing/fit differences.

If you don't like an item, return it while you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha -- Is it worth it? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Lol!

Thank you - I knew it was a stretch

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha -- Is it worth it? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
You have to watch the Castelli stuff where you get it. A riding friend ordered a ton of bibs for us some years ago at ridiculously low prices and I got 2-3 pr. The fit was off from what I was used to, they came up almost to my armpits. They fell apart quickly--and very possibly since they were bought off eBay and said "Made in China" that they could have been fakes--I think they would be all from Italy unless I'm assuming too much. I would not say they were authentic after owning other Castelli bibs in the past...but once I tried Gioradani and Pearl & DeSoto...I was so done with Castelli after that. Night and day difference.

Super cheap, made in China castelli bought of ebay... Almost certainly fake but you're using this as the guide to judge Castelli?

None of my Castelli gear is made in China, btw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And what about Assos? Arguably even more expensive than Rapha. Though I think even they have started shifting their manufacturing from Switzerland to China.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wyn Republic gear is really nice too, you may want to check out their stuff. some of their designs are 'out there' but they've got nice traditional color bibs and jerseys. some are on sale now too.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply

Prev Next