Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race wheels vs new bike
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I’m still considered essential right now (but don’t know how long THAT will last) so when my stimulus and tax return finally make it in, hoping stores are up and running again...

Now right now I only have 1 functioning bike. My TT bike. Not going to bore you with the details of how I got there. Thinking of either continuing with the 1 bike deal and getting some race wheels (likely Flo or another value brand) or getting a semi-entry level road bike. Like a caad12 or Allez but with the 105 level components. It would serve as a back up/rain type bike.

My thought is the race wheels are more practical from a tri standpoint and will actually make my a faster racer, and maybe for less money. But a new bike from an LBS is ALWAYS exciting and it could help small businesses.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels vs new bike [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could buy a road bike from me.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels vs new bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You could buy a road bike from me.

Haha that I could.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The price would be way better than your bike shop and no sales tax.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels vs new bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Size, bike, and location? We can talk once checks come in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say get both by going with a Canyon! One of the best decisions I made last year. Shipped right to my door and was put together lickety split.
Amazing deals and you get both!!
John

https://www.canyon.com/...mano%20Ultegra%20Di2
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels vs new bike [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
I say get both by going with a Canyon! One of the best decisions I made last year. Shipped right to my door and was put together lickety split.
Amazing deals and you get both!!
John

https://www.canyon.com/...mano%20Ultegra%20Di2

While I love your the way you think new toy have to be equal to or less than stimulus check.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hurry and get more dependents!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

Brilliant!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stimulus check is what $1-1.2k? Not gonna get much new for that. Could likely pick up a solid mid level roadbike used on here or FB. That's the route I would likely take

Race wheels are so far down the list of upgrades when it relates to price vs. performance. An aero tri kit, aero helmet, etc. should all be prioritized first. That said, wheels will make you faster on race day. So if you're vying for seconds to get you on the AG/Overall podium, then I would go that route #MarginalGainz
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels vs new bike [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Stimulus check is what $1-1.2k? Not gonna get much new for that. Could likely pick up a solid mid level roadbike used on here or FB. That's the route I would likely take

Race wheels are so far down the list of upgrades when it relates to price vs. performance. An aero tri kit, aero helmet, etc. should all be prioritized first. That said, wheels will make you faster on race day. So if you're vying for seconds to get you on the AG/Overall podium, then I would go that route #MarginalGainz

Have a kit and helmet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have questions about wheels please let me know.

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels vs new bike [jonthornham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my opinion, but I think you will get much more enjoyment out of a new CAAD 12 (or something similar) then from a new wheelset.
And while it won't make you faster on race day, it will make you faster if it allows you to train in lousy weather days where you would hesitate to go out on your clean race bike.
So my vote is definitely to get a entry level road bike at your LBS.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The majority of the benefit of race wheels comes from having race tyres on.
So you could get a set of tyres that you swap on for events (when those are a thing again) on the tri bike and buy a road bike to expand your cycling options. A gravel bike may be better for giving options but may hamper your ability to share wheels between bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
race wheels hands down and they don't need to be just for racing. Its become less "uncool" to ride deep wheels for everyday riding and you also get use to handling them..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a CAAD 10 that I've upgraded quite a bit since buying it about eight years ago (down to around 16 lbs) - it only gets around 10% of my riding time, but I always have a blast when I ride it. I kind of built it up with an eye on the Mt. Washington race, but haven't had a chance to do the race.

Race wheels will definitely make you faster, but buying new ones isn't the best bang for the buck. You can probably find a used semi deep front wheel and pair it with a cover for your rear wheel for $400-$500. Heck, I have an older HED 6 front wheel that I've had hanging on the wall for 5+ years without any use, and I'm sure others have wheels that aren't being used. Especially with a lot of folks switching over to disc wheels, rim-brake wheels are going to get even cheaper on the used market.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels vs new bike [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I have a CAAD 10 that I've upgraded quite a bit since buying it about eight years ago (down to around 16 lbs) - it only gets around 10% of my riding time, but I always have a blast when I ride it. I kind of built it up with an eye on the Mt. Washington race, but haven't had a chance to do the race.

Race wheels will definitely make you faster, but buying new ones isn't the best bang for the buck. You can probably find a used semi deep front wheel and pair it with a cover for your rear wheel for $400-$500. Heck, I have an older HED 6 front wheel that I've had hanging on the wall for 5+ years without any use, and I'm sure others have wheels that aren't being used. Especially with a lot of folks switching over to disc wheels, rim-brake wheels are going to get even cheaper on the used market.
You trying to sell that wheel lol?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends a bit on where you live and how you ride. Currently I have to do 95%+ of my training indoors so my road bike just hangs in the garage. I bought some used race wheels for ~$500 which are also just hanging on the wall but will make me faster on race day for less than the bike. However when life changes and I get the chance to hit the roads more I expect the road bike will be the better purchase.

A lot has been written about the poor value for money that race wheels offer but much of that is based on comparing $500 entry carbon wheels to $2500+ ultra fancy Enve/Zipp wheels. The difference between cheap OEM box alloys and something like used Hed Jets or old Zipp 404s is a much more apt comparison and provides much better value for money.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels vs new bike [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also considering maybe mixing a new trainer into the mix as currently I ride a Nashbar fluid.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

We added a dependent on 2019 and I still owed a bunch of money 😂
Quote Reply