Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Race Report: Ironman Santa Rosa - 4th OA, 1st M 18-24, 9:03:49 [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's one of the best and most informative race reports I have ever read- thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Ironman Santa Rosa - 4th OA, 1st M 18-24, 9:03:49 [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the performance and thank you for a detailed race report!
Quick question: is peeing 2 times on the bike an actual proof that you are well hydrated? May be a different topic, but still...

In terms of what constitutes peeing ‘a lot’, I usually tell athletes it’s not a bad thing to pee once on the bike in a half-distance event, possibly twice in an Ironman. This tends to show that you’re drinking a reasonable amount but not massively overdoing it. Much more than that and I’d say it’s a sign of either taking in too much fluid, or insufficient sodium within that fluid to retain it in your body.
http://www.220triathlon.com/...n-ironman/12766.html

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Ironman Santa Rosa - 4th OA, 1st M 18-24, 9:03:49 [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure - I can try and elaborate a bit. This definitely isn't my realm of expertise, so mostly conveying what I've done versus why I've done it.

Some examples of the types of exercises included: lunges, squats, dumbbell press, single leg Romanian deadlift, Bulgarian split squats, box jumps, etc.

Typically leading into big races the workouts will be more stability focused - single leg/single arm, band work, etc. However, when there isn't a big race just around the corner workouts will be a little more intense with some circuit work and machine work (leg extension, leg curl, squat machine, etc.).

I know quite a few athletes that work with ECFit, often while recovering from injuries. They seem to have good success with those programs. Perhaps it might be a matter of making sure you are doing the correct program at the correct time in relation to your races/goals.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Ironman Santa Rosa - 4th OA, 1st M 18-24, 9:03:49 [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Glad people are enjoying the read and info.

I'll tackle that one - I think this is probably a bit of an athlete dependent thing.

I had two comparisons I was basing hydration assumptions on:
1 - Ironman Arizona: I only had to go once at the very end of the bike and then not at all during the run.
2 - Long training rides: I almost never have to go even over the course of a ~4 hour ride plus brick run.

Based on those comparisons having to go twice on the bike plus again in the first few miles of the run was a positive indicator of good hydration in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Ironman Santa Rosa - 4th OA, 1st M 18-24, 9:03:49 [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great work and congrats! Thanks for sharing such details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the great race JT. Any regrets running the disc rear given the crappy Santa Rosa roads? At any point did you wish you had a bit more compliance of the Enve 8 out back, or did the tubeless at 80 psi work out just fine? Debating setup with a friend for Santa Rosa 70.3 next month.
Last edited by: wintershade: Jun 26, 19 22:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I'm late to the party but congrats nonetheless. Fantastic race and report. Seems like you executed exactly as you wanted to!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Ironman Santa Rosa - 4th OA, 1st M 18-24, 9:03:49 [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

None at all. To be honest I'm not sure I could tell a difference between a disc and spoked wheel from a ride feel/compliance perspective. I'd say the tire type and pressure are far more critical. I rode a 25mm tubeless setup at 80 psi and would run the same setup again.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Ironman Santa Rosa - 4th OA, 1st M 18-24, 9:03:49 [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eliot!

Yes, I was super pleased with the execution. Now to do it all again in October!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to the party as well. Awesome work Jack - keep crushing it!

-Bud
Quote Reply

Prev Next