Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quintana Roo Tiphoon 2002 vs. 2003
Quote | Reply
a 2002 QR Tiphoon frame is $1300. A new 2003 complete bike is about $4000+ Do you think the changes between 2002 and 2003 is worth the price difference. I want the ti tri bike, but I don't want to be unhappy after I get the 2002 frame.

Olen
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Tiphoon 2002 vs. 2003 [muscle.boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off let me say, I haven't ridden either, I'm looking at this from a purely from an on paper view point.
I guess I would answer this with a serious of questions.
- How aero are you wanting to be?
The 03 will definetly be more aero.
But, depending on howfast you go, or where you're riding this may not be a factor.
-How important is weight?
For the 03 they haven't released any weight amounts, but it would almost have to be heavier than the 02. The 02 was a very light frame.
- How much will it cost you to build it up?
A standered Dura Ace complete build kit costs about $1500 dollars, plus shop expenses if you don't build it your self. But this still ends up $500-$1000 dollars cheaper.
-And ultimatly, which one do you think you need?
I would imagine you wouldn't notice much of a differnce between the two. But the 02 just doesn't seem quite as sexy.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Tiphoon 2002 vs. 2003 [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm stripping my current racing bike for parts, I'll just need new bars. I want to be as aero as I am currently, but I really want to get OFF the ALUMINUM bike!

Olen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the 2002 $1300?

EL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a chance to see the actual frame I'd go with the 02. QR's have been kinda unique in the fact, you very rarely saw any two that looked exactly the same. I've seen some that have been very aero, i've seen some that weren't. I bought my 01 QR kilo because the downtube was pretty thin (just under thirty milimeters) and the seat tube and the rear wheel were only about half an in apart. If you can get one of the quality 02's I'd save the money and get some nice HED bars, or better wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Tiphoon 2002 vs. 2003 [beELzebubba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry for taking so long to reply, I had to order mine first. I got it from http://www.excelsports.com/. They only had a 59cm and a 61cm. I 6'5" and this is the first time I've found MY size at a good price.

Everything is coming off my Cannondale to go on this bike. I've already got the nicest stuff on that bike, so I'm cool. However, I will be going with the regular brakes/shifters for now. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I've seen pro's using them, so I think I'll be fine with it too.

Olen
Quote Reply