Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for.
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm looking at getting a QR PRsomething in the near future, but struggling with a few key decisions in regards to which one to go for. My key criteria are Quintana Roo frame, disc brakes, and a upper limit budget of strictly no more than ÂŁ5000 ($6500). I already have race wheels compatible with the frame. I can get the frame built up with components of my choice or one of QRs stock builds, so am not held to QR spec options.

1) Frame vs Components - do I spend less on frame and get a PR4/5 with more to spend on bars, groupset etc., or go for the PR6/6 two with a cleaner front end, and a lighter bike, and potentially integrated hydration on the 6 two. (as a lighter rider thinking the lighter frame may be more worth it for me vs a heavier rider as its a greater percentage of system weight?)
2) Di2 vs Mechanical - do I spend the greater amount for Di2 when my mechanical ultegra on my road bike works great (basebar shifting when climbing seems a big plus to me, especially as I like hilly bikes as a lighter rider and changing gear on climbs easier could be very handy)
3) Hydraulic vs Mechanical Disc brakes - do I spend more on the hydraulic disc I know and love, or spend less on mechanical discs that would be not as good (thinking along the lines hilly bike=descents and braking)
4) Hydration - if not the 6 two, what front hydration would you recommend, and whatever places do you place bottles (e.g. aero bottle on down tube, behind seat etc.)

thanks in advance, and sorry for the waffle!
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek Speed Concept with rim brakes and an Ultegra Di2 group.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Trek Speed Concept with rim brakes and an Ultegra Di2 group.

Nailed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seemed to miss my key criteria... disc brakes, Quintana Roo!
Is a reason for these in that my race wheels are disc brake and I’m a complete convert to discs, and I know the GB distributor for QR as they’re very local, and have a good relationship with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like what this person did - PRfive frameset with tririg alpha one bars. You could do the same with the disc version of the frame.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._vs._PRsix_P6811644/

di2 vs mech - di2!!! No one goes di2 and regrets it. Make sure you get both the extension shifters as well as the brake lever shifters.

hydro vs mech brakes - everything I've read points to hydro, so I wouldn't waste your time with mech. I have hydro on an MTB, super smooth even after mud/rain rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
That set up looks super sleek!
Last edited by: TommyBTri: Aug 7, 20 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented a pr6 with electric shifting for age group nationals. The hardest part of the race was parting with that bike after the race. Electronic shifting was really awesome to have especially when climbing. Awesome bike. With that said, not sure which part was best the frame on the pr6 or the electronic shifting, so this is probably not helpful to your question of which to choose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a PRfive rim with Di2 earlier in the year; it's my first tri bike, and likely to be the one I stick with for a long time. I love the frame, the fit, the components. I went with rim instead of discs as a cost-saving feature; stopping power for me in tri isn't as important as when mountain biking or just road cycling. YMMV.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I got a PR3 rim brake frame on closeout, and built it up with Tririg alpha X bars and omega brakes catching their sale for a good discount. That allowed me to put SRAM AXS Force 12 speed components and I used my HED Jet 6 wheels. It “was” a great bike, darn near perfect until a car pulled out and schwacked me in a race. So as I’m recovering and waiting on settlement I’m looking to replace the frame. Now that I have a “do over” I’m looking to go disc brakes. I never thought I’d “need” them especially here in flat florida, but I never thought I’d “need” a power meter or electronic shifting either! I’m going to go mechanical to save $$, but I always have the option to upgrade to hydraulic later. You can’t go wrong with the PR5 or PR6; what will drive your decision is the cockpit you want to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a very resonant thread for me.

I already had a Trek SC 9.9 with top end everything. That bike is phenomenal. Maybe the new Cervelos rival it, but no one has made a great case there is a better bike on the market.

I then bought a PR5 Ultegra mechanical as a backup/training bike. I liked that it was easy to breakdown and reassemble for someone with a modest wrenching skill set. I could put it in a Hen House and fly to races before the new airline rules came along. For big races, I would revert to the SC.

As a fun winter project, I swapped in an Ultegra Di2 groupset and an Alpha One cockpit. The results are:

— a great feel upfront with the TriRig. I support that product enthusiastically
— an excellent groupset that is indistinguishable from the DA Di2 on the Trek
— a much more intricately cabled bike than the mechanical version I had—I won’t be breaking this one done
— a bike that still weighs a lot—a notorious critique of the QR. I know the new PR6 supposedly has lessened that problem, and aero trumps weight with Tri bikes, but it is a miserable feeling to go from my lightweight road bike to this thing
— a bike that has given my mechanic a lot of fits with the cabling, junction box placement, etc.

I do think the QR has borrowed well from the designs of great bikes. The service online and at races is a great benefit. They really stand behind their product and are accessible.

All-in, I really like this company and their bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get the PRfive you can run the Profile Design 1/seventeen stem with the new face plate so that you can have the Aeria hydration system up front (like the PRsix.2
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [carterwehrer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a PR5 with Di2 and a Zipp Vuke aerobar. Very easy to work on and disassemble. I run a Speedfil A2 BTA (https://speedfil.com/...n-systems/aerobundle) & 2 bottles behind the seat. For long training I'll run another bottle on the downtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Literally just went through this on my purchase. Wound up going PRfive, in part because I wanted a non-integrated front-end so I could swap a couple things around the way that I would prefer them to be.

• Mechanical disc -- there's no real difference in stopping power; it's just easier for me to maintain versus hydraulic.
  • I bought mechanical Ultegra, although I will likely swap over to an electronic group in the future.
  • Bought the HED Vanquish wheels as well

I've honestly loved all the prior QR bikes I've ridden (CD0.1s). And yes, if you look at the bottom of the site, QR is a partner. But it really has been the experience on board those prior bikes that when I got rid of my P3 earlier this year to swap everything over to discs (one standard in the house, dammit!), it was an easy decision.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, sensing a lot of love for the PR5 disc, this could be the way to go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The PRsix2 is an awesome bike. Dan built one up here -- https://www.slowtwitch.com/...an_s_Build_7657.html

I got a five, as mentioned, mainly because I highly prefer a "regular" stem/bar/fork combination. But I don't think you can really go wrong with either one.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess it’ll come down if I can afford di2 on a six/six2, and what set up’ll work best with my Tri bike fit coordinates (which I’ll get in the next month or so) etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [carterwehrer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m curious, why did you go with the 1/seventeen stem and faceplate instead of the Aeria ultimate stem? Is it because of the way the front brake cable for the disc brake routes into the stem cap?
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PRwhat? picking which frame/components to go for. [Crash_Davis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a PRFive disc. I upgraded to zipp vuka bars and extensions, aeria stem and hydration, and hydraulic discs. Doesn’t get any better in my mind.

The aeria stem has brake routing too. I think it weighs the same as my entire bike, but who cares about weight?
Quote Reply