Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Races are exams
Quote | Reply
I’ve come to the conclusion that for me races are the exams which make all the revision (training) worthwhile

I always wanted to enjoy races and I just don’t! I enjoy doing well, basking in the glory of finishing and feeling like I’ve really achieved something.

If I do well at an exam I often keep it to myself but feel a sense of inner pleasure that I got a great mark.

I think I once remember a pro ?Andy Potts saying a similar thing. He loved the training and essentially tolerated the race to get the prize.

I guess this is why I’ve always found bum races so tough, it’s like doing all the revision and then turning over the exam to see you revised the wrong stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: Races are exams [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use to feel the same way. Loved training but dreaded racing. For me, the reason was I could meet or exceed my expectations in training but never could in a race. I THINK that has changed though and I look forward to training and races now. I just need to figure out my new job hours so I can race.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Races are exams [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate racing when I get up at 4:30am on race day. My mind is going a million miles an hour and I feel like crap. But when I hit the water it's on! I've never had a truly terrible race, I always get something out of it.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I feel there is a similarity for me, now that you bring this up. In school, I always loved tests and usually excelled on them but graduated with a C average because I didn't do homework. Since I've started triathlon, I have always loved racing and haven't quite enjoyed much of my "homework" training but unfortunately for me, most of my tests have been D grades because in this sport, homework matters.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Complete opposite for 30+ years

Loved racing. The more the better

Hated training but wanted to podium so of course had to train

Now I train an absolute TON and really like it

Races mmmm not even worried about doing them any more. Funny thing is with all the training I’m more competitive than when my entire goal was to race lol

Retired.
Sleep approx 6 hours a night

Leaves 126 hours to fill.
Last edited by: MrTri123: Jun 15, 19 15:25
Quote Reply