Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rain in Louisville
Quote | Reply
It finally rained in Louisville and along the Ohio River Valley. This means that the algae blooms may get swept away and conditions will be great for swimming. Runoff water will continue to raise the river level. HOWEVER, the current will be very slack by Sunday, and water temps will be in the mid to upper 70’s.

Weather this week looks great for everything to be a “GO” on Sunday. Sunday high-low temps will be 67/44. If you don’t get a PR in these conditions, you need to find a better training plan!
Quote Reply
Re: Rain in Louisville [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For us crappy swimmers, we're hoping the river temps drop enough to make it wetsuit legal; current or no.

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lookin' chilly for Sunday am.

Being nervous about injury during training--I waited till this am to try and register and doh..closed till Athlete Check-in. I won't get there until Friday midday. As a first time IMer, that's stress I didn't need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who raced last year in that awful weather I'm super excited what the forecast is showing! I can handle chilly temps in the morning because I know the sun will warm us up. It's the chilly temps combined with rain that makes things miserable. I'm still planning on packing rain stuff because I don't trust the weather in Louisville. It should be a good race day, weather wise. I'm anticipating that the current will not help much and my times will be similar to a lake swim.

I do think it will be wetsuit legal or at least wetsuit optional. It'll feel like bathwater because of the chilly air temps. I'm planning on wearing my wetsuit even if it's optional. I'm not the greatest swimmer so I need every advantage I can get.
Quote Reply
Re: Rain in Louisville [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they usually find a way to make it legal if it is close. also, those cold nights can bring the water temp down quickly. lastly, it is really just a few extra minutes of swimming without a suit, don't stress too much about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rain in Louisville [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water will feel very warm even without a wetsuit, given the predicted air temps.
Quote Reply
Re: Rain in Louisville [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forecast now is a Saturday night low of 41 degrees. That wetsuit will come in handy standing in line early Sunday morning!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Rain in Louisville [trigirl2013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigirl2013 wrote:
As someone who raced last year in that awful weather I'm super excited what the forecast is showing! I can handle chilly temps in the morning because I know the sun will warm us up. It's the chilly temps combined with rain that makes things miserable. I'm still planning on packing rain stuff because I don't trust the weather in Louisville. It should be a good race day, weather wise. I'm anticipating that the current will not help much and my times will be similar to a lake swim.

I do think it will be wetsuit legal or at least wetsuit optional. It'll feel like bathwater because of the chilly air temps. I'm planning on wearing my wetsuit even if it's optional. I'm not the greatest swimmer so I need every advantage I can get.

The challenge for sunday will be wearing the appropriate attire getting on the bike. Like you said, it will be chilly but it will warm up. Disposable gloves for sure but Im not sure if I will need arm warmers.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Rain in Louisville [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced it in 2015 with similar temps, albeit a bit warmer. 49F when we got in the water, making the water (which was about 68F) feel great. That year I decided to put on an old (disposable) pair of arm warmers in T1, which I took off and threw away at an aid station about an hour into the race once the sun was high enough. As you probably know, it's not easy getting them onto wet arms.

We had a high of about 75F that day. Best race weather I've ever experienced.
Quote Reply
Re: Rain in Louisville [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2016 for Louisville, I went and bought a $3 pair of soccer socks at WalMart, chopped the toes off, and had disposable arm warmers.

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply