Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RESPECT... triathletes don't have it
Quote | Reply
The cyclists don't seem to think much of us.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=17067

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: RESPECT... triathletes don't have it [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares. I end up pulling a bunch of roadies every time I do a century. They are mostly all talk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares.

They don't care much for us because they think they are faster on the bike. On average they are probably right. Next time one of them falls into water, a triathlete may be pulling them out. Also, guess who will outrun them if anyone ever yells "FIRE" in a public place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:

Any reason you dug up a year old thread on another forum to show that many road cyclists have low opinions of triathlete bike skills?

In other news, water is wet.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
RESPECT... Slowtwitch doesn't have it
Fixed that for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling and triathlon are completely different sports with completely different training requirements and issues. I don't compare myself with cyclists any more than I compare myself with basketball players.

If triathletes were as proficient as cyclists at everything from riding to gear management, then I'd say that either one or both of us are doing their respective sport(s) wrong.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So go earn your respect. Like someone posted (trispoke, I think) go spank some roadie butt and they'll notice you. I first gained respect of the roadies at the state TT championships when I beat many of them.
Quote Reply
Re: RESPECT... triathletes don't have it [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
Doubletime wrote:

Exactly! Roadies hate other roadies, why should we be treated any different?

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a more entertaining (in the self-effacing sort of way) thread over on letsrun maybe a month ago that had a title along the lines of (paraphrased):
"A triathlete would wear a pile of shit on their heads of it guaranteed 0.0157 minutes off their marathon split."

I really got a kick out of a lot of the replies on that thread. Shift your perspective and you can kind of relate and find some humor there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:

There is Water at the Bottom of the Ocean

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yawn, yet another post and opportunity for triathletes to talk about all the roadies they pass on their training rides.

Here's a tip for all the triathletes with fragile egos: go ride responsibly and respectfully and you'll gain the respect of roadies. It's that simple, nothing more or less. I say that from experience first as the former, and now the latter.

Btw: I've never met a roadie who was even the least bit concerned about what triathletes though of them...
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 12, 13 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: RESPECT... triathletes don't have it [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
Devlin wrote:

I'm letting the days go by, water flowing underground.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The same goes for swimmers and runners. I mean, if you are good at swimming, then you'll be a swimmer; good at cycling, a cyclist; good at running, a runner.

Triathlete? That means you suck at all three.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason you care when the thread was started? Is it delaying you getting to another "check out my fit", "what bike should I buy", or "which tires should I use" post?

In other news the post in question may have been started a year ago but is ongoing and has been added to the last couple of days.
Quote Reply
Re: RESPECT... triathletes don't have it [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
randymar wrote:
Devlin wrote:

I'm letting the days go by, water flowing underground.

Once in a lifetime....

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roadie culture has an element of ridicule attached to it- that is once you are seasoned enough to cease making dumb mistakes you then move up the food chain and start shitting on the "idiots" who made the very same "dumb" mistakes you did.

Triathletes are easy targets for roadies because many are often less experience with cycling.

Guess what, that same cultural element exists in Triathlon. There have to hundreds of threads here that make fun of bike setups, bad fits, helmets on backwards, etc.

Re Respect- some folks are just a$$holes regardless of their hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: RESPECT... triathletes don't have it [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking Heads...we must be old. Explains why I do not care what roadies think.
Quote Reply
Re: RESPECT... triathletes don't have it [jxj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jxj wrote:
The same goes for swimmers and runners. I mean, if you are good at swimming, then you'll be a swimmer; good at cycling, a cyclist; good at running, a runner.

Triathlete? That means you suck at all three.

I resemble that statement :-(

Sad, but, true

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I give a crap what my wife thinks of me, as that determines the frequency of sex, but I really don't give a rats ass what anyone else (including roadies) thinks of anything I do.

Back in the day, when I first got into tri, and riding again, I used to refer to roadies as "non-swimmers" :-) Trispouse used to give me grief about that.

Now, some of my best friends are roadies :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: RESPECT... triathletes don't have it [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I end up pulling a bunch of roadies every time I do a century"

Maybe you should be doing the TDF to really show those roadies how useless they really are.. :-)

I don't think roadies question that some triathletes can be fast in a TT, but its usually triathlete bike handing skills that brings out howls of laughter within the roadie crowd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. You'll get all the respect you need and more when you pull the whole gang of 'em on the group ride. I guarantee none of them will mind sucking your draft. I recall the first time I did one of the LaGrange weekend rides in Socal, and after about 15 minutes, I was taking one of the hills at a hard effort (for me) desperately trying to keep the next guy ahead in sight since I didn't know the route. Took a quick glance behind me and was surprised to see over 10 guys all lined up right behind me - taking the draft of the lone triathlete in the group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over 20 years now of triathletes not liking roadies not liking mtb guys not liking Fixie riders, not liking tutti frutti ice cream... Who cares...

Guess what, your on a bike your a cyclist, your running your a runner, your swimming your a swimmer... Only when you do 3 back to back I.e. brick or race are you a triathlete... So for most not often..
Ride well on the bike swim well in the water and run well on the road/trail and no one will care if you choose to link em up once in a while...
People only get the shits when you don't do the above....

Remembering this knocks down a lot of barriers.. And gets rid of some pointless titles.....

Anyhow must dash time to be a cyclist.. That smells of chlorine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:

meh, nearly 400 posts of mostly hatred, some of the same classic keyboard bravado we see here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm outraged.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said... when I'm on my bike I'm a cyclist. I don't ride my TT bike on a group ride. I ride my road bike. I don't wear a trisuit, an Ironman "finisher" jersey, Tri "Onesie", M tat, or talk about my before or after swim/run. Often I'm invited to ride with "roadie" teams, and usually by the time I tell them I SBR, It's a non-issue. I don't hide that I SBR, thats for sure, but I certainly don't Tattoo it on my forehead and expect others to be in awe of my workouts planned post ride.
Quote Reply

Prev Next