Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [endofempire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I saw was a little scared girl who jumps up on a chair when she sees a mouse and swats it with a broom. Except she was on the chair swatting for several days

First of all, your reading comprehension sucks. He wasn't talking about any sort of "manly" reaction. Seems like you read it that way just to have an excuse to throw stones.

Second, we were all back at work on Tuesday morning. Does sitting behind your computer screen and mocking people who were afraid in the wake of a public bombing make you feel like a tough guy?

Friday, local authorities decided to shut things down and I'm fine with that. If only to prevent large crowds of people that are common on weekdays and coule be an easy target. These two guys weren't afraid to die (or at least one of them wasn't). Pretty easy to walk a homemade bomb into a T station and take a bunch of people with you on your way out.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about done with St. Anthony's.

If they cancel the swim again I'm out until a new race director is selected.

They took a race that once would sell out in 24 hours and turned it into the laughing stock of of the sport.

Just to bring my smile back from the fear control freaks telling me how things are going to be done - I'm going to fill my plastic bag with the nastiest smelling workout gear I've ever baked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing more people will be injured by crashing their bikes trying to ride and carry these bags (unlike, say, my backpack that allows me full use of my hands) from the parking lot to transition than will be saved by deterring terrorists.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
I'm guessing more people will be injured by crashing their bikes trying to ride and carry these bags (unlike, say, my backpack that allows me full use of my hands) from the parking lot to transition than will be saved by deterring terrorists.

bingo. So many races I try to stay less than 10 miles from transition so I can bike to and from the race (Timberman it made the day actually work). I do not give a rat's hiny if they want to search my transition bag but I have no interest in trying to carry plastic bags with my gear at dark o clock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I don't see the big deal. Instead of arriving at TA with all my gear on Sunday morning, most of my stuff will already be there with my bike from the mandatory drop on Saturday. It will only take a minute to move all my stuff from my usual transition bag into the plastic bag. So maybe I walk (instead of ride) my bike to TA...no biggie - pretty sure we're all in good enough shape to handle it without sacrificing race performance :)
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it has nothing to do with my rights being violated, I have no right to do a triathlon. Its the fact that doing what the poster suggested doesn't actually change the likelihood of having an attack occur at a race. Its just a waste of time and increases cost.

For your bucs example, all they did was prevent something from occuring in the stadium. Someone could easily do something in the parking lot tailgating or in the line for the security pat down. So did you really prevent anything? No you just changed the location of where someone would do something.

For his example so you prevent someone from walking into transition with a bomb. Well okay except they can still set one off in the line for the bag check, next to the swim start next to transition area, next to the finish line, etc. So the net effect is there is no increase in security just an increase in cost and a false sense of increased safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an athlete I am not worried about my safety more about spectators. Check every bag if needed, do whatever you need to do.

After Boston, every RD will need to re-evaluate security..
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shep wrote:
endofempire wrote:
shep wrote:
with the benefit of hindsight do you think anyone from Boston would consider this 'security theater'?

When you say "anyone from Boston" it seems you are implying there was some sort of manly reaction - you know, like what you would see in some countries where they spray the blood off the street and open for business again the next day like nothing happened. What I saw was a little scared girl who jumps up on a chair when she sees a mouse and swats it with a broom. Except she was on the chair swatting for several days.

no no, was trying to say that anyone in Boston at that particular time would probably have been very glad to jump through whatever hoops were necessary to increase safety of all concerned...in hindsight. Nothing about any manly reaction.

In 1983 I was in the Harrods department store as it was bombed by the IRA. Six people died there. In 2011 I was in a bicycle accident which almost killed me. Neither incidents were preventable in my opinion (well, the kid that hit me could have paid more attention I guess, but accidents happen). To think that "if I had done XYZ it wouldn't have happened" or "if the cops would have done ABC they would have prevented it" is shortsighted. The world is a dangerous place. People get injured and killed every day. It can be you, one day. I feel that as the memory of the world wars fades, people start to see an uneventful life as a right. It is not.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, every rational person would think it was silly.

It is very depressing how easily this country is turning into a police state.

Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to give up a few minutes for a bag check to avoid random danger...

But it won't avoid anything. Seriously it's a joke.

Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [Medieval Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Medieval Times wrote:
As an athlete I am not worried about my safety more about spectators. Check every bag if needed, do whatever you need to do.

So illegal searches just because you are standing on the side of a road to watch a race? Geez, I guess the terrorists have won.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
endofempire wrote:
shep wrote:
with the benefit of hindsight do you think anyone from Boston would consider this 'security theater'?

When you say "anyone from Boston" it seems you are implying there was some sort of manly reaction - you know, like what you would see in some countries where they spray the blood off the street and open for business again the next day like nothing happened. What I saw was a little scared girl who jumps up on a chair when she sees a mouse and swats it with a broom. Except she was on the chair swatting for several days.

Just had to quote this for posterity. Maybe you might take a different tone if you knew one of the dead, or one of the dozens that were maimed for life. I suppose your definition of a "manly response" doesn't take into consideration the police officers that risked their own lives in a gun battle or rescuing victims even though there might have been another bomb, or the fact that one police officer was killed and another nearly killed during those days of "swatting a mouse with a broom". But I'm sure you take such selfless risks all the time in your life. I know that many terrible things happen all the time in other countries but maybe it's part of their tragedy that they have no choice but to carry on and by washing the blood off the street immediately they're acknowledging they don't have the resources to do a proper investigation that might catch the perpetrators and help end the cycle of violence.

There was a lot of individual bravery by many that we can all be proud of. It was important that we caught these guys, and I'm glad we did.

I worry about the Boston response because there are also future lives that we need to protect as well. For example, Al Qaeda has stated - in plain language - that their strategy is to practice asymmetric warfare that targets our economy and terrorizes our citizens. What lesson do they learn when they see that our response to a small attack is to shut down and otherwise disrupt a major American city for days causing tens of millions of dollars of economic damage, and then hyperventilate about it for more than a week in the news and on social media? Does that response make it more or less likely that this attack will repeat itself in some grander form?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Medieval Times wrote:

So illegal searches just because you are standing on the side of a road to watch a race? Geez, I guess the terrorists have won.

This isn't about terrorists winning or losing. This is about protecting peoples safety. Make sense?!
Last edited by: Medieval Times: Apr 23, 13 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shep wrote:

personally I don't think such an action would occur in transition but just outside where the crowds are watching bike mount and dismount, that tends to be where crowds and VIP tents are.

I was hanging around the finishing shoot waiting for someone else to finish when it happened. I don't know if that qualifies me as "from Boston," or whether I need better creds to have a valid opinion. Nonetheless, I'd consider it an over reaction. I probably wouldn't let it bother me too much though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year at the Marine Corps marathon in Washington DC everyone had to go through metal detectors to get into the expo and uniformed Marines frisked runners as they walked to the starting line before the event. In Boston last week there were SWAT cops with M4s in my hotel lobby for days after the event. This is the new look of America and its not going away any time soon. Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm from Boston ('burbs, but used to be Boston - have stood "right there" many times...), but I don't think that changes my perspective toooo much on the follow on effects of the bombing.

My wife and I are running the James Joyce 10k this weekend, and it'll be a huge field, and the Boston HM in about a month which went from around 2,500 to 8,000 people in the few days post bombing. Awesome display of a giant middle finger to terrorist types...

Anyway, to this thread, I'm just hoping they don't institute so many "safety measures" with no effect that the races become a huge hassle. Many of the changes they COULD make will have no impact on safety, but could ruin the experience of the race.

If there were reasonable precautions that would actually DO something, I'd be open to them (within bounds), but races should continue to be fun, open events... At least IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Medieval Times wrote:

This isn't about terrorists winning or losing. This is about protecting peoples safety. Make sense?!

If it actually protected anyone's safety it might.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well one thing is for sure, you guys sure hate the idea of living every day like it's your last...
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
endofempire wrote:
shep wrote:

Just had to quote this for posterity. Maybe you might take a different tone if you knew one of the dead, or one of the dozens that were maimed for life. I suppose your definition of a "manly response" doesn't take into consideration the police officers that risked their own lives in a gun battle or rescuing victims even though there might have been another bomb, or the fact that one police officer was killed and another nearly killed during those days of "swatting a mouse with a broom". But I'm sure you take such selfless risks all the time in your life. I know that many terrible things happen all the time in other countries but maybe it's part of their tragedy that they have no choice but to carry on and by washing the blood off the street immediately they're acknowledging they don't have the resources to do a proper investigation that might catch the perpetrators and help end the cycle of violence.

OK, not trying to minimize any tragedy, but what part of having all the race participants use clear searchable bags for all their race gear would have made one whit of difference to the Tsarnaev bros last week?
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Apr 23, 13 9:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Boston bombing took place...

1. In an iconic town,
2. On an iconic day (Patriot's Day), and
3. At an iconic race.

I am signed up to do a non-WTC, half-iron race later this year. After Boston, my relatives expressed concern about my race. It makes me feel sad. My response to them has been:

1. My race is not in an iconic town.
2. My race is not on a special holiday.
3. It's a no-name race.
4. Therefore, what possible interest could a bomber or terrorist have in my race??!!

I'd worry maybe about Boston again, NYC marathon, Ironman Hawaii. The other races: No bomber/terrorist is going to even have them on their radar, because THE PUBLIC DOES NOT CARE about generic (non-Boston) triathlons or marathons. If they go after another sporting event, it is going to be a Giants parade or something that a lot of Americans actually follow and care about.

I'm not in favor of increased security at the generic races. (Unless, of course, the race is known for having stuff stolen from transition, and could use some beefing-up on that account.) Just not interested in the culture of fear invading our grassroots events.

- Oleander
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [Jan de Visser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan de Visser wrote:
shep wrote:
endofempire wrote:
shep wrote:

no no, was trying to say that anyone in Boston at that particular time would probably have been very glad to jump through whatever hoops were necessary to increase safety of all concerned...in hindsight. Nothing about any manly reaction.

In 1983 I was in the Harrods department store as it was bombed by the IRA. Six people died there. In 2011 I was in a bicycle accident which almost killed me. Neither incidents were preventable in my opinion (well, the kid that hit me could have paid more attention I guess, but accidents happen). To think that "if I had done XYZ it wouldn't have happened" or "if the cops would have done ABC they would have prevented it" is shortsighted. The world is a dangerous place. People get injured and killed every day. It can be you, one day. I feel that as the memory of the world wars fades, people start to see an uneventful life as a right. It is not.

Great comment. I recall once seeing a photo essay from a bike tour in Africa which featured human roadkill... the same kind of leathery, sun-baked, 'pizza' like you see all the time that used to be an opossum or a squirrel, only it was kind of sprawled in the form of a person like you'd see in a chalk outline... and it was right there in the street with everyday traffic going by and nobody was fazed by it except the tourist.

I've spent just enough time in 3rd-world countries to see how cheap life can really be. Too many of us are too far removed from it to see what literally billions of other people see all the time, so we're shocked when a glimpse of it comes to us.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:

OK, not trying to minimize any tragedy, but what part of having all the race participants use clear searchable bags for all their race gear would have made one whit of difference to the Tsarnaev bros last week?
I was responding to endofempires comments making light of the Boston tragedy, not expressing any opinion on clear searchable bags. Your question is nonsensical, of course it wouldn't have made any difference. I actually do this particular initiative is an overreaction, FWIW.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Security Overreaction? [endofempire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's some truth to what you say but regardless this was a pretty significant incident, even if the loss of life pales in comparison with some other incidents, and under any circumstances it would be difficult to reign the media in given the way the entire episode unfolded. Such is the nature of modern mass media, like it or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coredump wrote:
I'm doing a large, well-known tri this weekend.

Just received an email from the RD with new security precautions that we apparently have to follow. We apparently will be given two numbered clear plastic bags that we are supposed to use for all of our transition gear. All bags are numbered for each athlete, and we are specifically asked NOT to bring any other type of bags (ie backpacks/transition bags), and everything we do bring will be searched by the PD prior to allowing us to enter transition on race morning.

Am I alone in thinking this bit of "security theater" is a bit much of an overreaction to the events in Boston?

a little inconvenience is better than legs blown off and dead people, we will have dog sniffing bombs are our little tri, just because,

better be safe than sorry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before this "Security Precaution" there was no time other than the race start where athletes would be bunched together.

Now, athletes will be waiting in a longer line to get in and out of transition before & after the race.

It is clear to me that this is actually putting the athletes AT MORE RISK THAN BEFORE.

The question is... why?

1. Because a Police Department feels the need to "do something"? (As the Race Director appears to pass the buck here in another thread).
2. Because the race director has no vision to share with the PD what this step DOESN'T DO and ends up CAUSING.

At no time in my history of racing triathlons have I ever been bunched up with a bunch of athletes inside of a transition at any one time (day before, morning of, during race, post race) since they naturally are spread out due to bike racks, staggered starts, & staggered finishes.

How about you let me determine the amount of risk I'm interested in taking. I've signed the waiver.
Quote Reply

Prev Next