Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ramp Test on TT - which position?
Quote | Reply
I haven't found information about it in previous posts.

I can "feel" that my TT FTP is significantly lower than my Road Bike FTP (would estimate ~280w v. 305w) based on training rides / RPE / HR.

I did a TT fit and I am happy with it - just need more time to ride in the position (I am already seeing my HR getting lower for same power output).

Starting back the training season and I'd like to do most of it on my TT bike - which position do you generally use for the Ramp Test? Seated with hands on Bull Horns or Seated and tucked on the aero extensions?

I'd argue to be "tucked in aero" if I was using the 20mins test (or 60mins) but I'd much prefer the ramp one .. and as this one ends up significantly above FTP (by construction..) I am a bit unsure about position.

TLDR: Ramp Test on TT => Bull Horns or Tri-bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [ThibThib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In honor of the "F" in FTP test, my vote is TT position. Test in the position you're going to race in.

That said, I doubt it really matters for matters much for measuring changes in fitness as long as you're consistent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also bounce back and forth between TT position and road bike position. My TT position is lower than my upright position as well. I decided to do my LT intervals in aero and my vo2 max intervals hand on bullhorns. I have to manually increase and decrease my FTP depending on the position I choose for each workout. Luckily the ramp test isn't taxing mentally or physically and it is surprisingly accurate. So keeping a true, updated number for each shouldn't be too hard.

Coaches, is this an advisable approach to this question? Or should we just suck it up and get our TT position FTP as strong as our upright?
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
In honor of the "F" in FTP test, my vote is TT position. Test in the position you're going to race in.

That said, I doubt it really matters for matters much for measuring changes in fitness as long as you're consistent.

The answer to the topic is self explanatory to me!

Why test for something by avoiding what you're testing for in the first place!

I think people grossly overestimate what they can do in TT position for an hour or even 20min relative to their 20min road bike power. I know there's unicorns out there, but the numbers often shock people how low they are.

IMHO, the ramp test not only probably overestimates normal road bike power......it would be worse for TT because it limits the time down in the position even more than just a 20min test.

I think if they're set on doing something shorter, do the "depleted" 20min test. Do some kind of ragged 5min all out effort, then do 20min.........without leaving the TT position.

The other shocking part on this is if people complain about being down there to test, or do workouts.......where do you think you'll be racing? Not in the ideal TT position and sucking a face full of wind going slower.

It sucks, but just do the test the "right" way down in TT. And a good test, not a super short one. Then do the workouts in TT. It sucks, but it works. Also, don't cheat the results trying to mess with the workout target powers. They'll be lower than road bike. Do them as planned and the gains will come.

While I can understand folks doing TT workouts "in the skis" for the hard work, then sitting up between intervals..........if your race is a 40k......where should you be for the entire 40k? Around an hour for most folks. In the extensions, holding steady.

If you can't, adjust bike fit so you can. A less aggressive bike fit where you can stay down 100% of the time is faster than a more aggressive one where you have to come up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Upright FTP on a TT bike is a useless metric.

Get in the bars. And I'd even argue the 20' will be substantially better than the ramp test
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclosure - I am not fast (but I do spend a lot of time training)

Over winter I do my FTP tests on the bullhorns, because that is how I spend almost all of my time on the trainer in the "offseason". I put my phone on the aero bars to watch whatever it is I will be watching, and have trainer road up on the ipad on my desk. Once spring rolls around and I start prepping for races/riding outside, that is when I switch over to spending more time in my race position and measuring my power while aero.

Realistically, I don't want to train over winter in my race position with nothing on the horizon until late spring. It will be more miserable than it needs to be for fitness building in December. I just need to work on my fitness while also keeping my mind occupied. I become a bit more focused on my power in race position once I start to see light at the end of the tunnel. Probably not the best approach, but the thought of attempting a winter block on my aero bars makes me not want to train at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all !

“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn’t.” .... I am afraid that will be on the TT bars !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Avoid riding on the base bars as much as possible. Only use them when you're climbing or braking. If you're on the TT bike, you need to be in aero. This goes for training, testing, and racing.

The only exception, IMO, are intervals that go over 120% of FTP, but even then, I make an effort to do a portion in aero.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Dec 15, 20 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
trail wrote:

I think people grossly overestimate what they can do in TT position for an hour or even 20min relative to their 20min road bike power. I know there's unicorns out there, but the numbers often shock people how low they are.

IMHO, the ramp test not only probably overestimates normal road bike power......it would be worse for TT because it limits the time down in the position even more than just a 20min test.

I think if they're set on doing something shorter, do the "depleted" 20min test. Do some kind of ragged 5min all out effort, then do 20min.........without leaving the TT position.

The other shocking part on this is if people complain about being down there to test, or do workouts.......where do you think you'll be racing? Not in the ideal TT position and sucking a face full of wind going slower.

It sucks, but just do the test the "right" way down in TT. And a good test, not a super short one. Then do the workouts in TT. It sucks, but it works. Also, don't cheat the results trying to mess with the workout target powers. They'll be lower than road bike. Do them as planned and the gains will come.

While I can understand folks doing TT workouts "in the skis" for the hard work, then sitting up between intervals..........if your race is a 40k......where should you be for the entire 40k? Around an hour for most folks. In the extensions, holding steady.

If you can't, adjust bike fit so you can. A less aggressive bike fit where you can stay down 100% of the time is faster than a more aggressive one where you have to come up.

N=1 but I'm totally the opposite- the ramp test undershoots my FTP in the TT position by a good amount. I usually reach a point where I can hold onto the wattage at that step for a little longer, but I don't have the physical leverage to push down hard enough to make the jump up to the next step. As an example, TR's ramp test over the summer would've put me at 267W, but I did a 10mi TT where I had 315W NP for 22 mins all in aero. Now my indoor FTP is a lot lower than my outdoor FTP, but I found that I hit all the TR workouts as intended indoors (HR/RPE aligned with the targeted zone, able to complete hard workouts) by manually setting my FTP at 280W.
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikeridesbikes wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
trail wrote:

N=1 but I'm totally the opposite- the ramp test undershoots my FTP in the TT position by a good amount. I usually reach a point where I can hold onto the wattage at that step for a little longer, but I don't have the physical leverage to push down hard enough to make the jump up to the next step. As an example, TR's ramp test over the summer would've put me at 267W, but I did a 10mi TT where I had 315W NP for 22 mins all in aero. Now my indoor FTP is a lot lower than my outdoor FTP, but I found that I hit all the TR workouts as intended indoors (HR/RPE aligned with the targeted zone, able to complete hard workouts) by manually setting my FTP at 280W.

I guess and check a lot. Try a workout. If I feel I could have done a whole extra set or entirely bail on a set........I adjust up or down.

What was the AP? I'd assume for TT probably still around 310w or so. Even then, that's 43w difference.

43w is unacceptable! If I were you I would have been a bit angry that I had even wasted my time doing their ramp test.

I did a 40k at 260w in TT outdoors recently. That as ftp in Zwift is apparently way too low for their TT tuneup plan. Except for that one VO2 workout where it thinks somehow I can magically do 2min at 410w in TT, then 2min at 370, then 2min at 350, then 2min at 330.......like, WTF!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are using it to define training zones for workouts that you will perform in the TT position then, as others have said, surely you find your FTP in the TT position.

If you are using it to define or inform you about target power for a race (which might be a bad idea anyway) then it might not be so straightforward.

My personal experience is that TT power < pursuit bars power, but also that indoor power < outdoor power. Purely through trial and error I know that the FTP I gain through training indoor on the pursuit bars DOES translate pretty nicely to target power for outdoor races in TT position. Because, swings and roundabouts.

I have used my indoor (pursuit bars) FTP and a target TSS to set the power profile for a full distance race (using Best Bike Split) in the past and it worked out well. But I only know that because I've tried it out and learned that I could still run after riding at that power.

But, in summary, it depends what you want to do with that FTP number.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If on the trainer, I would do the test in the position you can put the most stress on yourself.

I would also train in the position you can put the most stress on yourself.

The only exception to that would be if you are within 12 weeks of your racing season.
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikeridesbikes wrote:

That's my feeling as well.. The Ramp Test ends with a last step at 133% of your FTP ( given FTP is calculated as average power of the last minute x 75%) - hence why I was not entirely sure it made sense to do it all the way on the TT bars as that is a significant amount of power.
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
If on the trainer, I would do the test in the position you can put the most stress on yourself.

The only exception to that would be if you are within 12 weeks of your racing season.

Extending that logic, that would be training on the road bike up until T-12w and then switch on to the TT (and on the extensions) - would that be better than trying a full season on the TT?

Last season I trained on the road bike and switched 6weeks before Race Date (which in the end got cancelled ..) - but found a BIG (~+10%) gap in FTP between the 2 and 6 weeks seemed not enough to get accustomed back to the aero position
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped using the ramp test for TT position. I wasn't getting getting accurate results with it.

I think it’s because if I’m ever over 105%ish of FTP then I’m up on the hoods anyways (eg a steep climb). So doing the ramp test at way higher than FTP in aero was using muscles in a way I never, ever use them.

So I’ve gone back to the 20 min test. At least it seems better representation of my fitness in aero. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThibThib wrote:
I haven't found information about it in previous posts.

I can "feel" that my TT FTP is significantly lower than my Road Bike FTP (would estimate ~280w v. 305w) based on training rides / RPE / HR.

I did a TT fit and I am happy with it - just need more time to ride in the position (I am already seeing my HR getting lower for same power output).

Starting back the training season and I'd like to do most of it on my TT bike - which position do you generally use for the Ramp Test? Seated with hands on Bull Horns or Seated and tucked on the aero extensions?

I'd argue to be "tucked in aero" if I was using the 20mins test (or 60mins) but I'd much prefer the ramp one .. and as this one ends up significantly above FTP (by construction..) I am a bit unsure about position.

TLDR: Ramp Test on TT => Bull Horns or Tri-bars?

One thing about the ramp test, especially if you have that big of a delta (btwn road and TT position), is that the delta is likely not linear with respect to intensity. At 75%, there may be minimal difference btwn the respective power outputs, but at 100%, that difference is quite a bit greater (and noticeable). That difference is even larger at intensity above 100%. 5 min VO2max intervals on the road bike is relatively easy; 5 min VO2max on the TT bike (even adjusted for ITT power) feels a lot harder.

Why this matters is that a significant portion of a ramp test is performed above FTP, which means that whereas one may be able to hold the steps after 100% FTP for a duration of x seconds in the bullhorn/road position, that duration may end up being 75%-80% of x on the TT position (even when adjusted for different FTP).
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
I stopped using the ramp test for TT position. I wasn't getting getting accurate results with it.

I think it’s because if I’m ever over 105%ish of FTP then I’m up on the hoods anyways (eg a steep climb). So doing the ramp test at way higher than FTP in aero was using muscles in a way I never, ever use them.

So I’ve gone back to the 20 min test. At least it seems better representation of my fitness in aero. YMMV.

I have pretty much stopped the ramp test too, even though I was testing in aero. My upper limits are strong, and thus I was testing too high for what I could actually sustain in 4rides/week on a TrainerRoad plan. But, I'm generally between 380-405W year round depending on the time of year, so I just manually change ftp based fitness and on feel now.

I'd do the 20 minute test if I wanted a really accurate number, but I am close enough and don't need the abuse! Those are rough...although I did a 10 mile TT last summer which amounted to a 21 minute ftp test, and Trainingpeaks told me my ftp was 35W higher now...which was very unrealistic at least for triathlon. Maybe if I raced bikes only.

So, test in aero and maybe don't believe your ramp test results...

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is Slowtwitch... but. I really wonder what % of y'all do your indoor training/testing/racing in the aero-position.

To be able to do this one would need.

• A hell of a great cooling system in the pain cave.
  • A sustainable (read that comfortable) aero position for the indoor trainer.

I find that the comfortable position that I have dialed in on my TT bike that enables me to spend 5-6 hours in aero on the road, is very uncomfortable indeed while on rollers/zwift/Computrainer.

I think I am not alone with this situation.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spend all my time in aero position during intervals (indoor and outdoor). Warmup, cooldown, and rest intervals are out of aero (both indoor and outdoor). The only exceptions for me is zwift racing and vo2 intervals under 60 seconds.

My indoor and outdoor riding numbers match up closely and I can spend 4+ hours on the trainer in aero position for 95% of the time.

My "FTP" has only gone up ~20 watts since 2012/2013 but I can hold a lot more power in a sprint/olympic/70.3/140.6 now than I could then.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThibThib wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Extending that logic, that would be training on the road bike up until T-12w and then switch on to the TT (and on the extensions) - would that be better than trying a full season on the TT?

Last season I trained on the road bike and switched 6weeks before Race Date (which in the end got cancelled ..) - but found a BIG (~+10%) gap in FTP between the 2 and 6 weeks seemed not enough to get accustomed back to the aero position

For most it probably would be in a road bike position while indoors. I don't understand why people think that going easier on the bike in one position translates to going harder in a different situation.

If you have a 10% gap in the ability to hold threshold power between your road bike and tri bike while riding outdoors then there's something wrong with one of the positions or you're not adapted to it. Hip angles should be nearly the same, one is just rotated forward from the other.

Here's a question for you: Do you find a 10% difference between your ability to ride at 70-80% of threshold in either position? Could you ride at 80% of threshold on either bike for 2.5 to 3 hours and still run the same afterwards?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the early preparation phase, I do not pay any particular attention to the position. When sitting in an upright position, you can usually produce a few watts more, and in a well-designed training programme a stronger stimulus usually translates into more efficiency and far-reaching adaptation. In the first part of the preparation period I recommend holding a position in which you can produce high watts most easily. We strive for “more sugar in sugar”, so it makes no sense to hold the aero position merely to feel less comfortable and so our sportswatch shows a few watts less. Exceptions include low-cadence exercises, and only in this case where aero is mandatory during this period! In the specific phase you should use the aerobars more often, especially during the race pace intensity.

Same story with testing - when you have few months before your A-race go for higher wattage, if you have few weeks before your A-race go for the position. Mind it is easier to keep the position with 75-85% FTP range (IM or IM 70.3 distance)! I have some very strong athletes that would struggle with the aeroposition going around 100% FTP, but they can go for 80% for 4h30' during an IM race without discomfort. So it is about timing and your race intensity :)

coaching via trinergy.pl
TP Training Plans
IG @kowalski.coach
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

For most it probably would be in a road bike position while indoors. I don't understand why people think that going easier on the bike in one position translates to going harder in a different situation.

If you have a 10% gap in the ability to hold threshold power between your road bike and tri bike while riding outdoors then there's something wrong with one of the positions or you're not adapted to it. Hip angles should be nearly the same, one is just rotated forward from the other.

Here's a question for you: Do you find a 10% difference between your ability to ride at 70-80% of threshold in either position? Could you ride at 80% of threshold on either bike for 2.5 to 3 hours and still run the same afterwards?

I'd think it's pretty normal to have a lower FTP on the TT than on the road bike - which is totally fine as you get more aero, and so end up overall with a faster speed.
What is important I believe is to find the sweet spot between power generation and being aero.

I'd think such sweet spot would be closer to a 5% drop in FTP rather than 10% (at least for me).

My fit is fairly aggressive but was fine with it the previous season. I just think that 6weeks was not enough to get back into it, and 12weeks was maybe better.
I was following the 80/20 plan, and so used to do lot of 60" riding at ~77% FTP on the road bike.
Straight after switching to the TT, I had to scale down the FTP by ~ 90% to keep same RPE/HR for that intensity.
~10-12weeks later, it is closer to ~95% which might be acceptable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's normal but not 10%.

Personally I can do nearly the same FTP on my Road, Tri, Track and Mountain bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ramp Test on TT - which position? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
mikeridesbikes wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
trail wrote:

I guess and check a lot. Try a workout. If I feel I could have done a whole extra set or entirely bail on a set........I adjust up or down.

What was the AP? I'd assume for TT probably still around 310w or so. Even then, that's 43w difference.

43w is unacceptable! If I were you I would have been a bit angry that I had even wasted my time doing their ramp test.

I did a 40k at 260w in TT outdoors recently. That as ftp in Zwift is apparently way too low for their TT tuneup plan. Except for that one VO2 workout where it thinks somehow I can magically do 2min at 410w in TT, then 2min at 370, then 2min at 350, then 2min at 330.......like, WTF!?

AP was 309W IIRC- TT was pretty consistent rolling hills plus a couple turns. But in fairness there's no way I could hold 310W for 20 min on the indoor trainer in aero at that time. I think that I use my body to rock the bike and generate power, and I have way less ability to do that on the trainer (also I can't consistently sit as far forward in the saddle on the trainer). I also had a good warmup and caffeine for that TT which I don't for normal workouts, so that allowed me to push a little more power too.

Like you, I've gotten really good at training by feel/RPE and heart rate, so I much prefer that approach to set actual zones. But I do use the ramp test to see if I've gained fitness since the last test- e.g. if my ramp test is 5W higher than last time, I know that I should adjust by current FTP up by ~5W (but I don't use the ramp test to set that actual number). I'm always conservative with my FTP as well because I want to consistently hit my workouts, and I want to make sure I'm not accidentally pushing up into the next zone and causing excess fatigue (e.g. riding at threshold instead of sweetspot, which is way more taxing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest what position you do the test in can depend on the focus of your next training block.

If you are using the off season (assuming you are northern hemisphere) to do more vo2 stuff, then I'd say use the position that lets you work hard enough to get the best results and maximum load in future sessions. If that means bull horns and getting a higher figure on the ramp, then I don't see an issue with using that for the training block. I wouldn't use the FTP figure generated as a race guide though. As others have said FTP test results are just a guide anyway. Race numbers need to be figured out in your pre A event race sims on the road.

As for difference in ftp road Vs TT, you are about 10%, which I think is fairly standard? Hopefully your better TT CDA significantly outweighs this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next