Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes
Quote | Reply
Hokas were a game changer for me 5-6 years ago but for 2-3 years they've been consistently unworkable on account of blisters. The Hapuna's prevented me from walking normally for 4 days after a 6 mile run. The Bondi's are too much shoe and the Tracer 2s were a racer not fit for training and the Tracer 3s were a lightweight trainer without enough support for much training but too much shoe for racing. The Hoka recovery sandals -- those are the only Hokas I've liked since the Clifton 3.

Positive thoughts on Nike's. After reading this great thread on the new Nike options, I picked up a pair of the new Pegasus Turbo trainers, which have the miracle foam from the 4% racing flats that Nike spent $50M developing and marketing. They are some of the most comfortable shoes I've had in quite a long time. The upper is soft and feels seamless. The springiness of the foam is mildly perceptible -- certainly not mind blowing for $150, but you can feel it. They feel fast and smooth. No blisters, and after 100 miles I've only lost two toe nails -- this is a multi-year best for me in toenail loss. The offset seems to be just perfect.

Also grabbed a pair of the Zoom Fly and they are going back. So much less comfortable in comparison it might as well be a different genre entirely, and I suppose it is. The Zoom Flys feel stiff and stodgy and the upper feels like a wooden plank compared to Pegasus.

This is not a troll, and I am not angry at Hoka or Nike or Alberto Salazar. That's all.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
.....No blisters, and after 100 miles I've only lost two toe nails -- this is a multi-year best for me in toenail loss.....

Just picking this piece out: Why is toe nail loss seem to be a thing? I’ve never understood people accepting this as normal.
Shoes too small? Bad sock choices?

I’ve been running fairly competitively for 12 years and have never once lost a toe nail...

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mid-foot and fore-foot width are ok ? Need to try a pair on, thanks for the review
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
-- certainly not mind blowing for $150,

Where are you getting them for $150? They’re $180 everywhere I’ve seen. But yes, great shoe.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an individual problem I have had with every shoe I've ever owned going back to the Kayano 5 in 1996 or something. I don't think it's user error... If the shoes are big enough that I never hit the end of them, I slide around too much and get blisters on the bottom of my foot. If they are short enough to keep me from sliding, I tend to hit the end of them, particularly with my 2nd from the right toe which is longer than my big toe, and particularly with my right foot which is half a size bigger than my left. Injinji toe socks prevent inter-toe blisters which used to be a big issue for me.

I know I'm not run fit until I've lost the majority of my toenails. That's basically how I just my training load. YMMV and obviously does
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
mid-foot and fore-foot width are ok ? Need to try a pair on, thanks for the review

They are perfect for me in those widths.

$180, yeah...I'd deliberately forgotten that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a suggestion to you. I have been going down the Hoka path for a while but starting to move away as well. I still like the Cavu and I think worth the try. Slightly firmer than the Clayton but still super cushioned and the upper is a lot better with no blister issues and plenty of room. I've been keen to try the Pegasus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
This is an individual problem I have had with every shoe I've ever owned going back to the Kayano 5 in 1996 or something. I don't think it's user error... If the shoes are big enough that I never hit the end of them, I slide around too much and get blisters on the bottom of my foot. If they are short enough to keep me from sliding, I tend to hit the end of them, particularly with my 2nd from the right toe which is longer than my big toe, and particularly with my right foot which is half a size bigger than my left. Injinji toe socks prevent inter-toe blisters which used to be a big issue for me.

I know I'm not run fit until I've lost the majority of my toenails. That's basically how I just my training load. YMMV and obviously does

Ah, a case of the bitch feet. Don't worry, I have the same problem. Requires a lot of extra foot care to take care of what my girlfriend calls "diva feet". Do you tape your feet in problem areas before every run? I do for most of the summer. When it comes to running shoes, it really isn't the shoes. When it comes to combat boots...I've always had to be careful in what I wear.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

I have the same issue. My toenails will be fine until I start cranking out more kms each week (usually happens once I get over 4 hours per week), then I'll get black toenails on my toe inside my big toe, sometimes losing the nail, sometimes not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure that you have read the same things I have but I suggest the Zoom Fly Flyknits. They are supposed to be better than the Zoom Fly and Turbos. I have the 4% and 2 pairs of the Zoom Flys and the Zooms are a good fit but after wearing the 4% they just do not have the same pop.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried different lacing patterns?
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I am sure that you have read the same things I have but I suggest the Zoom Fly Flyknits. They are supposed to be better than the Zoom Fly and Turbos. I have the 4% and 2 pairs of the Zoom Flys and the Zooms are a good fit but after wearing the 4% they just do not have the same pop.

Yah the vaporfly 4 are so soft and bouncy! Hopefully the pegasus is the same
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peg Turbos are nothing like the 4%. The new Zoomfly Fly Knit are a Vapor 2%-ish. Very nice shoe...NOTHING like the V1 of the Zoomfly.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Peg Turbos are nothing like the 4%. The new Zoomfly Fly Knit are a Vapor 2%-ish. Very nice shoe...NOTHING like the V1 of the Zoomfly.

Interesting. I ran in the Pegasus 34 and really liked them, I also have a pair of rarely used Zoom Flys. They are so uncomfortable, but fast for a 5-10k, though 10k is pushing the bounds of what my feet can stand in them!

What is the durability of the Peg Turbos or Zoomfly Fly Knit like? I head that the Vapor Flys would be worn out after 150 miles, I'd be hoping to get nearer to 500 out of normal shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ditto what anthonypat said about the zoom fly flyknit -- much better than the regular zoom fly, and worth a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the upper and heel of the flynit zoom fly? The zoom fly's tear up my Achilles on longer runs and I get blisters. Hoping the flynit upper will solve this. Also... how is the sizing? I sized up a half size on the zoom fly's based on people's recommendation.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also got torn up on the achilles with the zoom fly when I did longer runs without socks, and could feel it with socks. Haven't worn the flyknits sockless yet but don't feel anything. The top of the heel is a softer and thinner knit than the heel cup. Wore them with thin socks for a wet half and felt good throughout. I tried the epic react and felt like the flyknit upper wasn't that great, the flyknit is better for me.

Sizing... 11.5 zoom fly, got 11.5 flyknit and feel like I could drop to an 11 but don't feel like I need to. I tried a zoom fly xp in 11.5 and it was pretty tight.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd size up from Vapofly but didn't need too with the knit. Not as tight as the React knit and allows for my wide-ish foot plenty of room
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
How is the upper and heel of the flynit zoom fly? The zoom fly's tear up my Achilles on longer runs and I get blisters. Hoping the flynit upper will solve this. Also... how is the sizing? I sized up a half size on the zoom fly's based on people's recommendation.

sizing is the same as the Vaporfly, not as bad as the ZF v1...those I went up a full size. No Achilles issue for me...get a pair at RW and return for free if you don't like and get a couple sizes. For me they are the same size as most other shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you guys using for racing vs. training? I've been suffering some decision paralysis with the Pegasus Turbo and new ZoomFly Knit for a racing shoe. I like a lighter uptempo shoe for racing and not a full blown racing flat. The last couple of years I've been using a Pegasus and a Hoka for training and the original Zoom Fly for racing. That setup has worked great and I enjoy the Zoom Fly's responsiveness at speed. I'm ready for a new racer and originally thought the Knit would be the ticket with the Turbo as a trainer shoe but looking at them both shoes seem to be in the same wheelhouse. Lightish (8.4 & 8.5) and supposedly responsive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracer 3s? I haven't seen those.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [zbittin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike has a pretty lenient return policy. I've got a co-worker that's always trying out new Nikes for his runs simply because their return policy is so good.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 100 miles in my vapor flys and still working very well. Cannot imagine not getting at least another 100 or so out of them unless the upper tears.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Thoughts on Nike Pegasus Turbo, the $50M Miracle Foam Running Shoes [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:

I’m using the zoom fly so now.

They seem good but don’t have much to compare them to.

I’m looking for a race shoe for 5ks

You think the fly knit would be faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently picked ups these same Nike Pegasus Turbo's.

I use to run in nothing but Newtons for about 5 yeas until a nasty stress fracture, then i used New Balance Vazee Pace but after 100 miles they always seem worn out and buying new shoes that often gets expensive, then went to ON cloud but every time i ran the bottom of my feet became so irritated it hurt to even wear shoes for 24 hours. I had worn Nikes in the past but to me Nike's were all about style and not function, i didn't care about looks or colors i only cares about what they felt like. So i went to Fleet Feet tried on just about every size 13/14 they had and the last shoe i tried on was the Pegasus at the sales guy's urging, at first the drop seemed a bit much, and it still does to me when standing or walking but when running it feels more natural. The cushion is much more responsive to me (that springy feeling) than the ON or New Balance i had been wearing. I've got about 6 short runs in them of about 10k each, so far they are great. The box is a little big to me so its very easy to over tighten the laces, once i stopped doing that they got more comfortable. Still having a little problem with the bottom of my feet, but i think its just from never letting them properly heal. We shall see.

I have a zoom fly 4% on reserve for me to try on when it comes in at Fleet Feet, so we'll see what happens there, i honestly don't know if its the knit version or not, i'm assuming so.
Quote Reply

Prev Next