Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race suit advice needed
Quote | Reply
I am signed up to do my first 70.3 next year. I have a 2 piece race suit with a felt liner that has been fine for olympics and sprints. However, I am thinking I should get a sleeved one piece suit with a pad for the half. Any thoughts on this? Is it really necessary? Additionally, how did you go about picking out which suit you purchased? I have been thinking about getting either a De Soto or Castelli but am by no means tied to getting one of those two company's suits. Any thoughts/advice/product reviews would be appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by: MBaier: Nov 26, 19 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Race suit advice needed [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of good suits out there but there is NOOOOOO way I would do a half with shorts that have a felt liner. Ouch!

I got the Orca RS1 because it checked all the blocks for me but there are several good one as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During my last 70.3, I wished I had more pockets. My Zoot suit basically has not pockets. I shoved some packs in my butt, of course they fell out. Would like a recommendation on a two-piece with some pockets, prefer zippers or velcro to keep stuff from coming out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Castelli Out Out speed suit all day over the DeSoto - much thinner, much more flexible based on multiple races in both. Unless you're doing a colder race, in which case maybe the desoto keeps you a tick warmer.
Quote Reply
Re: Race suit advice needed [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like my Zoot 1 piece suit. I have the LTD suit and I think it works great. Swam with it under my wetsuit this weekend, then put on the sleeves for the bike and the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve tried De Soto, Orca, and mainly use a Castelli San Remo these days. Among those three, the Castelli is hands down the best. Form fitting and still very flexible.

On a related note, I’m becoming a Castelli fanboy. Everything of theirs I’ve tried has been high quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
Castelli Out Out speed suit all day over the DeSoto - much thinner, much more flexible based on multiple races in both. Unless you're doing a colder race, in which case maybe the desoto keeps you a tick warmer.

^^^^This.

Castelli is thinner/cooler. The Desoto has more muscle support, but that really doesn't matter to me; I'll take the cooling.

By felt pad, I assume you mean the microfleece pads that were common in earlier trisuits/shorts. Most companies now use what amounts to a smaller/thinner version of a cycling short pad. My favorite chamois was actually the old Desoto Invisipad. It was a microfleece pad but only sewn to the shorts in the front and back, so it could slide inside the short and reduce friction. On that note, it's worth using chamois cream for longer races.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Race suit advice needed [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
mattyboy wrote:

^^^^This.

Castelli is thinner/cooler. The Desoto has more muscle support, but that really doesn't matter to me; I'll take the cooling.

By felt pad, I assume you mean the microfleece pads that were common in earlier trisuits/shorts. Most companies now use what amounts to a smaller/thinner version of a cycling short pad. My favorite chamois was actually the old Desoto Invisipad. It was a microfleece pad but only sewn to the shorts in the front and back, so it could slide inside the short and reduce friction. On that note, it's worth using chamois cream for longer races.

Yes, I have something similar to the one on the right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We would be most happy to send you a suit for you to check fit and feel. we do have sleeved suits perfect for mid to long distance event.
Dont hesitate to contact us at: contactATkiwamitriDOTcom.
Thank you,

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Try before you buy" - this rings true especially for tri suits. If you're going to be in it for 4+ hours of racing, you need it to be comfortable. All suits will fit slightly differently around the legs, chest, arms, neck etc and if one part is super loose or tight you'll regret buying the suit. Pretty much every manufacturer makes a great suit for every price point now, so don't feel pressured to be tied into one brand or another. Kiwami's offer just above is a good idea - try it on before making a concrete decision!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
mattyboy wrote:

^^^^This.

I have the EPIX pad in my custom 2 pc kit & it has been excellent. The one thing I can say is that it is shaped like an old school saddle, so when you start getting into COBB or ISM saddles, it does make a bit of a difference in that there are 2 prongs you deal with and this pad is not exactly covering those prongs that well. Sit bones are further back but depending if you're sitting up and have moved fore-aft on the saddle throughout a long ride, I found I'd like it a little wider in the single-nose point of this pad. Can't speak for the other examples here. I do like the EPIX pad in general though.
Yes, I have something similar to the one on the right.
Quote Reply