Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race staff Injured during triathlon, we need your help!!!!!
Quote | Reply
Please see the story below and consider donating. If youve ever been in a race, someone like Randall has kept you safe, and helped you make sure you made it back home to your family.

Stating that Randall is an incredible, unselfish, and all around wonderful person doesnt begin scratch the surface of who he is as a person. A few years ago, he donated one of his kidneys, for no one in particular, and for no specific reason, other than he had an extra to give.

If youve ever wanted to pay someone in the racing community back but youve never been quite sure how, consider donating to this cause. At this point, too much remains uncertain about his long term condition, but his life and his family's lives will undoubtedly be changed forever. His wife Adrienne has an incredibly challenging battle ahead of her.

Randall is still fighting for his life, and his family will need all the help it can get. Im hoping that by posting on a national website, and by reaching a mass audience, lots of small donations will make a big difference. So please, give what you can.

Thank you

https://www.gofundme.com/the-siddens-family
https://www.komu.com/...indstone&popular
https://www.komu.com/...-shutdown-grindstone
Last edited by: spriesme76: May 12, 19 4:39
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes we need your help!!!!! [spriesme76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prayers and donation sent.
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes we need your help!!!!! [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I wish we could express to you how much we appreciate both!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please keep the donations coming! And help me keep this post at the top of the board by commenting if you donate.

Randall had successful surgery on his pelvis, which was needed to reduce the risk of infections. At this point a full recovery seems unlikely, but is still in a coma, and too much remains unknown about the condition of his brain and its capacities to know that for sure. Please donate. Every bit helps!

If you cant donate money, donate a comment and help me keep this message at the top of the board!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donated both. Thank you for all the volunteers, organizers, and RD who help keep us safe on course.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spriesme76,
donated as a race director, we appreciate all of those who put theselves out there time and again. they
want to support athletes, the pay is secondary.

Spri, suggested edit to title: amend to add "Race Staff injured during Triathlon"
i think it will increase views. give us an update if you can.

Best of luck Randall, c'mon man, hang in there hope you're improving!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes we need your help!!!!! [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas, thanks for the advice, Im never one to turn down a good suggestion. I hope to get an update later today, and will post what I find out. Havent been many updates recently, which at this point we're still hoping no news is good news.

Thank to all who've donated and/or posted. As a non-triathlete, and a bit of an outsider, I can truly say you all are a special group of folks, with an undeniably unique and strong bond to each other.

Please keep the prayers and comments coming. Donations still very much welcomed too!! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Race staff Injured during triathlon, we need your help!!!!! [spriesme76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a horrible situation for the injured and families, and everyone in the sport, or even of the human race would surely be wishing him as speedy and miraculous recovery as possible.

Just as a sidebar question,
Would the insurance of the offending driver not cover the losses, expenses and damages?
Would the event organizers insurance not cover the losses, expenses and damages?

once again, the very best wishes to the Sidden family
Last edited by: Avago: May 12, 19 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: Race staff Injured during triathlon, we need your help!!!!! [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insurance will most likely help in the long term, but even then there is no guarantee. In the meantime, Randall mostly was a stay at home dad, so right now, his wife is scrambling to find care for their children. In addition, his wis has rarely left his side, and I am not sure if she is still getting paid by her employer.

They need immediate funds to keep their bills paid, and ease as many financial stresses as they can so that they can concentrate on Randall, and his recovery.

Thanks again to all who have donated, prayed and/or commented.
Quote Reply
Re: Race staff Injured during triathlon, we need your help!!!!! [spriesme76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Randall had successful surgery on his pelvis, which was needed to reduce the risk of infections. At this point a full recovery seems unlikely, but is still in a coma, and too much remains unknown about the condition of his brain and its capacities to know that for sure. Please donate. Every bit helps!
Yesterday was Mother's day. I've thought a lot the past week about my mom being in the situation Randall's mom is in, sitting by her son's bedside on Mother's day, not knowing if he will ever come out of a coma. Or Randall's wife, mother of their own two kids with a third on the way. Glad to see all the support given so far! Continue supporting:

https://www.gofundme.com/the-siddens-family?

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes we need your help!!!!! [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donated. Best wishes for Randall and family, my thoughts are with you.
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes we need your help!!!!! [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An update on Randall:

He is still in a medically induced coma, and is not coming out on his own. They are hesitant to try and take him out, as they are not sure how much good it would do, and he is still in an incredible amount of pain. He has recently had the catheter in his head moved in an attempt to alleviate some of the pressure and swelling in his head, and get more accurate ICP (inter cranial pressure) readings.

Most recently they are planning surgery to move the vent tube from his mouth to his neck, feeding tube from his nose to his stomach, and fix his upper arm break late morning or early afternoon. His ICP has still been very high, but not quite high enough for them to want to take more drastic measures, For todays surgeries, he doesnt have to lay flat, and the anesthesia may help.

It is still way too early to know any long term physical and mental effects. Right now thy are just trying to keep him comfortable, and allow him to slowly recover on his own, and allow him to get to a point where they feel more comfortable being a little more invasive.

Thanks to all of those that have contributed. For any of you who want to do a little extra, feel free to share his go fund me page on any of your local racing websites or communities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too donated.

My goodness... Don't have words
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes we need your help!!!!! [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donated and retweeted.

Godspeed
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes we need your help!!!!! [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we ask slowman to post this story on the main page please ?

A little surprised at how few comment regarding this sad tale.

Has the gofundme page been posted by local media ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wishing Randall a full recovery and thinking about him and his family. I just made a small contribution.
Quote Reply
Re: Race staff Injured during triathlon, we need your help!!!!! [Paul_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am wishing all the best and have made a donation as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes we need your help!!!!! [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Has the gofundme page been posted by local media ?

There has definitely been some coverage here locally, though it quickly falls out of people's attention focus! Here is one example of the local media covering it with an article that is worth reading:

https://krcgtv.com/...-injured-in-accident

In some other ways, people locally are stepping up, here are a couple other things going on:

This past Tuesday, the Columbia "PedNet Coalition" https://www.facebook.com/PedNetCoalition had a "wheelchair and bike wash" fundraiser that they had planned after Randall was injured, they decided to use it to raise money for the Sidden family and raised $1,000!

For any Kansas City runners/triathletes, Garry Gribbles Running Sports in Overland Park will be having a "Run for Randall" next Wednesday, May 22nd, see this link for more details: https://www.facebook.com/events/705771596519675/

Quote:
A little surprised at how few comment regarding this sad tale.
As for this, I too have been surprised at how little people comment about this, but happy to see that people are donating! I had actually started a thread about Randall before this one and it kept falling off the front page, that kind of made me angry... (Link) Only two other people replied in that thread and then I saw this one had been created and decided to let mine fade away and post only on this one. This one has been "stickied" to the top and is definitely getting a lot of views, just not many comments.

Tony
Last edited by: tonythetriguy: May 16, 19 19:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the latest on Randall:

"The MRI of the brain looked as expected per the neurologist. Not the worst it could be, but a serious brain injury. There are some small areas that they couldnt see on the CT, but there were no other major bleeds."

I am not quite sure what this means, but at least we know its not the worst it could be. I think there is still way too much unknown at this point, and they are waiting for him to continue to recover before they do any invasive procedures.

Please continue to keep your prayers, well wishes, and donations coming. They are so very much appreciated!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the latest update on Randall:

Things are about the same. Small improvements. His ventilator settings are being lowered, and he is doing well maintaining his o2 levels, He is off all medication drips and is switched to intermittent pain meds. His ICPs still fluctuate up occasionally, but seem to be doing better overall. He has some spontaneous movements from time to time.

Thanks again to all who have contributed prayers and donations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spriesme76 wrote:
Here is the latest update on Randall:

Things are about the same. Small improvements. His ventilator settings are being lowered, and he is doing well maintaining his o2 levels, He is off all medication drips and is switched to intermittent pain meds. His ICPs still fluctuate up occasionally, but seem to be doing better overall. He has some spontaneous movements from time to time.

Thanks again to all who have contributed prayers and donations.

Great to hear Randall is improving if only slightly.
Quote Reply
Re: Race staff Injured during triathlon, we need your help!!!!! [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Here is an update that Randall’s wife Adrienne shared on Facebook Monday evening:

Tony
Last edited by: tonythetriguy: May 20, 19 23:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts, prayers and donation sent... I'm a race staffer as well, close to home in a lot of ways! Will share the go fund me as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On Monday, November 18th, at 3:05p.m Randall Siddens took his final fighting breath at 34 years old. He battled for his life for over six months while his family and friends prayed and sent all the love they could. After the accident, Randall began a long hard road to recovery at an amazing place for healing and recovery in Lincoln, Nebraska. As the last few weeks passed Randall started losing his fight due to the extreme injuries sustained from the car that no one saw coming.

When it comes to work Randall never looked at it like most do. A co-worker stated, “I asked Randall if he wanted a break or to switch jobs, but he insisted on doing all the work which he said was the fun part.” Having him as a team member at Ultramax made each and every person he was around better. He made our team a family, and such a fun place to be! With his absence he brought the team people so much closer because of the love he showed to each of us every single day. To his Ultramax family he will always be remembered as our long-haired superhero who was always up for a challenge.

Randall was one of a kind. If you ask anyone who knew him, they will have a story of how he impacted them for the rest of their life. Many will say how adventurous he was, how intelligent and creative, or selfless he was. For example, when he had the opportunity to save an unknown person’s life with a kidney, he gladly donated one of his because as he would explain he had a spare. He had a heart overflowing with love and a need to serve others every chance he got.

This world lost an amazing young man and father. We are grateful to have been a part of his life and to learn what Randall was here to teach us; That is to love your neighbor as yourself, to be a leader and a servant, to live without regret, and at the end of the day know that you made the world a better place. Randall will live on through his Wife Adrienne and his three young children. We hope that as you read this will find it in your heart to help his family whether it is financially or through prayer as their fight is not over as they continue Randall’s legacy. Your gifts and prayers will go to support Adrienne, Aspen, Declan, and Gemma.

The Celebration of Life for Randall will be at 3:00pm Saturday, Nov 23rd at Christian Fellowship Church in Columbia. In true Randall fashion, this is a casual service.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-siddens-family

Tony
Quote Reply

Prev Next