Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP Roger Bannister
Quote | Reply
http://www.bbc.com/...t/athletics/43273249

A legendary achievement, and remarkable to reflect how much times have changed. Quite something to contrast an amateur medical student making sporting history with the technology- and money-driven Nike approach to breaking the 2 hour marathon barrier! By all accounts Bannister was also a true gentleman who achieved plenty in his medical career (and later reflected that he was prouder of his contribution to medical research than of his athletic career).
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Roger Bannister [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A truly great figure. The book that chronicles his mile achievement (along with Santee and Landy), the Perfect Mile by Neal Bascomb, is a fantastic read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A sad day. He was a great runner and a good person by all accounts. He will be missed

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Roger Bannister [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in his day, cinder tracks were state of the art.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To some degree, the first sub 4 was more or less staged with pacers....but then when Bannister and Landy both ran sub 4 at the Empire Games in 1954 that was awesome. Often before getting ready for a running race, this is the video I would watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP_NzZP_LK0

It must have been cool living in my dad's generation in 53/54....Everest Summit + 4 Min Mile in subsequent years.

One year, on a biz trip to England after getting all done, instead of staying at a Heathrow Airport Hotel, I stayed at an inn on Iffly Rd, so I could go run mile repeats at the track where Bannister broke the 4 min. It was only a 45 min drive and 45 lbs fare from Oxford. Combined, it was cheaper than staying at Heathrow and the experience of a lifetime:
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Roger Bannister [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIP Sir Roger. The book he wrote "The First 4 Minutes" is one of the best books on endurance sports I've read. Highly recommended. When I'm doing my trail run this week I'll remember Bannister and how he rhapsodized in his book about his XC runs which were a joyful release from his med studies and the pursuit of the sub 4.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Roger Bannister [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
RIP Sir Roger. The book he wrote "The First 4 Minutes" is one of the best books on endurance sports I've read. Highly recommended. When I'm doing my trail run this week I'll remember Bannister and how he rhapsodized in his book about his XC runs which were a joyful release from his med studies and the pursuit of the sub 4.

I was just thinking of this 4 minute thing as I heated some food in the microwave....for 4 minutes.

It is interesting how some block of 4 minutes can last an eternity, whereas other blocks evaporate with no effort. Not all blocks of time are created equal....some go down in history....other blocks of 239 seconds, we just give away without thinking!!!
Quote Reply