Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race Wheels
Quote | Reply
Thinking about renting race wheels for an upcoming sprint.

Course is flat. 10 miles. Close to the beach so sometimes is windy.

I'm 135 pounds on a good day.

Current wheel depth is 38mm front 50mm back.

Looking at Zipp 404/Disc or 808/Disc configurations.

What would you do?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s 10 miles, do you really care about 10-20 secs in savings over current wheel set? Also at 135, I’m similar weight you run the risk of handling issues as you’ve never ridden that depth a front wheel. I say stick with what you know and ride on, the familiarity is worth at least 10 secs.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
It’s 10 miles, do you really care about 10-20 secs in savings over current wheel set? Also at 135, I’m similar weight you run the risk of handling issues as you’ve never ridden that depth a front wheel. I say stick with what you know and ride on, the familiarity is worth at least 10 secs.

Thank you.

My bigger story is I started Tri on a road bike coming from a running background. Everyone said:
  1. Wait until you get a Tri Bike. You'll be flying. I bought a P2. No faster.
  2. Wait until you get a TT fit. You'll be awesome. I've had 3 in four years. No faster.
  3. Wait until you get an aero lid. You'll be amazing. Bought the LG P09. Nothing.

Now everyone is saying, "Dude, you need race wheels", so I thought I'd rent them and give it a try.

On the time savings, I usually finish top-10 and I can tell you everyone who beats me has a disc wheel.

Lastly, as I read the ST thread "Post your power, etc. from your last race", I am pushing the same power and riding 1-3 mph slower than those reporting races of similar distance and bodyweight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Thank you.

My bigger story is I started Tri on a road bike coming from a running background. Everyone said:
  2. Wait until you get a TT fit. You'll be awesome. I've had 3 in four years. No faster.
  3. Wait until you get an aero lid. You'll be amazing. Bought the LG P09. Nothing.

Now everyone is saying, "Dude, you need race wheels", so I thought I'd rent them and give it a try.

On the time savings, I usually finish top-10 and I can tell you everyone who beats me has a disc wheel.

Lastly, as I read the ST thread "Post your power, etc. from your last race", I am pushing the same power and riding 1-3 mph slower than those reporting races of similar distance and bodyweight.

How's your fit? Could be the loss from relatively poor body position is costing you speed at similar power.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
DJRed wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Thank you.

How's your fit? Could be the loss from relatively poor body position is costing you speed at similar power.

I've had two retul-based fits from two different fitters in the last 18 months. Both say I look great, angles, etc. are awesome. I have no trouble in aero and staying there the entire ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do realize percentage-wise it’s the same time gap as a longer course, right??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that 10-20 seconds (and the money you paid for it) makes a difference to you thand n go for it; just know how to use extenders etc. I made that mistake the first and only time I rented a wheelset and ended up with a flat tire when I got to T1!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

dont waste your money on "race wheels", If those first 3 things didnt get you faster, something is wrong, and race wheels wont help it either. wheels are the last marginal gain piece of a puzzle. there is something wrong with your fit if you went from a roadie to a TT and gained no speed for the same power. got a picture?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
If that 10-20 seconds (and the money you paid for it) makes a difference to you thand n go for it; just know how to use extenders etc. I made that mistake the first and only time I rented a wheelset and ended up with a flat tire when I got to T1!

Hard to describe. I wouldn't say I'm looking to spend money to get 10-20 seconds. Of course, if it's more aero, I'll theoretically have more for the run, which is my strength. Still, even if it's 30-45 seconds total between the bike and run, I'm not simply looking to buy the time. Consider this, though:
  • I finished 5th in my last race. Was 8 seconds behind 4th (who beat me by 2:10 on the bike) and 32 seconds behind 3rd. Both had a disc.
  • I finished 13th in the race before that. Lost AG by 3 seconds. Was 1:40 behind 6th place. I was beaten on the bike by 1:00, 1:30, 1:30, 3:00, 1:00, and 3:30 by the guys in 6th - 12th. I outran all but two of them.

I guess the thread has gone a little awry from my original request from "What should I try" to "Is it worth it" for me?

After engaging here, I guess my question is really both. Given nothing else seems to make me faster, why should I expect wheels to? I'm nowhere near a pro. I'm not going to Kona. But, I train hard, I am competitive, and love to race so I hate the thought that I'm racing and giving away time due to equipment. The only thing left for me to try is wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Hard to describe. I wouldn't say I'm looking to spend money to get 10-20 seconds. Of course, if it's more aero, I'll theoretically have more for the run, which is my strength. Still, even if it's 30-45 seconds total between the bike and run, I'm not simply looking to buy the time. Consider this, though:
  • I finished 5th in my last race. Was 8 seconds behind 4th (who beat me by 2:10 on the bike) and 32 seconds behind 3rd. Both had a disc.
  • I finished 13th in the race before that. Lost AG by 3 seconds. Was 1:40 behind 6th place. I was beaten on the bike by 1:00, 1:30, 1:30, 3:00, 1:00, and 3:30 by the guys in 6th - 12th. I outran all but two of them.

I guess the thread has gone a little awry from my original request from "What should I try" to "Is it worth it" for me?

After engaging here, I guess my question is really both. Given nothing else seems to make me faster, why should I expect wheels to? I'm nowhere near a pro. I'm not going to Kona. But, I train hard, I am competitive, and love to race so I hate the thought that I'm racing and giving away time due to equipment. The only thing left for me to try is wheels.

Is the only thing left to try wheels?

Your return on investment is very low. The difference between 404/808 from 38/50mm is marginal. You originally asked 'what would you do?'
I would not change my wheel. I'd put a disc cover on the back for a cheaper option (that can be used again in future races, if desired) to equate the benefits of a full disc and look for other ways to pick up speed/time.

More aero clothing, tires, tubes, cables on the bike, aero helmet...These could help, if not yet done.

What was the VI on the ride? Perhaps you rode it imperfectly with power surges rather than more consistently. (*Although my sprint has gotten awfully close to 100% of my FTP, I made 0.99 IF last race) And, do you know if the others who had faster speeds at similar power profiles had better VI's or not? And are the PM's even comparable?

I'd have to believe that there are aero losses in those comparisons, or differences in the PM's.

You have not shown a picture or described your setup, just asked about the change in wheels. Trivial and expensive gain=not worth it to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were going to do it then definitely get the disc wheel. Given what you've posted my first guess is that your tires are really bad. But even then, it's pretty much impossible that you went from a road bike with clip-ons to aero bike w/ TT helmet and didn't get faster unless your position actually got worse in the process, which is possible.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering what you have written in the thread I would go disc with a 404. Putting an 808 in there on a windy day could see you riding slower if you are fighting it, and is unlikely to gain you much over a 404 in calmer conditions. Maybe a few second at best. Check tyres and pressures - if we are talking seconds good tyres with low RR and correct pressures is essential. Are you loading your frame with 'stuff'? If so get rid of it for a sprint - chance a puncture or keep spares to the absolute basics and don't hang it in the wind. I would also check the bearings of the rented wheels before you stick them in your bike - don't get anything too wide if your frame will not accept them.

I would also be tempted to check things like bottom bracket and brakes for issues - just to be sure you are not loosing power through your drive train. Sounds like you could be going faster with your current set up but just not quite go there yet?

Good luck.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can we possibly answer “is it worth it to you” if you can’t even make that determination? We have given you all the info to make that decision.

Sending us more race results won’t change the advice.

Do you want us to vote yes/no it is/isn’t worth it to you? We can do that I suppose.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 18, 18 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
How can we possibly answer “is it worth it to you” if you can’t even make that determination? We have given you all the info to make that decision.

Do you want us to vote yes/no it is/isn’t worth it to you? We can do that I suppose.

Nope. Not looking for that. I guess I made the classic mistake of having a conversation with myself on ST. I will say the feedback I've gotten has been helpful, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ehh we have all done that. Hopefully it was helpful!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
DJRed wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Your return on investment is very low. The difference between 404/808 from 38/50mm is marginal. You originally asked 'what would you do?'
I would not change my wheel. I'd put a disc cover on the back for a cheaper option (that can be used again in future races, if desired) to equate the benefits of a full disc and look for other ways to pick up speed/time.

More aero clothing, tires, tubes, cables on the bike, aero helmet...These could help, if not yet done.

What was the VI on the ride? Perhaps you rode it imperfectly with power surges rather than more consistently. (*Although my sprint has gotten awfully close to 100% of my FTP, I made 0.99 IF last race) And, do you know if the others who had faster speeds at similar power profiles had better VI's or not? And are the PM's even comparable?

I'd have to believe that there are aero losses in those comparisons, or differences in the PM's.

You have not shown a picture or described your setup, just asked about the change in wheels. Trivial and expensive gain=not worth it to me.

This was awesome. Thanks.

VI from last race was 1.075. IF was 0.91.

I'll work on the pic.
Last edited by: DJRed: Aug 18, 18 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Considering what you have written in the thread I would go disc with a 404. Putting an 808 in there on a windy day could see you riding slower if you are fighting it, and is unlikely to gain you much over a 404 in calmer conditions. Maybe a few second at best. Check tyres and pressures - if we are talking seconds good tyres with low RR and correct pressures is essential. Are you loading your frame with 'stuff'? If so get rid of it for a sprint - chance a puncture or keep spares to the absolute basics and don't hang it in the wind. I would also check the bearings of the rented wheels before you stick them in your bike - don't get anything too wide if your frame will not accept them.

I would also be tempted to check things like bottom bracket and brakes for issues - just to be sure you are not loosing power through your drive train. Sounds like you could be going faster with your current set up but just not quite go there yet?

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. If I do it, I'll do the 404 upfront.

Tires are Conti GP4000 II's. No idea on tubes.

I'm 135-140lbs. I ride around 95-100psi front and 100-105 psi back.

Nothing on the frame. I use a half-filled Xlab torpedo between the aerobars for a little water. Garmin 520. Everything else is just P2. No cages or bottles on the inside tubes.

I don't carry a spare or tools, so I've basically been rolling those dice. My thought is a flat means the race is over so I'll just walk it in if I have to.

Suit is here: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...Q6MTozMjp0cmkgc3VpdA==

I'll learn more about my drive train and see what might be going on there. I have no reason to suspect anything as the LBS gives me a tune-up every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
dtoce wrote:
DJRed wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

VI from last race was 0.93. IF was 0.91.

I'll work on the pic.

I thought VI had to be 1.0 or higher, mathematically speaking?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

What would you do?

Work on your swim....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get latex tubes. Free ~4-6W for you vs. butyl tubes. 404/disc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think "if its more aero, I will have more for the run" adds up. You will likely push the SAME amount of watts to go a tiny bit faster over 10 miles, in the exact same position. And your legs will likely perform the same on the run.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DJRed wrote:
dtoce wrote:
DJRed wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

VI from last race was 0.93. IF was 0.91.

I'll work on the pic.

I thought VI had to be 1.0 or higher, mathematically speaking?

You're right. It was the inverse 1.075. Sad to say I was a math major.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gained over 2mph average bike race speed, by leg strength training in the gym. Something to consider, if you don't already. I was also frustrated at throwing $$$ at equipment for very little improvement. I'm also an AG racer, and top 10 overall at local races.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DJRed wrote:

What would you do?

Work on your swim....

That ship has sailed. Swimming twice a week 2500 yards +/- and I'm stuck at 1:35/100yds racing a sprint. At least I enjoy swimming now, though. Since I can't swim faster than 1:30 in a 100 (from a push), I think 1:35/100 over 300-400 yards is the best I can expect.

I can, however, say I've watched every swimming video ever posted on YouTube, so I've got that going for me. My big dilemma now is that Chloe Sutton is hosting a clinic for pre-teens in my area. I'm trying to get the courage to sign up. I figure when I get there, I can play dumb and say I didn't know it was for kids. Hell, most of the pre-teens playing in the LLWS are both taller and heavier than me so what's the big deal?

Oh, and my 9-year-old daughter is now faster than me. I hate her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And all those improvements are independent of the improvement wheels will give you so even if you get the you will still be wondering, should I get race wheels to save another __ seconds...???
Quote Reply

Prev Next