Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RR ITU Vegas M40-44 6:30 37th
Quote | Reply

Run up
I had some great training on the lead up to this race. I have been looking forward to it for more than a year and a half. Then DISASTER. I got sick seventeen days out. I swear I was the first human carrier of the Zombie Ant fungus, and that any moment my head would split open and a mushroom would grow out of my head. No crazy dance and tall building for me though, just severe sinusitis. Do you know that you need a TUE for Sudafed? Stupid dopers ruining it for the rest of us. So just after one week (remember the magic number for doctors is ten days) I went on antibiotics. I tried not to stress and look it as a forced taper, but after arrival in Las Vegas on Monday and still not feeling better, panic was setting in. Talked with my wife (she is a doctor) and my coach (also a doctor) we talked about taking a stronger antibiotic, but side-effects would have been diarrhea, so I held tight and felt better Wednesday and better each day leading to the race.

Swim
Sorry Steve, I did not get to use the Frequency. Bummed about the swim, but I feel it was the right call. I feel a little cursed, Myrtle Beach and then Las Vegas, my A races two years in a row had the swims cancelled, why do I even bother swimming? I rode with a technical l/s tee and arm warmers, gloves, comp. sleeves and toe covers. I could not believe guys were going out in just their kit. I saw Elliot at the start, (aka renorider) and wished I took pics as well as he does, so that I could hang off the back of the moto. Frank was there to shake everyone’s hands as we lined up for the TT start and I thought that was really cool.

Bike 4:05 / 18.2 mph / 49th
I’m unsure what effect being sick had, but what I can tell you is that the Triple P (Piss Poor Pacing) was more to blame. The plan was to ride 180-185 watts. I rode 185 Ave/198 NP. I’m 5’8” and my weight ballooned to 146 while I was sick (I said that just piss off anyone over 155) and my FTP 248 (yes a little shy of my handle). So the numbers were not that far off, but how I got there could have been better. First thirty-five miles 196/208 (Ave/NP), last half 178/190, with the section after the sisters 163/171. Loved the course, I wish I rode a shallower front wheel (I rode a 808 FC). I also rode a compact and should have put on an 11t lock-ring. Man, those Canadians can mash. I got pissed when I saw a bunch of guys drafting, then realized it was a regional roadie team out for a ride...you saw them too and thought the same thing, admit it.

Run 2:22 / 7:41/mile / 27th
Really ST-ers, I tried to plan my race and race my plan, but the Triple P bit me in the ass even harder. The plan was 7 minute/mile pace and really easy out of the gate because it was downhill.
So, here it is (w/terrain) 6:34(dwn)/7:05(up)/7:22(up)/6:21(saddle)/6:30(dwn)/6:50(dwn)/7:44(up)/8:04(dwn)/6:34(dwn)/7:12(dwn)/7:53(saddle)/8:42(up)/8:34(up)/8:17(dwn)/8:43(dwn)/9:12(up)/8:56(up)/12:15(dwn-about 8 min pace for the last 1.6). Those down hills made me sore (I’m talking Boston Marathon sore). (Speaking of Boston Marathon, Frank, you should take a page from their book on how to run a pasta feed as opposed to the $30/plate fiasco on Thursday night).

Overall (and takeaways -/+) 6:30 / 37th M 40-44
Negative
I really feel I have the tools to be a FOP AG’er and maybe shoot to KQ, but not until I learn to pace my race.
I need to work on my bike and move my FTP into the high 250’s, low 260’s
I need to ride what I’m going to race more often and be comfortable in my aero bars in various conditions

Positive
I qualified and finished mid pack at The World Championships…. The World Championships!!!
I was able to race, which was in question 5 days prior
I got some good cheers on a clean cyclo-cross dismount
I got a compliment on being able to run sub 7:30 pace and pee at the same time
Great race, great distance, best volunteers ever
Proud to represent my country

Thanks to my wife, my coaches and all those who have helped me out!
I’m probably going to lay off the long stuff for a year or two (I like my marriage and my daughter, she turned 1 while we were in Vegas) and do some Olympic and Xterras, but now I need to get ready for the Birke.
Thanks ST

Who Dares...Wins!
Last edited by: +4W/Kg: Nov 8, 11 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: RR ITU Vegas M40-44 6:30 37th [+4W/Kg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Real nice job! Getting sick so close to the race then toughing it out, awesome. You will be a FOP'er. And then a 7:41 pace run? Hats off.
Quote Reply