Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race wheels for training?
Quote | Reply
Do you guys use your race wheels for training? I'm getting a new bike and have a chance to upgrade to race wheels for a discount, however that will leave me without training wheels. I'm only 148 lbs if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Zeke
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels for training? [Zeke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zeke,

I'm one of those guys, a minority in this crowd I think, that train on aero wheels as well. Only recently, however, have I started to see the error of my ways. Six weeks ago I shattered a hub on a rear aero wheel. I got my replacement last Friday and rode on Sunday. Had a little altercation with a truck, watching in slow motion as my brand spanking new HED 3 slid under the truck in the direction of the moving rear wheel. Fortunately it came out unscathed, but I did pop a spoke in the aero front. To much can go wrong on the bike to be flirting around everyday on $1,000 wheels.

Signed,

A reformed trainer on race wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels for training? [Zeke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training on race wheels is fine. In general race wheels are more durable than people give them credit for. There are two things to consider that may cause you to not want to use yur race wheels all the time however:

1. In general, race wheels are significantly more expensive than training wheels, especially when using tubulars (all race wheels should be tubulars IMHO, or they aren't really race wheels...). Certain crashes will destroy ANY wheel. It may be better to damage/destroy a $300 set of wheels than a $1399 set of wheels if you have an accident in training.
2. There is something to be said for the pschological boost of putting light, fast wheels on your bike on race day. Suddenly you feel (and are) a lot faster. Thaat can help make for a good day on the bike. If you are used to riding on race wheels all the time that takes that psychological advantage off the table.

I think eventually you should get an inexpensive set of training clinchers. You can scrounge some on sale at a bike shop or on e-bay. It is important to have to sets of wheels.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels for training? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Tom. Someone else recently posted about using the heaviest, most durable, etc. wheels you can get your hands on for training.

I subscribe to this view. A durable, reasonably heavy set of clinchers with good tires is a great way to train. (And wear a backpack full of books on your back too if you want to enhance the effect.)

That way, when race day comes and you slap on those tubular, aero deep dishes, you'll feel fast as the wind!

Good luck!

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels for training? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. I'm working with Ves, so maybe we can work out a deal on a pair of training wheels too. I agree with the pyschological aspect too - being a runner, throwing on a pair of racing flats always gives me a huge boost.

Zeke
Quote Reply