Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rank my group long run as a workout
Quote | Reply
This weekend I went on a group long run on trails (the route was a little bit affected by the rain and with lot of leaves). Here are the activity details:
Distance: 25km
Elevation gain: 340m (most of this gained on 4 short and steep climbs)
Moving time: 2h:19m (aroung 5:30min/km pace)
Total time: 2h: 50m

I completed the route with two other guys, however after the run I started to wonder if this can be considered a workout since it went like this:
  • One of the guys from the start went to an tempo pace (equivalent of an easy-medium pace for me) and urged us to follow him. He was doing this with almost no warmup since a few static exercises I think cannot be counted as a proper warmup. We didn't follow the pace "advice" so the first 2km were done at an easy pace.
  • After 2km we hit the first climb (almost 1km with 8-9% gradient) of the day. Of course the "tempo guy" was setting the pace from the begging of the climb. I was just behind him, keeping a steady rhythm without any breathing difficulty. However he was breathing heavily and I was hearing his breath really well. As I was expecting, near the half of the climb he started to succumb. I just passed him by keeping my rhythm and reached the top of the climb first and I had to stop. They really needed a brek on top of the climb so if I didn't stopped then the gap will increase and the run would had turned into a solo run fro me. This story repeated on all climbs of the day.
  • After the break and some easy run the "tempo guy" started again to increase the pace and again was looking behind to urge us to follow him. This didn't happened and it just stopped to wait for us but for me this looked more like a needed break for him. This story happened after all climbs except the last climb of the day.
  • As a general mention the the "tempo guy" didn't carried any water with him or something to eat. He was just saying that for this distance he doesn't need any water.
  • After the last climb I was getting annoyed by the "tempo guy" so I decide to increase the pace in order to prevent his surge. Basically km 19 and 20 were the fastest flat km of the run and I kept the pace in a way that I heard their steps behind since I didn't had any intention to split the group. After those 2km the "tempo guy" was just screaming to stop since he needs a break.
  • From this point to the finish we went to an easy pace however the "tempo guy" constantly remained behind and switched to walking (even on downhill) sine he was done.
  • I didn't counted all the breaks but there were at least 10 breaks during the 25km of the course.

The running scene is not too develop in my town so this is the only option for a group run for me. Are there any training gains of those kind of runs?
Quote Reply
Re: Rank my group long run as a workout [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any need to rank the workout? A 2 hour plus run is always going to have some kind of effect, so it's not a wasted session, but the time could be used better if you are preparing for a specific race. Though there is a good chance, wherever you are in the world that you have no races on the horizon, so if this is just to maintain fitness/build a base, it is serving it's purpose. Not really ideal to be waiting around for the people your a running with, if you can find someone of similar pace or don't mind running on your own, I'm sure it would be a more enjoyable experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Rank my group long run as a workout [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
Is there any need to rank the workout?

Spot on. No one workout should ever matter enough to be "ranked" If you're doing that, you're missing the point.

The thing that makes you good at running is the area under the graph over a long period of time, not any one day peak.
Last edited by: JoeO: Nov 15, 20 23:03
Quote Reply
Re: Rank my group long run as a workout [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
42point2 wrote:

Spot on. No one workout should ever matter enough to be "ranked" If you're doing that, you're missing the point.

The thing that makes you good at running is the area under the graph over a long period of time, not any one day peak.
Maybe I didn't used the right terminology. To rephrase a little bit, can a run with 10 or more breaks (one break every 2-2,5km) that are totaling almost 30 minutes can be considered a training workout? If yes, then it is an endurance workout?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is definitely a training workout. It's not an endurance workout, at least not like, say, an uninterrupted long run. But long runs are dramatically overrated anyway. We do what we can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nav|gator wrote:
JoeO wrote:
42point2 wrote:

Maybe I didn't used the right terminology. To rephrase a little bit, can a run with 10 or more breaks (one break every 2-2,5km) that are totaling almost 30 minutes can be considered a training workout? If yes, then it is an endurance workout?

I know what you mean. My regularly long run 18km - 22km+ I can do without stops, but a few times I've had to stop to take a crap, stopped multiple times to drink when it's hot, shoe laces etc One 18km run I did at a pretty impressive pace that looked good on Strava until I recalled that I had literally stopped 8 or 9 times. It ended up being more of an interval session! So yeah I'm more conscious of that now and try to limit my stops. A long run with lots of stops isn't a long run really.. well it is and it isn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously... why rank the run?

Glad to hear both you and Tempo guy got in a 25km run.
He sounds a bit inexperienced... or stubborn.

But how about you do you... and you let tempo guy do his own thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you should tell the tempo guy to GTFO if he doesn't want to go with the group. Id go into your next one with a defined pace and time and tell anyone if they want to go outside this they should do it on their own or plan to double back if they want to add mileage to what was already planned.

If you or anyone else didn't get hurt or to sore to hit your work outs the next couple of days I'd say it went (annoyingly) well :)

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Rank my group long run as a workout [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Sounds like you should tell the tempo guy to GTFO if he doesn't want to go with the group

I find the phrase "This isn't a fucking race, douchebag" to be appropriate, here, but I'm from Jersey

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply