Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ROKA Maverick X Surprisingly durable
Quote | Reply
To start I’m not connected to Roka. I actually think their sunglasses are ridiculously priced.

But any ways I had heard so many things about higher end wetsuits being delicate and how they often rip

I took advantage of a sale at Roka and bought 2 Maverick X wetsuits approx 2 years ago

Figuring one reserved for racing and one for training

Over 100 pool swims in the HOA chlorinated pool in the practice suit and basically leaving it in my vehicle Between swims. No rinsing or washing the suit after swimming.

Basically mistreated the poor thing. Would guess the temps in the van get well over 110 in the FL summers

Happy to say not a tear or rip. Would be fine to use in races
Last edited by: MrTri123: Oct 25, 20 5:46
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Maverick X Surprisingly durable [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear. I picked up a Maverick X this year for $250 from one of Roka’s warehouse sales. The arms and shoulder areas are incredibly supple and flexible, much better than any other wetsuit I’ve tried. I have a cheap Synergy sleeveless from Amazon for training swims. Maybe I’ll work the X into the rotation more often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I concur. I am careful with my wetsuits, but the one I bought 4 years ago seems bulletproof. I open water swim (fresh water) three times a week from the end of May to early October. Other than a little friction wear in the arm pits (should spray some silicone there a couple of times a summer) and the velcro closure getting a little weak, it's in great shape. That's despite having fallen off my car and being run over by a car and a dump truck (at 35 mph) three years ago. I was horrified, but after washing it off I found no tears in the material. I have a wetsuit from a different brand that in 1 1/2 years of use looked like it had been attacked by a school of piranhas despite keeping my fingernails short and using nitrile gloves.
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Maverick X Surprisingly durable [Slow but Old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slow but Old wrote:
I concur. I am careful with my wetsuits, but the one I bought 4 years ago seems bulletproof. I open water swim (fresh water) three times a week from the end of May to early October. Other than a little friction wear in the arm pits (should spray some silicone there a couple of times a summer) and the velcro closure getting a little weak, it's in great shape. That's despite having fallen off my car and being run over by a car and a dump truck (at 35 mph) three years ago. I was horrified, but after washing it off I found no tears in the material. I have a wetsuit from a different brand that in 1 1/2 years of use looked like it had been attacked by a school of piranhas despite keeping my fingernails short and using nitrile gloves.

Lol that sounds like a commercial

That's despite having fallen off my car and being run over by a car and a dump truck (at 35 mph)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear for you.
Unfortunately I’ve seen the X a friend was using for about 60km showing small rips and cuts where the logos are transferred to the neoprene.
I use the Pro only for Racing (30km so far) and it’s still fine
For training I had to replace the elite after 60km cause the seams disconnected where the breastpattern meets the arms.
The second elite got now 130km on it and shows wear at the seams underneath the arm.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
To start I’m not connected to Roka. I actually think their sunglasses are ridiculously priced.

But any ways I had heard so many things about higher end wetsuits being delicate and how they often rip

I took advantage of a sale at Roka and bought 2 Maverick X wetsuits approx 2 years ago

Figuring one reserved for racing and one for training

Over 100 pool swims in the HOA chlorinated pool in the practice suit and basically leaving it in my vehicle Between swims. No rinsing or washing the suit after swimming.

Basically mistreated the poor thing. Would guess the temps in the van get well over 110 in the FL summers

Happy to say not a tear or rip. Would be fine to use in races

I just got one a few weeks back. Do you think you are any faster with Roka? I have only used it once!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you got yours on sale, but I'm still interested in the reasoning people have to get to the point that they will spent so much on a wetsuit. I mean, the list price is $975 (!!!) Even on sale, I'll bet it was over $600.

Not saying I wouldn't do it if the reasoning is correct, just seems to me so expensive compared to less expensive wetsuits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had bad luck with the x it started falling apart under the arms.
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Maverick X Surprisingly durable [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I know you got yours on sale, but I'm still interested in the reasoning people have to get to the point that they will spent so much on a wetsuit. I mean, the list price is $975 (!!!) Even on sale, I'll bet it was over $600.

Not saying I wouldn't do it if the reasoning is correct, just seems to me so expensive compared to less expensive wetsuits.

I wouldn’t spend much on a sleeveless wetsuit. However, I would pay a premium for a full sleeve wetsuit that has the flexibility and easy range of motion as my Maverick X. Having said that, no way I’m spending almost $1K on a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Maverick X Surprisingly durable [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

As they say wetsuits and tri suits are individualistic.

I bought wetsuits from 3 different companies. I tested each one three times. I kept the one that was the fastest.

Was hoping the lower priced one would be faster but it wasn’t.

You may find a lower pieces suit is as fast or faster for you
Quote Reply