Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Racing in July?
Quote | Reply
I just got an email from GFNY stating that President Macron has decreed that large participation events will return in Mid July, allowing their August event to occur.

I suppose it could be reversed, but is this a faint flicker of light? Could it mean that races like IMLP and IMSR have a chance of happening?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zero chance of any mass start races happening in 2020 and small chance in 2021.

The country is "still at the beginning" of the coronavirus crisis and will have to live with the virus for a long time, Merkel told Germany's parliament. "Nobody likes to hear this but it is the truth. We are not living through the final phase of this crisis."

England's Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty said Wednesday that the probability of having a vaccine or treatment "anytime in the next calendar year" is "incredibly small."

On Thursday, Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon also indicated there will be no changes to coronavirus restrictions in the short term, warning that a full "return to normal" might not happen until next year. "A return to normal as we knew it is not on the cards in the near future,"

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:

I understand this perspective but don't fully agree. I think there's a chance for 2020, but certainly July seems really aggressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:

The country is "still at the beginning" of the coronavirus crisis and will have to live with the virus for a long time, Merkel told Germany's parliament. "Nobody likes to hear this but it is the truth. We are not living through the final phase of this crisis."

England's Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty said Wednesday that the probability of having a vaccine or treatment "anytime in the next calendar year" is "incredibly small."

On Thursday, Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon also indicated there will be no changes to coronavirus restrictions in the short term, warning that a full "return to normal" might not happen until next year. "A return to normal as we knew it is not on the cards in the near future,"

That's for sure. There is zero chance that any of the f#ckers will let go of the absolute, unchecked power they are wielding right now. Merkel already moved the goalposts 4x

1. initially she said that once the infections won't double in 10 days, that will be the criteria for beginning to lift the lock down.
2. that was achieved quickly, and then she changed it to 30 days.
3. that was achieved too, so she then changed to R0 being lower than 1.0.
4. that was achieved as well, so that the methodology for calculating was changed.
5. even after that change, R0 stayed below 1.0 for 7 days. Merkel's response - let's just cancel all discussions, otherwise we will be swept up by the 2nd wave of c19.

Yeah, good luck getting her to cancel the quarantine. Same thing for the UK...

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
AndrewPhx wrote:

I understand this perspective but don't fully agree. I think there's a chance for 2020, but certainly July seems really aggressive.

Like I asked before.....

The GMAN wrote:
thunderdouble wrote:
I would agree that I don't see large gatherings happening until closer to September.

Honest inquiry and not necessarily aimed at you...

People keep talking about large gatherings happening in the fall. How? What's different between April 21st and September 1st? We won't have a vaccine and we won't likely have any proven treatments that are anything more than a bandage on a gunshot wound. The only thing keeping us somewhat safe is social distancing. That's not going to be any different four or five months from now.

I agree that some aspects of society and business can and should reopen. Ease up on some of the draconian shutdown measures. Retail, hospitality, restaurants, common office environments, etc. With strongly enforced and encouraged social distancing, hygiene, and the like. I can see allowing some small crowd gatherings of less than 50 but even that scares me. There's no way we can allow crowds of hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands within close proximity of each other. Can't happen now, can't happen in September. Do we really think any scenario in which we could allow 500/1,000/3,000 triathletes or 20,000 runners or 30,000 concertgoers or 70,000 football fans or 100,000 Disney World customers to chew up the same real estate is at all acceptable. It's not. It's just plain stupid.

I'm not opposed to certain segments of business and society opening up. I have no issue with my state (Florida) opening the beaches as long as the restrictions are enforced. I have no issues with allowing restaurants or small shops to reopen as long as they do a good job of keeping people well spaced. There are certain business segments that are just not going to be able to move forward until there's a vaccine or some amazing treatment. I would not want to be a business in which their entire business model is predicated on gathering a lot of people into the same general area. Ironmans or Boston Marathons are one thing but imagine something like Disney or Las Vegas or Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. They're fucked for awhile.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 23, 20 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
"

Disagree 100%
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
AndrewPhx wrote:

Like I asked before.....

The GMAN wrote:
thunderdouble wrote:
I would agree that I don't see large gatherings happening until closer to September.

People keep talking about large gatherings happening in the fall. How? What's different between April 21st and September 1st? We won't have a vaccine and we won't likely have any proven treatments that are anything more than a bandage on a gunshot wound. The only thing keeping us somewhat safe is social distancing. That's not going to be any different four or five months from now.

I agree that some aspects of society and business can and should reopen. Ease up on some of the draconian shutdown measures. Retail, hospitality, restaurants, common office environments, etc. With strongly enforced and encouraged social distancing, hygiene, and the like. I can see allowing some small crowd gatherings of less than 50 but even that scares me. There's no way we can allow crowds of hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands within close proximity of each other. Can't happen now, can't happen in September. Do we really think any scenario in which we could allow 500/1,000/3,000 triathletes or 20,000 runners or 30,000 concertgoers or 70,000 football fans or 100,000 Disney World customers to chew up the same real estate is at all acceptable. It's not. It's just plain stupid.

I'm not opposed to certain segments of business and society opening up. I have no issue with my state (Florida) opening the beaches as long as the restrictions are enforced. I have no issues with allowing restaurants or small shops to reopen as long as they do a good job of keeping people well spaced. There are certain business segments that are just not going to be able to move forward until there's a vaccine or some amazing treatment. I would not want to be a business in which their entire business model is predicated on gathering a lot of people into the same general area. Ironmans or Boston Marathons are one thing but imagine something like Disney or Las Vegas or Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. They're fucked for awhile.

Disagree 100%. Once we get through large scale population testing and realize that millions have been exposed already with little negative impact and that the actual mortality rate is a fraction of 1% (and skewed to unhealthy elderly folks) things will get back to normal quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idaho is starting to reopen, Gov't stated if everything goes ok, mid -June large gatherings can take place. My money is on CDA 70.3 going on as planned in late June. Montana is starting to open tomorrow, Mother in-law is getting a haircut on Monday.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [Kona-qualified] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona-qualified wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
AndrewPhx wrote:

Like I asked before.....

The GMAN wrote:
thunderdouble wrote:

Disagree 100%. Once we get through large scale population testing and realize that millions have been exposed already with little negative impact and that the actual mortality rate is a fraction of 1% (and skewed to unhealthy elderly folks) things will get back to normal quickly.

As well as refining treatment so more people survive.

Their still figuring that out as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are talking about what would be the right thing to do, what we need to take into account is whether government and business leaders will do what is right. I sadly think the latter and we will be left to decide the amount of risk we want to take. We keep saying 0 chance things happen because we know that is the way it SHOULD be, but when do we ever get things the way they should be?

I've already made the decision that if my August race goes off as currently scheduled, I will not be there without a vaccine or if I am found to have antibodies and they are proven to provide at least 6 months of immunity.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
AndrewPhx wrote:

That's for sure. There is zero chance that any of the f#ckers will let go of the absolute, unchecked power they are wielding right now. Merkel already moved the goalposts 4x

1. initially she said that once the infections won't double in 10 days, that will be the criteria for beginning to lift the lock down.
2. that was achieved quickly, and then she changed it to 30 days.
3. that was achieved too, so she then changed to R0 being lower than 1.0.
4. that was achieved as well, so that the methodology for calculating was changed.
5. even after that change, R0 stayed below 1.0 for 7 days. Merkel's response - let's just cancel all discussions, otherwise we will be swept up by the 2nd wave of c19.

Yeah, good luck getting her to cancel the quarantine. Same thing for the UK...

What you posted is my larger concern about unchecked power.

The Covid19 crisis is a blip in humanity. It will pass, and we will get over it. The erosion of both democracies and civility between citizens and the trend towards national isolationism is the larger concern over time and we're going to be stuck with the baggage of a lot of this because even semi intelligent people are too scared to speak on many topics due to the social shaming.

We're taking this to the exteme with the theory that a nanoparticle of virus per million cubic liters of air in open areas will cause it to spread in an airborne manner with no human contact or human to material contact. And the politicians and docs have been able to prey on the fear of humans fearing other humans who MAY be carriers of this as if every human in sight is a killer doberman....even outdoors with all that wind and turbulent air.

Its going to take a long while to undo all that fear generation. 2 things that dictators have always used to consolidate power is making populations fear the unknown, and then turning citizens against each other and make sure the majority can be kept in the government camp by leveraging fear. Now democratically elected leaders have a taste of what dictators have and to your point are not easily letting it go.

Just to be clear, I'm distancing and doing everything I am being asked to do, but I am also questioning when my local levels of government are unduly over reaching when there is no logic for that level of enforcement etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also disagree 100%. My next race is Ohio 70.3 on July 26 and fully expect it will happen. Even with full participation, there are steps that can be taken to minimize personal contact. And, based on Gov Cuomo estimate that 14% of NY residents had the virus, the mortality rate is a fraction of 1%....time to start easing these draconian lock down orders.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
because even semi intelligent people are too scared to speak on many topics due to the social shaming.

We've got plenty of semi-intelligent people speaking on many topics in the U.S. so I guess we don't have to worry about the politicians and docs preying on the fear of humans fearing other humans. I'll agree that politicians regularly do that, but taking shots at the doctors trying to figure this out is sad.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 23, 20 14:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you suggesting that a typical road race starting line, triathlon swim start corral, or volunteer aid station are NOT places where the virus could be transmitted between people?

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [Muffin top] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muffin top wrote:

Ding ding ding!

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
Are you suggesting that a typical road race starting line, triathlon swim start corral, or volunteer aid station are NOT places where the virus could be transmitted between people?

Life is full of risks. As long as there is no touch, I am certain that many people will gladly take the risk when we are allowed to take the risk and go back to work. They will get used to it and realize that not everyone is dying if we change our public behaviours.

I am walking and running past all kinds of people in my neighbourhood where we are supposed to be distanced. Most the time its possible. The paths through the forest are not 2 meters wide though. Those who go on those paths know full well they will not be able to distance and they are taking the calculate risk that the odds are super duper ultra low that they won't get Covid19. Most are dog walkers and other runners who love the trails. They just keep going. Everyone is pretty good to give each other as much space as possible.

A TT start where we don't have to touch anyone in the line up is totally doable. People who are afraid of viruses jumping from one person's mouth and fly through the air into the next person's mouth and actually infecting the person, those people will stay home (and that is fine).

From the beginning of time humans have figured out how to not get sick dealing with others and infectious diseases. We just have our guard down a bit in the modern world. But largely everything that our forefathers did works pretty good: Don't touch others, don't exchange body fluids direct or indirect and don't stand right inside their personal space and directly suck in what's coming out of their mouth or a short distance or air separation. Wash your hands before you touch your face, wash your hands when you get home, don't pick your nose.

Now we got this thing that kills some and survives on surfaces....OK don't touch things you don't need to.

The airborne part outdoors, well people will play the risk reward. They already are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be shocked if Australia and NZ don't start rolling back isolation policies in September. "IF" we get through our winter flu season without a second wave of infections then it will be game on for opening of the country for domestic travel with the country still shut down to all international travel with the exception of those Kiwi's types . I still reckon Ironman WA will go ahead in December as normal,hell I wouldn't be surprised if the 5,000+ competitor Noosa Tri up the road from me goes ahead at the end of October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We will see what happens. I don't think there will be many (or any) race directors willing to take the risk that they put on a race that results in virus transmission. And how many racers can accept the risk that they go to a race, leave with the virus, and infect others after the race? They may not get sick but the people they infect could die.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's kind of funny to me that some of the same people advocating for July and summer racing, are the same ones that cry liability issues when swims or other parts of a race are cancelled. Just think about this for one second. RD puts on his race this summer, probably less than a 1/3 actually show up, which is probably below break even. They then have to provide super drastic social distancing measures, lots of hand sanitizer, and adjust just about everything except the actual after the gun, and before finish line stuff.

And after doing all of that, someone is going to get the virus(or say they did regardless of where they got it), and they are going to blame some hole the RD forgot, or never thought about. Who the hell is going to want that nightmare, and you can rest assured, it will happen. I put on races, and no way in hell are any of them happening until Baseball, Football, and concert venues are back and open, with a solid plan in place. And most of that means there has to be a vaccine, because this thing is just too stealthy in its transmission, and super communicable because of this. We worry and do so much to not have that one swim death in 100k participants, what's gong to happen when that number is 10, 20, 100 per 100K?

We accept those small #'s we have now, but are we going to be willing to accept exponentially more than that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am constantly stunned by the levels of risk some are prepared for others to take.

There is no doubt that the level of infection is way beyond the tested and confirmed numbers. And every day informed people who believe they are being careful after 3 months of public warning, are infected (let alone die). In the US it's in the tens of thousands a day, in Canada it's a similar amount by population size. A million people may have been infected in the US, which means there's only 369 million to go. That's a big number. Should take a while.

So less than 2 months from now, some on here are expecting mass start races to take place. Notwithstanding the thousands of participants, these races require thousands of, paid organizers, unpaid volunteers, plus medical, emergency and police services. Not to mention the setup and cleanup crews. Oh, and there might be a few spectators. Some of those racers will want to come from outside that area, outside the province or state, outside the country. You going to put them up in home stays, because good luck with the hotels, airlines, bus lines, train services.

Even as daft as he is, can you see Trump lifting any restriction cos' you wanna race! He's a such an exercise fan eh? You want to talk to Cuomo, who's watched 15,000 die about your need to race. And for the Ontarians on here, you think Ford gives a flying....about some race, because he sure and heck won't be firing the starters pistol. Quebec ?, maudit anglais tabernak!

Now lets talk about the lawyers lining up at the finish line with their business cards. assuming the race gets any form of insurance. And who's going to sign off on those risks for themselves or their children, who are most of the race course volunteers.

The good news is most of the people lining up (with their guns...whoa) claiming their inalienable rights, none of those fat fuckers will be in any race, cause they're the biggest virus the US has these days.

This ain't some GD cold or flu, the symptoms alone put people in weeks, months of recovery, some with permanent damage. And pssst...some are still testing positive and remain a risk. Typhoid Mary by the dozen.

Oh yeah sure there'll be racing in 12 weeks, because 12 weeks ago it was only going to last a week.

Get a grip people.
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Apr 23, 20 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General reply to the thread. This is not July, but early august and the size of these races is around 200 athletes.

UCI, is trying to pull of an August line up to get ready fro an end of August start date:

https://www.velonews.com/...ad-cycling-calendar/

The report suggests that Strade Bianche, Milano-Sanremo, and a shortened Critérium du Dauphiné will be scheduled for August, in part to give riders a chance to race before hitting the Tour. After the Tour and worlds, there is some overlapping between the Giro d’Italia and a series of one-day races, including most of the northern classics. The Giro is scheduled for October, with the Vuelta a España lining up in November.

It would be pretty cool if all of this falls in place. The last day of the TdF and first day of the French Open are now on the same day in Paris. Marcon is not putting the clamp on all this yet.

Three Grand tours in the 3 of the top 4 countries hit in the world all by this fall. If they happen the world turned a big corner. First UCI races less than 120 days from now, so it seems by having Strade Bianche, Milano San Remo and Dauphine they are giving themself an opportunity to experiment launching into LeTour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen man, baby steps. I'd be happy just to be able to do 'regular' grocery shopping by July. I'm not counting on it, but I'd be happy. Racing? I won't hold my breath on that one. There are several things that need to happen long before we return to a life that includes racing.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
AndrewPhx wrote:

Well you'll either be right or wrong. I'm betting that you'll be wrong.

There is no way we will see an Ironman in USA / Europe in 2020

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
I am constantly stunned by the levels of risk some are prepared for others to take.

There is no doubt that the level of infection is way beyond the tested and confirmed numbers. And every day informed people who believe they are being careful after 3 months of public warning, are infected (let alone die). In the US it's in the tens of thousands a day, in Canada it's a similar amount by population size. A million people may have been infected in the US, which means there's only 369 million to go. That's a big number. Should take a while.

So less than 2 months from now, some on here are expecting mass start races to take place. Notwithstanding the thousands of participants, these races require thousands of, paid organizers, unpaid volunteers, plus medical, emergency and police services. Not to mention the setup and cleanup crews. Oh, and there might be a few spectators. Some of those racers will want to come from outside that area, outside the province or state, outside the country. You going to put them up in home stays, because good luck with the hotels, airlines, bus lines, train services.

Even as daft as he is, can you see Trump lifting any restriction cos' you wanna race! He's a such an exercise fan eh? You want to talk to Cuomo, who's watched 15,000 die about your need to race. And for the Ontarians on here, you think Ford gives a flying....about some race, because he sure and heck won't be firing the starters pistol. Quebec ?, maudit anglais tabernak!

Now lets talk about the lawyers lining up at the finish line with their business cards. assuming the race gets any form of insurance. And who's going to sign off on those risks for themselves or their children, who are most of the race course volunteers.

The good news is most of the people lining up (with their guns...whoa) claiming their inalienable rights, none of those fat fuckers will be in any race, cause they're the biggest virus the US has these days.

This ain't some GD cold or flu, the symptoms alone put people in weeks, months of recovery, some with permanent damage. And pssst...some are still testing positive and remain a risk. Typhoid Mary by the dozen.

Oh yeah sure there'll be racing in 12 weeks, because 12 weeks ago it was only going to last a week.

Get a grip people.

Thank you for this post!!
I think you are saying what many of us are thinking but are not saying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except RD will have a medical waiver/Corona Virus waiver that all participants will sign.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next