Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Sean H thanks so much for sharing. Dev is right, not enough race reports on here :-) Congratulations on an excellent race, so happy for you that your hard training turned into a well deserved good result. Also, your family look adorable and it's just so lovely that everyone, including your father-in-law, came to support you.

Please keep us updated on your running progress. Will you be continuing with the 50mpw?

Thank you so much Anna. Yes I will be continuing with 50mpw the rest of the year. Originally I wasn't, but after seeing the improvements I think it will payoff bigtime to stick at it. I'll most likely bump it up even farther next winter too.

Also just thanks to everyone I didn't directly respond to for all of the kind words. It's nice to have the community here to share this with!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be stoked with your prior melt-down performance of 5:22 lol, great job OP

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job!

When you run 50 miles a week how are you breaking it up? 6 days a week, 5-10-15 Barry P style? How many days of bike and swim were you doing during this time as well? (During your build up to the 70.3)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your race weight?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [wrightjoseph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I had it broken up barryp style. To get extra run mileage on top of the 50 I would sometimes add on to the short recovery runs, making them up to 8 miles.

I was cycling 4x a week, around 6-7 hrs total on average. I was swimming 2-3x a week, usually ~3k per session.
Last edited by: Sean H: Apr 22, 17 3:54
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [clutchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clutchy wrote:

162 lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! A lot of hard work paying off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
clutchy wrote:

162 lbs

I'm a fat bastard...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Sean,

Congratulations on your win at HIM Texas. I'm a bit late to the party but what a great. inspiring race report.

Together with the thread on the full assed challenge from Desert dude, it makes very very interesting reading. After putting on a load of weight over the winter I've spent the last 4 months going from 192 lbs to 168 lbs with my end target being 154lbs. Alongside the weight loss, I've been building my run volume from zero to 28 miles last week. I'm targeting 2018 to race HIM's again so I've got lots of time to put in some specific run training. My best HIM run is 1:47 and I've never run over 30/35 mpw. So your post has got me excited about the sort of improvements I might make if I give the full assed program a go.

I just wondered, you mentioned that you had done a winter of 40ish mpw and, whilst you improved, it really took moving to 50 mpw to see big benefits. What was the sort of progression you saw when you started to hit 50 mpw? Did it take a few weeks to really notice improvements or was it a sort of linear thing?

I go on vacation at the end of July which will be a good time to start to hit 50 mpw and then try to hold it when I get back. My first HIM next year is likely to be June so I could hold 50 mpw for 9/10 months if I needed to. I just wonder if you were continuing to see improvements in your running when you came down from the 50 mpw for your HIM or if they sort of stagnated after a while.

I guess I'm just after any detail of the sort of progression you saw within your 50 mpw experiment.

Many thanks

Will
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Will!

I started to see massive changes after about a month at 50 mpw. When I got up to 40 the previous winter I definitely improved, but I didn't really test that improvement much.

This time I made it a point to try and do more running races and more tests of fitness on my own rather than just going at endurance training speeds the whole time.

I think this time my running mechanics really got a lot better from just running a lot and sometimes faster. But I also definitely got much fitter as well.

Just enjoy the process and put in the miles and you will be very pleased I have a feeling. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read. Huge congrats for a great result! It was thrilling reading it.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were a stud that day! Not the same guy I ran down at the No Label Tri the year before!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [ChevyTri27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Joe! I still don't have the run speed you showed that day though!
Quote Reply

Prev Next