Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Quintana Roo Superform ("restomod" project)
Quote | Reply
I'm bored by superbikes, electronic shifting, disc brakes, integrated everything etc. so I brought this old baby home to start a new project. Probably it won't gather that much attention here, but I hope someone might like it!

Last edited by: jollyroger88: Jan 27, 21 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some of the old HED wheels that were painted/decaled to match the early QRoos would look cracking. (Or even some newer wheels in the old scheme)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they would definitely. But 650c is a very small market today (almost no market at all); I was lucky enough to find a source that is giving away Vision team 30's in 650c, they should look good too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great project! Sweet score!

This takes me back. I have one in storage, a piece of history -- rides quite nicely.

I'm sure you've see this article: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...e_Superform_274.html

I can't remember the rear spacing, but I think that may be set up for 6/7 speed. If memory serves (not that I'm suggesting anyone ever do this), I just strong armed the stays and pulled them apart so they would fit newer stuff. Steel baby!

I hope you keep us updated on your progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
some of the old HED wheels that were painted/decaled to match the early QRoos would look cracking. (Or even some newer wheels in the old scheme)

this isn't my favorite among all of them, but it's not bad! it would be around 1991 or so.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frame here has 130mm rear spacing (suitable with newer hubs and wheels, of course with rim braking). I think it's a "later" Superform, in fact it spots internal routing for the rear brake. Apart the size, Thomas Hellriegel rode an identical frame at the 1992 ITU worlds . And yes, I will give updates about the project!

Last edited by: jollyroger88: Dec 22, 20 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed that earlier superforms are "taller" (longer steerer tube) with respect to later models. Is there a particular reason for this fact?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
I'm bored by superbikes, electronic shifting, disc brakes, integrated everything etc. so I brought this old baby home to start a new project. Probably it won't gather that much attention here, but I hope someone might like it!

that's nice...

see if you can find some NOS grip shifts to really make it work.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
I have noticed that earlier superforms are "taller" (longer steerer tube) with respect to later models. Is there a particular reason for this fact?

some of this is from memory, but remember a few things. first, the bike has 650c wheels. otherwise, look at where the pads sit on the image of that bike of yours. once we move from scott DH bars to syntace bars we had to account for a 7cm rise in the pads versus the centerline of the pursuit bar. that's versus, say, 2cm or so, maybe 2.5cm, from the bar bore to the top of the armrests in the bike in the image. we had to drop the height of the frame stack to accommodate for the change in aerobars.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here. this is my fave of the bunch. probably 1990 or so. between 90 and 92.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
that's hideous in all the ways I like.
The Salsa stem is the chef's kiss

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i'm trying to remember whose bike that is. it's got a name on it, but i can't read the name.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Morelock wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i'm trying to remember whose bike that is. it's got a name on it, but i can't read the name.

Perhaps the question you should be asking is... why isn't it Slowman's now? ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Morelock wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Perhaps the question you should be asking is... why isn't it Slowman's now? ;)

i don't have any of the old stuff, bikes or wetsuits. well, if i do it's very little. that bike is too small for me, but i absolutely remember building it. i just don't remember who i built it for. i remember those pursuit bars, which i was happy to find because they weren't deep drop, and because they let me put a level hood on there. maybe they were modolo. i don't remember. and those shifters were under the tape on the extensions. i believe it was SRAM, i think they made a version of the twist shifter where the whole handgrip shifted. that's what was on there.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

the mismatched bottle cages and yellow armcups are just killing me.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:

hey! the bottle cages are part of the paint scheme! one is teal, the other white. you probably don't appreciate picasso either!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:

some of this is from memory, but remember a few things. first, the bike has 650c wheels. otherwise, look at where the pads sit on the image of that bike of yours. once we move from scott DH bars to syntace bars we had to account for a 7cm rise in the pads versus the centerline of the pursuit bar. that's versus, say, 2cm or so, maybe 2.5cm, from the bar bore to the top of the armrests in the bike in the image. we had to drop the height of the frame stack to accommodate for the change in aerobars.

Thanks Dan, this makes a lot of sense
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

the clipless campy pedals (look patent) arrived first in 1992
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:

that's nice...

see if you can find some NOS grip shifts to really make it work.

thanks! I really like gripshifts but I already have dura ace bar end tt shifters that will get the job done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:

hey! the bottle cages are part of the paint scheme! one is teal, the other white. you probably don't appreciate picasso either!

and the framefit pump is piece of art too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Morelock wrote:

this isn't my favorite among all of them, but it's not bad! it would be around 1991 or so.

Those QR bikes are pretty badass looking for 1990-92.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Dec 22, 20 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Those QR bikes are pretty badass looking for 1990-92.

i think they went pretty fast too. i believe zack set the kona bike course record on one, and he rode maybe 4:27? there were quite a few fast splits, men and women, on that particular vintage of bike. i suspect the steel ones like this were faster than the subsequent aluminum ones.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a thought exercise...

How many minutes at 200w would a 75kg dude with an average position give up over the bike leg at Kona on that vs a new super bike?

More than 5min? Less than 5min? Genuinely have no idea...
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Dec 22, 20 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
As a thought exercise...

How many minutes at 200w would a 75kg dude with an average position give up over the bike leg at Kona on that vs a new super bike?

More than 5min? Less than 5min? Genuinely have no idea...

we could probably make a good estimate, but i honestly don't know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode that frame for 3-4 years! Loved the "Road Kill' paint scheme if I recall correctly due to the red splash.

Dan?

Shawn Skene
Last edited by: Shawn.Skene: Dec 22, 20 20:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next