Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

REI fit scientists breaking new ground!
Quote | Reply
http://www.rei.com/...ht=400&width=600

who knew it was so... simple!

Clearly the big bike manufacturers have something to learn.

Quote Reply
Re: REI fit scientists breaking new ground! [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that guy's saddle height in the last scene of the video: the rei fit scientists figured that out for him?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be a lot easier to defend them (because they don't say what they measure and how they are calculating), it the rider they show all didn't look like they were riding with the seat 3 inches low.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: REI fit scientists breaking new ground! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just love the line where they state that once you determine your fit on one type of bike, you're set for every other kind!

Wouldn't that be nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SOLD!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't those new hybrid riders in jeans realize they could increase their efficiency by 5% if they had a proper saddle height! This is unconscionable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
http://www.rei.com/popUps/novara/nfit.html?height=400&width=600
who knew it was so... simple!
Clearly the big bike manufacturers have something to learn.
I like REI, but that is one funny video. Great acting too !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: REI fit scientists breaking new ground! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I like REI, but that is one funny video.

Totally agree. Chances are, I'd go in and the bike they suggest in their system would fit decently well.

But the video is just perfect fodder for ST!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saddle is too low
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my guess is that if you are shopping for your new Novara at REI, close is good enough.

Sadly, some LBSs aren't much better. When I was buying my first real road bike, I assumed going to the best LBS and getting fit was the right way to go about this large purchase. The employee checked my standover height and proclaimed that this bike was the right size. It was not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crazy awesome attention to detail they are showcasing with their weld quality too.
Quote Reply
Re: REI fit scientists breaking new ground! [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I had a road bike that was slightly too big (56cm Felt F65) and a hybrid that was too small (15" Trek FX series).

They're not even close, but 2 different LBS's "fitted" me on them.

couldn't stand over the top tube of the felt without crushing stuff - made it very difficult to put a foot down at red lights (was literally sitting on the top tube and leaning the bike over), and it felt very long, even though the top tube is about the same length as on my medium BMC which fits great.

My experience with many (certainly not all) LBS's is that they want you to buy a bike they have in stock, not necessarily the right bike for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the average consumer shopping at REI for a hybrid bike they will ride 5 times all summer, the fit that they provide will be fine.

Its not like they are advertising for high end road bike or tri bikes where fit is ultra important.
Quote Reply
Re: REI fit scientists breaking new ground! [Rhymenocerus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sell road, mountain, cruiser and hybrids. The commercial clearly advertises for all of them.

I would never even think of getting fit on a cruiser or a hybrid. I'd sit on it, and if I could spin the pedals that would be good enough. The point is, they are suggesting that with one "size" say medium, that all bikes in other categories will fit as a medium. I doubt it.

Nothing at all against REI. Nor do I assume they get serious racers in their stores looking at bikes, so no big deal. It is just a harmless and incorrect informational video.
Quote Reply