Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quietest cassette setup for trainers
Quote | Reply
I moved to a new apartment where my trainer noise seems more pronounced, and I am worried about bothering my family/neighbors. It prevents me from riding early mornings entirely.

Currently I have a Hammer with 105 cassette, YBN SLA chain, and Rock'n'Roll lube.

The Hammer was on par with others when I purchased it but I know the new gen trainers are far quieter. I'm considering changing to the H3 (or even Neo) in order reduce noise, but that purchase is at least a few months out.

In the meantime, I'm curious whether there are other ways to reduce noise, such as the cassette. Can't find the post but someone mentioned the 105 cassette is not the quietest. Which cassettes are quieter then? Ultegra, 1-piece like Edco, multi-piece like Miche? Ti vs steel? Singlespeed with spacers set to perfectlyalign the chain? (I only ride ERG)

For reference, since it may matter due to the spider sets, I ride in the 16t cog as that is the quietest.

Any recommendations for chain and lube selection would be welcome, too, if you think my choices aren't ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest cassette setup for trainers [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably use the heaviest lube/grease that you can on the chain. I doubt the cassette makes much difference unless you use a single speed cog.
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest cassette setup for trainers [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think a single speed cog would be much quieter? I'm open to going that direction
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're always in erg mode, pick the small chainring and 2-3 from the biggest cog (probably in the 19-21t range). That will give you the straightest chainline, and it will be an easy gear, so flywheel speed and thus trainer noise should be lower. Feel free to fine tune your derailleur in this gear to make sure its aligned perfectly for minimum chain noise.
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest cassette setup for trainers [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently running 1x, so that isn't an option. But I could put a smaller chainring on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Do you think a single speed cog would be much quieter? I'm open to going that direction
Honestly it's a bit of a guess, but the absence of ramps or other jagged teeth, and a bigger surface area, may help.

The other thing (probably more beneficial) if you go that way would be to entirely ditch the derailleur and have a direct drive, if you can successfully keep a reasonable chain tension (can probably get away with it being pretty loose honestly). That way you won't be banging the chain around another two small jockey wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest cassette setup for trainers [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting idea. I wonder whether anyone is using a single cog with derailleur bypassed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You own a smart trainer, so not using it would be boring. But........you could leave it in the small front ring and perfect chainline and just use ERG mode and set the watts for max quiet.

Otherwise, the hammer isn't as quiet as folks here claim it is. DCRainmaker has videos of trainers. If you're really worried about it, swap trainers. If you want a quiet cassette, the new Shimano "R" stuff is the way to go. R8000 for budget/performance maximizing.

If you're keeping your trainer, get an R8000 cassette and avoid cross chaining at all. Perhaps build a little cardboard box with foam egg crate sound insulation inside it to place over the rear of the trainer/drivetrain.

For me, my fan makes 10x the noise as my smart trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what sort of mat are you using under your bike/trainer? I wouldn't think the drivetrain noise would make much difference, but throwing a big SS cog on and a small chainring should keep the trainer speed low. I don't have a hammer, so i don't know how much that matters.
Last edited by: rob_bell: Mar 31, 20 6:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a noise standpoint trainers are optimized to work with really small rings. Using a little gear minimizes the speed at which the cassette is rotating at a given cadence. This means all the internal parts of the trainer are moving slower and working quieter. You will be limited as to how small you can go on a 1x setup (unless its a MTB crank) and this will be a limiter in your situation. Do go smaller on the ring if possible and this shouldn't require a different chain for indoor riding. You could also play with the cog order on an old cassette to get a 28 tooth in the position of the current 16 tooth. You would need to remember not to shift but it would work in erg mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, DCR writes the he uses Ultegra cassettes on trainers for his tests because it is the quietest and gives him consistent loudness test data.
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest cassette setup for trainers [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
You own a smart trainer, so not using it would be boring. But........you could leave it in the small front ring and perfect chainline and just use ERG mode and set the watts for max quiet.

Otherwise, the hammer isn't as quiet as folks here claim it is. DCRainmaker has videos of trainers. If you're really worried about it, swap trainers. If you want a quiet cassette, the new Shimano "R" stuff is the way to go. R8000 for budget/performance maximizing.

If you're keeping your trainer, get an R8000 cassette and avoid cross chaining at all. Perhaps build a little cardboard box with foam egg crate sound insulation inside it to place over the rear of the trainer/drivetrain.

For me, my fan makes 10x the noise as my smart trainer.

As I mentioned, I have a 1x, so there is no small ring. But I could swap to a smaller ring. I enjoy the TrainerRoad plans and don't think there's anything boring about them!

The Hammer was comparable at the time, but certainly isn't quiet compared to the new generation of trainers. Swapping trainers is easy, but spending $1000+ is less so. I might do so, but won't be able to justify it for at least a few months.

Good to know about R8000, thanks. I have one on a wheelset that I could transfer and compare.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Mar 31, 20 15:01
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest cassette setup for trainers [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
From a noise standpoint trainers are optimized to work with really small rings. Using a little gear minimizes the speed at which the cassette is rotating at a given cadence. This means all the internal parts of the trainer are moving slower and working quieter. You will be limited as to how small you can go on a 1x setup (unless its a MTB crank) and this will be a limiter in your situation. Do go smaller on the ring if possible and this shouldn't require a different chain for indoor riding. You could also play with the cog order on an old cassette to get a 28 tooth in the position of the current 16 tooth. You would need to remember not to shift but it would work in erg mode.

Seems strange if trainers were optimized for gearing other than what is typically on bikes. I currently have a 46t on the trainer but my 110 bcd crankset allows for 34t to fit. With 46t in the front and 16t, the trainer simulates 20mph around 90 rpm. I would have to make sure whatever gearing I choose, I can still spin it up for calibration. Also, is there a minimum flywheel speed to maintain accuracy and feel?

rob_bell wrote:
what sort of mat are you using under your bike/trainer? I wouldn't think the drivetrain noise would make much difference, but throwing a big SS cog on and a small chainring should keep the trainer speed low. I don't have a hammer, so i don't know how much that matters.

I use a trainer mat from a bike shop. Same as what Wahoo and Saris sell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think gplama had a video of quietening your smart trainer.
https://gplama.com/...art-trainer-quieter/
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest cassette setup for trainers [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like that is just for coasting
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Apr 1, 20 0:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I reckon the sound being transmitted to other rooms/apartments is mostly low frequency sound via the floor. Higher frequency airborne sound will carry far less. The most important thing to get right is probably what's under your trainer and fans. Of course if a different cassette reduces vibration too, you may want to do both.
Quote Reply