Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quintana Roo SR-5 VS Cervelo Caledonia 105
Quote | Reply
Talk about the power of Slowman's persuasion!

Decided 2021 is going to be the year of at least one new (or new to me bike).

Already bought a Zipp 303 - tubeless wheel. That's a 1,000 dollar sign of commitment.

Now I need a bike to attach it to - my first choice is the Caledonia 105.

But with the limited availability of these hen's teeth, I am starting to look at other options.

That's why I have mentioned the QR SR-5. It comes with disc brakes as well, and can take the larger size wheels as well.

On my menu will be road racing, crits, "lazy" Ironman rides, and a bit (10-15%) of moderate gravel stuff. I won't be doing any big off road adventures that require that sort of extra capacity for gear.

Any owners of either bikes out there care to chime in?

Any other bikes that I should be looking at that would fit the bill?

Budget is no more than three grand.

Thnx.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo SR-5 VS Cervelo Caledonia 105 [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't comment on either of those two bikes but I'm looking pretty closely at an Orbea Orca OMX for next road bike. The OMR version is slightly more endurance-focused but shares the same geometry and can accommodate 35c tires. 105/disc version is under $3k.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/road/orca/cat/orca-m20-

Last edited by: Dgconner154: Jan 11, 21 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd take a look at the Canyon Endurace. For $3K you'll get Ultrega Components instead of 105 components.

If you can stretch your budget to $4K you get a lot of Di2 options (from Canyon, Quintana Roo and others). But a Di2 bike plus your Zipp wheels will be killer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a hard look at those two earlier this year, and lots of others, and I kept coming back to the QR. I had pretty much made my mind up on it, and then I ended up moving and my riding will be different enough that it wasn’t worth going through with the order.

I ended up looking for a gravel bike, and again I compared lots of options. I just ordered an Obed Boundary the other day. That specific bike isn’t relevant to your question, but I think it’s notable that I again came back to the QR family (Obed, QR, and Litespeed are all owned by the same company). I also own a CD.01 from way back. I just think that company makes great bikes that offer really good value.

Luckily, you really can’t go wrong, the Caledonia seems awesome too. But I’d go for the QR.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo SR-5 VS Cervelo Caledonia 105 [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Canyon & Orca are pretty sweet as well, and the fact that you can choose some of the components is a big bonus. Nice to know that if the Cervelo is unavailable I'll have some attractive options.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a bit of inside info on the QR, and this is a bike that i think you'll be happy with if/when you buy it, based on what i know what you will know. beyond that...

here is my concern with all these bikes. bikes that don't fit and that you can't adjust can be a real problem for people who're picky about stuff like that, which i am. for that reason, the caledonia is actually more appealing to me in your price range than in the more expensive price ranges, because this and the QR are easier to adjust. i don't think you could make a bad choice between these two bikes you mention.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo SR-5 VS Cervelo Caledonia 105 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan. Thanks for the insider information and validation.

Seems like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

One is a ruby the other a sapphire =)

My local (Vanc.) bike shop that sold me the wheel, says the Cervelo should be avail. in March.

Now I wait & dither.

Finally, I am v. relieved that both offer a high degree of adjustability. (easy? adjustability).

That'll also big a big factor in making my next tri-bike choice.

Right now, I alternate between my Softride Road Rocket (sticky beam issues), and my generation 1 QR Cd 0.1 (wonky seat angle adjustment screws) and would love to be able to fine tune things on the side of the road more easily.

Thnx, again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
The Canyon & Orca are pretty sweet as well, and the fact that you can choose some of the components is a big bonus. Nice to know that if the Cervelo is unavailable I'll have some attractive options.

Not sure about the Canyon, but I considered the Orca and it doesn't have much front center. The Cervelo has plenty of front center for 35mm tires. Toe overlap is unlikely an important issue on the road, although either with fenders on or on a gravel ride it may be more important. The Caledonia is on my list specifically for this reason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not familiar with the QR bike you mention but I have the Caledonia-5 Dura Ace version and it is an incredible bike. After riding it a handful of times I immediately sold my 2020 Cervelo S5 and am contemplating selling my Aspero also (we don't have real gravel where I live so it's not really used much anyway).

After owning the bike for a week we did a 290k ride with over 4000m of climbing and I enjoyed every second of it... well may not every second but the bike was absolutely amazing. That ride included 26kms on very rough gravel road and with the wheel/tire combo I was using (Enve 4.5AR with 28mm Vittoria Corsa Control) it was fine.

Other than training for Ironman on my tri bike the Caledonia will be the bike I will ride for absolutely everything else. Probably some small tweaks with tire selection and gearing but that's about it!
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo SR-5 VS Cervelo Caledonia 105 [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
I am not familiar with the QR bike you mention but I have the Caledonia-5 Dura Ace version and it is an incredible bike. After riding it a handful of times I immediately sold my 2020 Cervelo S5 and am contemplating selling my Aspero also (we don't have real gravel where I live so it's not really used much anyway).

After owning the bike for a week we did a 290k ride with over 4000m of climbing and I enjoyed every second of it... well may not every second but the bike was absolutely amazing. That ride included 26kms on very rough gravel road and with the wheel/tire combo I was using (Enve 4.5AR with 28mm Vittoria Corsa Control) it was fine.

Other than training for Ironman on my tri bike the Caledonia will be the bike I will ride for absolutely everything else. Probably some small tweaks with tire selection and gearing but that's about it!

Any chance you'd be able to post the weight of your DA Caledonia-5 along with the frame size? I'm very interested in this frame when the 12sp DA refresh comes around,
Last edited by: daleks: Jan 14, 21 19:34
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo SR-5 VS Cervelo Caledonia 105 [daleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey... so my bike is no longer in stock configuration, I swapped the saddle to an Arione R1, I put on a 120mm stem, also swapped the rear rotor from a 160 to a 140. The biggest change is that I currently have Enve 5.6 wheels on it, set up tubeless with GP5000 700x30 tires. In that configuration with 2 x Arundel Mandible cages, front and rear accessory mounts and Dura Ace pedals it weighs 16.8 pounds. With the stock wheels you would shave some additional weight off that.
Quote Reply