Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing in Gatorskins - Potts style?
Quote | Reply
Some of the roads for our main local sprint race are rough. Really rough. Like the speed limit is 45 but you take your car 25 over some stretches rough.

My race tires are GP4000s - 25s. I got 28mm Gatorskins for my around town bike.

Assuming latex tubes either way, any ballpark guesses on how much slower the Gatorskins would be over the GPs over 10 miles?

Guesses on how much more flat protection? Lots, some, none?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Gatorskins - Potts style? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google bike rolling resistance, the data is right there, to the watt :)

If you ain’t going for the win, gator it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Gatorskins - Potts style? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate that you didn’t drop a “let me Google that for you” link! I’ll get off my lazy butt and look.

It is the local Galactic Championships, and I have a shot at the overall podium. In 2016 I finished 2nd and ran Mark and Dave style with the winner until the last 200m. Last year I was 5th with 34 seconds separating 2nd and 6th.

So, it could matter. Probably should worry more about being 10lbs over race weight, but it is easier to drink beer and post on ST.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The galactic championship! Say no more, go big or go home. I’ve never punchered a 4000s on some pretty crappy stuff, go ride the course on your 4000s and see how they hold up. Otherwise, no one remembers 5th....go for podium! Otherwise you’ll always wonder...shit if I had just used the 4000s....

MI_Mumps wrote:
I appreciate that you didn’t drop a “let me Google that for you” link! I’ll get off my lazy butt and look.

It is the local Galactic Championships, and I have a shot at the overall podium. In 2016 I finished 2nd and ran Mark and Dave style with the winner until the last 200m. Last year I was 5th with 34 seconds separating 2nd and 6th.

So, it could matter. Probably should worry more about being 10lbs over race weight, but it is easier to drink beer and post on ST.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Apr 24, 18 18:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m over in GR and ride some pretty rough roads regularly, MiTi course being a decent example. I’ve yet to flat on my GP4000’s from rough road, although I did pick up a piece of glass once. Go big or go home if the race could potentially be that close... plus, if you flat you’ll have a good reason to bitch while drinking beer, you can just blame some random guy on the internet. Really it’s a win/win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just talking 25mm in both tires..... 17 watt per wheel difference.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Gatorskins - Potts style? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not 4000’s and butyl?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Gatorskins - Potts style? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Google bike rolling resistance, the data is right there, to the watt :)

If you ain’t going for the win, gator it up.

Just checked out the site. Not sure why anyone would ever bother testing them, but they have my beast training tires - Vittoria Randonneur - on there. ~32W per wheel. Rolling 19 mph on 270W is starting to make sense now.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Gatorskins - Potts style? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I’m over in GR and ride some pretty rough roads regularly, MiTi course being a decent example. I’ve yet to flat on my GP4000’s from rough road, although I did pick up a piece of glass once. Go big or go home if the race could potentially be that close... plus, if you flat you’ll have a good reason to bitch while drinking beer, you can just blame some random guy on the internet. Really it’s a win/win!

Yup same, same. Haven't flatted on my roadie in 2 years with GP4000s. I tried Gatorskins after a bad run of flats with Rubino Pros, I was only just back from a 1 month holiday (beer + no exercise) so not sure if it was the beers or the tyres, but I felt as slow as shit and had to drop down from A to B group.... I'd just stick to GP4000s. They'll be fine.

Gatorskins are for like commuters and people that can't change a flat or people that ride in a warzone.
Last edited by: zedzded: Apr 24, 18 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Gatorskins - Potts style? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need that meme with the Futurama dude saying something like

“Not sure if trolling or serious”

I’ll play it straight. My understanding is we’ve litigated it on here and the majority opinion is latex is faster, more puncture-resistant and more comfortable.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Gatorskins - Potts style? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know what I mean! I did the MiTi half last year. You know that little road (3 Mile?) where you go to the bottom of the hill and it is just awful? That kind of stuff for at least a half mile. Not the end of the world, but you get some pucker-factor doing it in aero.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Some of the roads for our main local sprint race are rough. Really rough. Like the speed limit is 45 but you take your car 25 over some stretches rough.

My race tires are GP4000s - 25s. I got 28mm Gatorskins for my around town bike.

Assuming latex tubes either way, any ballpark guesses on how much slower the Gatorskins would be over the GPs over 10 miles?

Guesses on how much more flat protection? Lots, some, none?
\\

I wouldn't do it. The GP4000s are plenty of protection :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rough roads are rougher on Gators, go with the 4000's. Rough doesn't necessary equate to greater flat risk from puncture right? Save your ass and go with the 4000's and latex!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same stance. Butyl is easier to install and holds air longer. The advantages stop there. Latex is more puncture resistant, has better CRR, and is noticeably better for ride quality.

I've flatterd 3 times on my 4ksii tires (all before switching to latex). Two were a proper puncture from a shard of rock that I dont believe gatorskins would have stopped either. Both from the same rock that I didnt find embedded in the rubber the first time around (user error). The 3rd was a monster pothole causing a pinch flat that also knocked my wheel out of true. I still ride the 4ksii with confidence and it's been about 1.5 years since my last flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is easy - 28mm GP4000s.

That, or a Parix-Roubaix style open tub. Plenty fast, plenty cushioned and if it's protection enough for the cobbles, it might be enough for you.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might as well through a fresh squirt of sealant in there as well.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Gatorskins - Potts style? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
The answer is easy - 28mm GP4000s.

That, or a Parix-Roubaix style open tub. Plenty fast, plenty cushioned and if it's protection enough for the cobbles, it might be enough for you.

Agree with this. The road conditions you describe don't sound like the kind of thing thick rubber is meant to protect against... you are talking about lumps and bumps, not sharp stuff, I think?

FWIW I rode the Paris Roubaix sportive earlier this month and shod my wheels in Challenge Paris Roubaix 27mm, which are open tubular design (still clinchers with bead) as per tessar above. They measured out more like 29mm and were great over the roughest stuff you can imagine. My objective was to protect my ass riding fast over the roughest stuff you can ride over, and avoid pinch flats. Latex tubes, obv. Beyond using CX tyres and rims (or using a MTB like some of the Belgies and Dutch did) I can't imagine anything performing much better. 28mm GP4ks would have been really good too, I think.

PS flat protection was good on the day too, which is just as well since I left both my spare tubes and all my cash somewhere in Arenberg Forest..

Cheers,
Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Apr 27, 18 11:45
Quote Reply