Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rainy triathlon - suggestions?
Quote | Reply
I have an olympic distance triathlon this upcoming Sunday. The forecast has consistently had scattered thunderstorms for the last 4-5 days so I am starting to mentally prepare for that reality. It will be my first time racing in the rain. What are your suggestions for a race day that includes rain or thunderstorms? I have a disk brake road bike so not worried about brakes. I have wet lube that I will be applying.
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Finish the swim.
2. Stay upright on the bike.
3. Run fast.

Keep you run shoes dry. Put the in a plastic grocery bag upside down. They are going to get wet, but there's something about starting with dry feet.

If you use socks have new socks for the run.

I tape my pinky and ring toes to help prevent blisters.

Wet and cold days are about execution. You don't have to be fast... Just dont slow down like everyone else does.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 19, 19 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear your wetsuit on the bike and run.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put anti fog on your glasses and consider a little silicon on the outside to clear the water (on the bike....).
The good news is you won't have to worry about hydration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay in bed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having just raced in my first rainy, hail-y, AND thunderstorming triathlon a month ago, I will say I showed up mostly unprepared - BUT I stayed upright the whole race and finished with a decent enough result.

Pre race - do you have a parka from swimming? I wore mine over my wetsuit and then put it back on immediately after the race. The best decision I made all day was to bring the parka.

Swim - swim is pretty normal. If you're a fast swimmer, the exit will be wetter than you're used to. Just stay right side up on your way to T1.

Bike - I'm no expert on this one, but I definitely rode more conservatively on descents, corners, and when around other people. I opted for a regular helmet instead of my aero helmet. The ability to hear and use peripherals was really helpful. I could have been more aggressive on the straight sections while in the bars, but I didn't know the course well enough to know when I'd need to jump to the brakes.

Run - I second the recommendation to keep your shoes dry. I forgot about my shoes and started the run wearing puddles.

Post race - keep your post-race clothes dry! If your car is close by, just keep them in there. If not, bring some heavy duty plastic bags and double bag your clothes. And put your parka back on.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember to hydrate. Not always top of mind when it's raining.

Rainy days are also the perfect time to go old school in Speedo - style briefs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful on the corners of the bike.
Don't wear Nike Vaporfly 4% (they suck on smooth wet pavement).
Wear clear goggles since the sun won't shine.
If there is lightening, bail on the race, it's not worth getting hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
....It will be my first time racing in the rain. What are your suggestions for a race day that includes rain or thunderstorms?....
Rain - No different from any other race except it'll be raining
Thunderstorms - Decide if it's close enough to be a safety risk. If not it's the same as any other race except there'll be thunderstorms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Jun 20, 19 2:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did one last year where I swear I finished the bike wetter than the run, on the first lap of the bike it was so strong people were just laughing. Even the local geese got confused and just sat around in the road. Safe to say I learned a few things.

1. Running shoes get stored upside down so they don't fill up (Some might suggest an upside down bag, I tried that but it just filled with water and made things worse, though to be fair my transition stall was in the middle of a stream that had appeared.)
  2. Anti-fog on glasses or go without.
  3. On the bike play it safe until you know where the grip is. If you are doing laps of a shorter course pay close attention to where the potholes, manhole covers, tram lines etc and other things on the road are, in case it floods.
  4. Don't forget wet lube
  5. Make sure you bring trainers that don't become roller skates in the wet.

Oh and if you use a towel in transition don't bloody bother. Does nothing and carrying it afterwards when it is completely soaked through and heavy is uncool.
Last edited by: Denning76: Jun 20, 19 3:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did a sprint in the rain last Sunday, it really depends on how warm it is.

My Garmin measured just under 60°F and I was fine with my normal tri kit. If it was any cooler I may have opted for arm warmers or a jacket on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim-run wetsuit would be a good option if it was utter filth, ie cold wet continuous rain rather than the odd shower or warm rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use caution on the bike, especially cornering but I assume you've trained in wet conditions.
Don't obsess about trying to keep everything dry in transition but I'd suggest putting your running shoes (and socks?), along with a small towel to wipe mud/grass off your feet, in a plastic bag to keep them dry so they aren't waterlogged when you put them on. Helmet upright with glasses underneath.
Focus on the things you can control, not the weather (just make sure to have warmer clothes/rain gear if the temps are low).
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than being a little more careful on the bike, turns & braking, just race like you normally would. I keep my sneakers in a plastic bag and sitting on top of my tri bag, just to keep them dry before the run. It feels so much better putting on a dry pair of sneakers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drop tire pressure 5 pounds front and rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best bits of cycling kit I have is my Perfetto Light jersey. I run quite hot anyway, so wear it in all weathers with arm warmers. I have worn it in some early/late season pool triathlons; the right size will be close fitting & pretty aero for the protections it affords. I would highly recommend it for any cr*ppy weather event where you would consider a jacket/gilet.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
drop tire pressure 5 pounds front and rear.
Doesn't that somewhat depend you're existing pressure, your route, and what you weigh?!

If you already ride with pressure just above pinch puncture territory, it would be unwise to drop it further. If you generally ride with over-inflated tyres such that road contact is a problem on rough surfaces and grip is therefore particularly worrying in the wet, you should reduce it anyway, not just in the wet. How much by depends not on the weather but on where you are already, what tyres and rims you're using, what you weigh and the surface roughness you expect to encounter.
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You ask a question and then tell me I'm wrong....sounds like you have it all figured out.

Happy racing!
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
You ask a question and then tell me I'm wrong....sounds like you have it all figured out.

Happy racing!
Huh?
The question was rhetorical, and my explanation provided.
So yes, I believe you are wrong to give that advice as a blanket rule. There are cases where it may be appropriate, but it's not universal by any means.
I provided my rationale. Feel free to disagree if I'm misunderstanding something. I provided my argument to facilitate exactly that. I don't know why you would take issue with how I pointed out my disagreement. I thought I went out of my way to explain my reasons. You shouldn't be upset with me for pointing out you are wrong, and if you're not, you're welcome to respond to my points.

I assume the "reduce by 5psi" statement is a legacy idea from when riders pumped their tyres as high as they'd go thinking that was optimum? In which case the tyres were already overpressure for good grip and handling so I can see why they may have favoured reducing the problem when it was wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will get a lot of advice about lowering tire pressure. But it comes with a lot of provisos.
What pressure do you normally run at, what size tires do you have, what sort of tire do you have and what do you weigh.

So for example, if you are on 175lbs on 25mm tires at 130psi or 120 or 110 lowering the tire pressure 5 or 10 lbs won't do you any good. Because you should already be at 90, before you lower the pressure. On 28mm tires you could be at 80 or 70. If you weigh 150, you still haven't reached your minimum.

The physics are simple. Due to the size of the tire contact and typical loads, any tire works in a straight line. The contact point is small enough that it penetrates any surface water (except big puddles and nothing helps there). Straight lines are somewhat typical for Triathlon courses.

The hardest turn you are likely to have is the the turn at the halfway of an out and back. Otherwise you are going to do at most half a dozen left or half a dozen right, depending on whether you are going clockwise or anticlockwise. So not much time to lose. Mind you, even in the dry there's always some twerp who bottles a corner, braking late or over estimating their cornering abilities. So making the turn slightly slower is a safe bet.

If you want to test the limits, that's called practice. nobody practices on race day.

Nearly, if not all, of the advice you will find online is about road racing conditions and that ,believe it or not, is a different sport, unrelated to Triathlon. There, having some grip is useful on a corner as they tend not to slow down much in a peleton. There is also some use in having grip for the final sprint, as wheelspin is a problem when you put out 700w or more. Again, not so much of a problem at 200w.

There are some techniques that can save a fall on cornering in the wet, which I use, but these require a little practice, in the wet. So if you are overtaking anyone on a corner, be aware that they can be just as dangerous for you as the wet road you are both on. And stay away from painted lines, road covers and gratings, they are the equivalent of skating on ice.

As for braking, as you have disc and we can assume you are going straight, you will outbrake everyone around you as 90% will still be on rim brakes.

This all assumes you are not in a draft legal race.

If you live in Canada, you probably own elbow pads.....:0)
If there are thunderstorms, the swim is off, as is the bike and the run.

Have fun
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Jun 20, 19 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had this. Only Xterra Tri. For me, it has become "Make sure you have the correct wheels!" (different wheels have different tires). Doing mud in near slicks is not fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Pwraddr wrote:

Happy racing!
Huh?
The question was rhetorical, and my explanation provided.
So yes, I believe you are wrong to give that advice as a blanket rule. There are cases where it may be appropriate, but it's not universal by any means.
I provided my rationale. Feel free to disagree if I'm misunderstanding something. I provided my argument to facilitate exactly that. I don't know why you would take issue with how I pointed out my disagreement. I thought I went out of my way to explain my reasons. You shouldn't be upset with me for pointing out you are wrong, and if you're not, you're welcome to respond to my points.

I assume the "reduce by 5psi" statement is a legacy idea from when riders pumped their tyres as high as they'd go thinking that was optimum? In which case the tyres were already overpressure for good grip and handling so I can see why they may have favoured reducing the problem when it was wet.

I agree with you, he's wrong to give that advice as a blanket rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
2. Stay upright on the bike.

This^^^^^is the most import suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My normal warm-up routine includes a bike ride. After I got a flat early in a race where I rode wet roads during my warm-up, I decided it wasn't worth the risk of getting something stuck in the tire during the warm-up ride. I swim and run a bit longer in the warm-up to make up for the missing bike ride. Of course, I clean my tires with my hand after every pre-race warm-up ride no matter what the road conditions.

If it's raining pre-race, I normally try to secure a transition spot but wait as long as possible to put the bike in the rack. Agree about putting the run shoes in a bag in transition. If getting cold due to the rain is a concern, don't forget the toe covers for the bike shoes. I doubt this will be an issue at a June race, but I did a race in the rain in September last year where the air temp was in the low 50s. I struggled putting on fingered gloves, so decided that I'd have a pair of neoprene mittens ready for a similar circumstance down the road. Have fun!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 20, 19 7:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next