Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Racing while pregnant?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I am a typical cardio junkie that is obsessed with racing triathlons. I am skipping this racing season because I am pregnant and due in a couple of months. Not racing has been really hard for me.

So, this weekend I was cheering for my husband at a local sprint triathlon when I saw this:

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

I am currently 7 months pregnant and my stomach looks smaller than that. In any case, even if that girl is in her second trimester, isn't it dangerous for her and her unborn baby to be racing a TRIATHLON? What if someone kicks hard in the stomach during the swim? Or if there is a crash on the bike (even if she has good bike handling skills despite the shifting center of gravity, there are factors outside of our control on the bike)? With a big belly it just seems like a really bad idea, no matter how big the urge to race is.

Should the race organizers put racing restrictions on women who are VERY visibly pregnant out of safety concerns? Am I too "old fashioned" in my approach to pregnancy (i.e. no triathlons...although I am ok with running races if a woman is able to)?
Last edited by: IronLady: Jun 9, 14 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Racing while pregnant? [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plot twist...she's not really pregnant & she won the Athena division.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF some of those things happened, such as a bike crash, obviously it wouldn't be ideal. However the chances of it happening, I think, are relatively low and the chances of it having any true impact on the baby's development probably even lower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about 6 months and also skipping this season. I won't even ride outside at this point because it's not worth the risk to me. I'll ride on the trainer, walk/waddle, swim, etc until I deliver if possible. I'm too dang competitive to do a race, even just for completion.

So while I wouldn't want people making official rules about it, it's not something I'm going to do. I imagine she knew the risk and decided it was acceptable.

I am jealous if she can still ride in the drops. I've already had to pop my handlebars up so I'm not squishing the kid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is nice that each person gets to make their own decisions about safety.

IronLady wrote:
Should the race organizers put racing restrictions on women who are VERY visibly pregnant out of safety concerns? Am I too "old fashioned" in my approach to pregnancy (i.e. no triathlons...although I am ok with running races if a woman is able to)?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Racing while pregnant? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah the is racing and taking the risk of crashing worth it? Worth losing your baby? You really have to weigh your costs.

My wife was very active during her pregnancy but not racing, she did teach a spin class on our babies due date!

She took the year off from racing also. I have other friends wives that have done run races, just not triathlons.

Hope that helps.

-Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I think it is nice that each person gets to make their own decisions about safety.

IronLady wrote:

But she's making decisions about two people's safety not just her own...

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Racing while pregnant? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, well that in that case let the government step in and regulate all pregnant women, because think of the children.

=)

nslckevin wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronLady wrote:

What happens if someone accidentally trips her at the start of the race? What if a car wanders onto the course?

Maybe we should wrap pregnant women in cotton padding and put them on 9 months bedrest.

One of my instructors in martial arts taught kick box aerobics and forms classes up to and including day of birth. Same for my wife's first Irish Dance teacher. If she feels she can handle the bike, great, more power to her.

But yes, let's get a groundswell of moral outrage going to we can further limit the ability of people to make their own decisions.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Oh, well that in that case let the government step in and regulate all pregnant women, because think of the children.

=)

nslckevin wrote:

I'm not thinking of the threat of crashing. On that point I would not argue with you. I'm thinking about knowing athlete's who were pregnant who were told by their doctor's to keep their heart rates relatively low. Like endurance zone. These data points are over 20 years old now, so doctor recommendations may have changed since then. But from that bit of knowledge racing seems like a less than good idea.

It's quite possible that this person was just taking an easy training day with a number pinned on. If that's not the case though it's quite possible that she was exercising very poor judgement.

Any doctors here who can comment?

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Races are not democratic by default and all athletes must abide by the rules set by the race organizers which were designed to ensure safety. This is why you can't chose to race without a helmet. Maybe not allowing VISIBLY really pregnant women to RACE in triathlons or bike races is a good safety precaution for the woman and the baby...I am not talking about pregnant women not racing at all or not being able to do anything, only where there is a risk of falling like on the bike.Isn't it common sense??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronLady wrote:
Races are not democratic by default and all athletes must abide by the rules set by the race organizers which were designed to ensure safety. This is why you can't chose to race without a helmet. Maybe not allowing VISIBLY really pregnant women to RACE in triathlons or bike races is a good safety precaution for the woman and the baby...I am not talking about pregnant women not racing at all or not being able to do anything, only where there is a risk of falling like on the bike.Isn't it common sense??

No its not, and people don't appreciate you trying to be our mother. Let the lady make her own decision. I bet I can find something you do wrong in your pregnancy (eat too much sugar? That has been shown to increase chances of certain problems. etc. etc. etc.).

if you really want to live in a nanny state, I am sure the UK has some open seats.
Last edited by: TunaBoo: Jun 9, 14 15:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronLady wrote:
I am not talking about pregnant women not racing at all or not being able to do anything, only where there is a risk of falling like on the bike.Isn't it common sense??

No. You can't legislate people's leisure time, and you can't legislate every choice they make.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Racing while pregnant? [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
IronLady wrote:

No its not, and people don't appreciate you trying to be our mother. Let the lady make her own decision. I bet I can find something you do wrong in your pregnancy (eat too much sugar? That has been shown to increase chances of certain problems. etc. etc. etc.).

if you really want to live in a nanny state, I am sure the UK has some open seats.
Yes.YEs. YES.

Quote | Reply
This guy is the premier researcher on exercising women during pregnancy. http://www.amazon.com/...ords=Clapp+pregnancy

Bottom line, many exercising activities are perfectly fine, including tri training. There is no heart rate limit, either, that has been gone for years, but a suggested ability to still talk while training. Also, if its a non impact, non dangerous activity, and you have a history of it, most research says to continue doing what you have been doing. My wife cycled thousands, yes thousands of outdoor miles during her two pregnancies, with some swimming, and running, too.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by IronLady [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Random thoughts:
a) A few years ago, a woman was visibly pregnant woman won first place in one mile OWS I was in. They *definitely* should not have let her compete, because, after all - I took third. Just kidding... I think most women know what their bodies can and can not handle.

b) I remember when I was pregnant, I asked my midwife if I could still ski - and she said - "yes - just don't fall".

c) My great- grandmother was a tobacco picker and worked all day in the heat with a heavy sack on her back while pregnant. She gave birth in the tobacco field. There was no maternity leave, and my great-grandfather had died working in the steel mill - so she was back at work the next day with both the baby and the sack of tobacco on her back. Started a lineage of pretty tough women.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronLady wrote:

absolutely NOT. (from a 4-kid mom who stopped riding her bike outside at 5 months with kid 1 (the rest i had become a couch potato).)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you and think it is selfish and irresponsible. There is the obvious risk with trauma inducing early labor, but also the risk of injury to mom like a traumatic brain injury or something that would impair her ability to be a parent to that child. If she was my wife, I wouldn't allow it.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing while pregnant? [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I'm a mom... are you saying that I shouldn't race triathlons? drive my car? or even go up and down the stairs in my two story house? because I might have an accident leaving me with a brain injury which would impair my ability to take care of my child. Wow. What about dads? This thread is absolutely hilarious! Glad I'm not your wife!

And while I did not race because I'm ridiculously competitive and I obviously was not fast during pregnancy, I stuck with training all summer. Summer of 2012 to boot. And it was hot like 100+ hot for months... somebody should have locked me up! Healthy baby girl despite my obviously disregard for her health ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Racing while pregnant? [gwaveswims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does she get to race in the 0-1 age group as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing while pregnant? [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, since my daughter hasn't raced, the answer is no. Perhaps you should ask someone it applies to...
Quote Reply
Re: Racing while pregnant? [gwaveswims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP stated that this racer was advanced in her pregnancy. I doubt her OB would have encouraged her to participate. But you run with it however you like.
As far as the dad part of your comment, I find I take a lot less risks in life with two at home in diapers.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing while pregnant? [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
I agree with you and think it is selfish and irresponsible. There is the obvious risk with trauma inducing early labor, but also the risk of injury to mom like a traumatic brain injury or something that would impair her ability to be a parent to that child. If she was my wife, I wouldn't allow it.

Haha - if I threw out a "I will not allow it" on the home front, I would no longer have a wife to be overly protective of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forty years ago the first triathlon was held, and soon after the U.S. Supreme Court issued a landmark decision affirming a pregnant woman's right to choose to participate in that triathlon.

Did I miss that decision being overturned?
Quote Reply

Prev Next