Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing this weekend with a hop in my wheel
Quote | Reply
I'm racing the Raleigh 70.3 this weekend and I have a problem with a hop in my wheel.

I've been training on a set of Aksiums for the past 6 months. A few weeks ago I rotated in my EC90 rear wheel (tubular) to get a feel for how things were going, and I noticed the wheel had a hop to it. I then remembered it had been there before from a bad glue job a year or two ago, but I haven't ridden on it and forgot about it. The result is that the tire is a few millimeters wider in diameter at one point than the rest of the wheel.

So I started riding on it, and generally I can't feel it. When I start riding above 25mph, I begin to notice it's there. I started rationalizing with myself for too long, and now I am in a predicament.

Should I commit to racing my 70.3 this weekend on a wheel with a small hop to it, or should I just default back to the Aksium wheel set I've been training with the past few months? Safety-wise I can't see much of an issue with the 70.3, other than the annoyance. But I feel like the aerodynamics of the EC90 is mitigated by the bumpiness, and it may be better to ride on another wheelset.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing this weekend with a hop in my wheel [thekidd142] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say the tire is 'wider' in one spot, do you actually mean 'higher', as in a vertical bump?

Assuming it is a vertical bump in a very small area, especially if located at the valve area, its a bad glue job and/or the valve area of the tire has a bit too thick of material around it causing a bump.

If the tire is still in really good condition, I'd remove it and try re-gluing it. Or, go to the LBS and buy a new tire. Try mounting it without glue first, see if it will sit properly without a bump. Then glue it, taking care to make sure the valve is in perfectly straight. If it is at an angle, you'll have a bump for sure.

Lastly, do the same as me, sell the tubies and convert to clinchers....
Quote Reply
Re: Racing this weekend with a hop in my wheel [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
When you say the tire is 'wider' in one spot, do you actually mean 'higher', as in a vertical bump?

Assuming it is a vertical bump in a very small area, especially if located at the valve area, its a bad glue job and/or the valve area of the tire has a bit too thick of material around it causing a bump.

Lastly, do the same as me, sell the tubies and convert to clinchers....

Depending on how you're looking at the tire, yes. If you are looking at the bike/tire dead on, it would be a vertical bump. If you are looking at the bike/tire profile, it would appear wider in diameter.

Quote:
If the tire is still in really good condition, I'd remove it and try re-gluing it. Or, go to the LBS and buy a new tire. Try mounting it without glue first, see if it will sit properly without a bump. Then glue it, taking care to make sure the valve is in perfectly straight. If it is at an angle, you'll have a bump for sure.

I did take it to a shop, but they said that it could not be fixed without a new tire and some time. I do not have enough experience myself to be willing to glue the tire, and ride it comfortably with a race on Sunday.

Selling the wheel is an option, but I'm more focused on Sunday and not next week or month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I know about tubulars, this if fine, and somewhat normal. Just ride it fast. After the race, consider selling them and picking up some clinchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing this weekend with a hop in my wheel [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My real question is whether it’s faster to run a wheel with the hip, or to run an aksium instead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm....I've had a hop in my tubie tires before, but I couldn't feel it while riding.

I think personally I'd go ahead and ride it. But if it is gonna drive you crazy, ride the Askium and lose 1 minute or so..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rent some race wheels instead of riding your trainer wheels or the warped tubular.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I’d go safety first and ride what I’ve been training on. Unless I was planning on being FOP and competing for a slot in the Worlds then either rent or ride with the hop. I don’t have that problem though.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thekidd142 wrote:
My real question is whether it’s faster to run a wheel with the hip, or to run an aksium instead

How bad is the hop? Can you drastically feel it when riding? If not, it's almost definitely faster than that Aksium wheel - which is basically a standard box rim shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing this weekend with a hop in my wheel [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Rent some race wheels instead of riding your trainer wheels or the warped tubular.

My thought too. Rent a wheel if you're worried about the time loss. Ride Askiums if you aren't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a hop in my tubular tire before. It was way too big to keep riding on it. I just replaced the tire and it was fine after that.

Changing out a tubular isn't that hard, it just takes a little time and planning. Watch some youtube videos. Other than it possibly being a little messy, it's really easy. You've already got glue on the rim, so unless that's really old, applying a new tire isn't so bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A vertical unevenness is ok, if you feel it you probably have too much air in your tires. As long as it’s not a horizontal bump/wobble that’s rubbing just roll it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the tire was last applied 2 years ago it should probably be redone anyways. Many times the slight hop is wherever the tape on the inside of the tire overlaps or near the valve, if near the valve it may be possible to make it better and if near the tape overlapping there's nothing that can be done about the bump.
If the shop uses glue it should sit pumped up for 24 hours, the newer glue tapes set close to immediately. If you're going to spend a good deal of time above the speed where the hop is noticeable a solution is to adjust the wheel to round based on the tire. Kind of like cheaper seamed rims require a little extra tension to keep the seem from bulging out when building. A good shop should be able to do it and it wasn't unheard of when cheap tubulars that weren't as ever were more common.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you interested in a followup (or come to this thread months/years hence) to this:

Thursday before the race I decided it was not bearable. I dropped it off at the bike shop and had a new tire glued on. Picked it up, gave it a few miles Saturday before dropping it off at transition, and race on it on Sunday.

I took the sharp corners a little light, but otherwise everything was great. The ride was smooth and the wheel felt fine. I should have just dealt with it earlier.
Quote Reply