Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days?
Quote | Reply

Recommendations?

Bib or regular shorts?

Male fitting.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion this DeSoto short. They are my favorite cycling short.

https://www.desotosport.com/...0-mile-cycling-short
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since trying them the I only buy Ale bibs. Best chamois of any shorts I have ever used IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto 400-mile bibs or Assos T.cento S7

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...o_s7-bib-shorts-mens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pactimo summit Raptor 2.0. Awesome bib and lifetime warranty. Made in USA. 👍🏻

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto 400 Mile bib shorts.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto 400 Mile shorts HANDS DOWN THE BEST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giordana Silverlines. They have a really nice pad and fit impeccably well. Shorts work fine with these, because they fit so well.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [TriathlonHolly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
De Soto 400 Mile.

Emilio — how about a special 50% off discount in honor of this thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Can you guess which shorts and bibs I like for long distance (or any distance)? :-)
This is an old picture. I have several of the newer bibs with the latest pad.

And no I am not on any team or sponsorship. These were bought because I like em.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assos T.Campionissimo_S7.

Lots of DeSoto 400 Mile fans here but IMO they love them only because they’ve never ridden in any of the Assos S7 line. The 400 fabric is very compressive. The S7 fabric feels like silk.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
Assos T.Campionissimo_S7.

Lots of DeSoto 400 Mile fans here but IMO they love them only because they’ve never ridden in any of the Assos S7 line. The 400 fabric is very compressive. The S7 fabric feels like silk.

That is what I like about the DeSoto shorts and bibs. I do have friends that prefer non-compressive fabric. I know it is not a sciency thing, but for long mile the compression feels better to me when fatigue starts setting in. All my team bibs are from Hincapie and I don't like those for anything longer than 50 miles.

I may try out the Pactimo that were mentioned earlier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First. Go bib. They are the bomb.

Second, the shorts depends a lot on your physiology. I have the 400 mile shorts, but that pad is a bit robust and creates hot spots. For me, I think I need a leaner pad with thickness in the right places.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have three pairs of Desoto 100-mile and one Tribib.

Two pairs of bibs got holes in the crotch after 18/24 months. The Tribibs ripped in the thigh pulling them up.

I have at least a dozen other brand bibs that are so much older yet no issues at all. No rips. No tears. Nothing.

Desoto get's so much praise and the pad is good, but my experience with quality is not very positive. Despite how comfortable they are, I just don't see myself buying them again.

Quote | Reply
TriathlonHolly wrote:

I know they get a lot of love around here, but they chafe the hell out of me. The stitching around the edge of the pad leaves me raw.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
TriathlonHolly wrote:

I know they get a lot of love around here, but they chafe the hell out of me. The stitching around the edge of the pad leaves me raw.
Same here. I bought two of them because they are always receiving such good reviews but they are HANDS DOWN THE WORST cycling bib shorts I have ever bought. Never had shorts that chafe the way these do.

And no, I am not a DeSoto hater, i have several other products from them (wetsuit, tri bibs, transition bag, etc) which I absolutely love.

As far as best bike shorts are concerned, I have always loved the Voler bib shorts but nothing beats the Capo bibs. They have been the most comfortable and durable that I've ever had. Hincapie stuff wasn't that great, Champion sucks, Louis Garneau is OK.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thom wrote:
TriathlonHolly wrote:

That’s a serious “bumm”er! I can’t use anything else for rides over 50. 5 Ironmans Strong, too! Everyone is different!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pactimo 12 hour Bib or the Pearl Izumi P.R.O In-R-Cool bib. I've logged several long rides in both of these bibs and love the crap out of them. I ride mostly ultra MTB or gravel.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
First. Go bib. They are the bomb.

Second, the shorts depends a lot on your physiology. I have the 400 mile shorts, but that pad is a bit robust and creates hot spots. For me, I think I need a leaner pad with thickness in the right places.

I will second this. Get bibs and find something that works for you. The 400 mile shorts are very well made, but the chamois will give me saddle sores if I were them. Voler black label are my go to. I can wear those 7 days a week without issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2; I love de Soto products but the stitching in their shorts is meant for durability, not comfort and it creates serious chafing issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
x2; I love de Soto products but the stitching in their shorts is meant for durability, not comfort and it creates serious chafing issues.

I will admit that I do have occasional issues as well. I do better with adding a little bit of cheap Queen Helene cocoa butter creme on my inner thighs. I have larger legs so most bibs can cause me an issue especially if the fabric tries to bunch up in the crease. For the most part the DeSoto bibs stay in place.

The combination of bibs, saddle and fit all come together, but when it gets into the 5 to 6 hour range on the bike almost any small issue starts to get magnified. The Cobb 55 JOF type saddle has also improved the longer distance rides for me. I know this is all personal preference.

I do plan on giving some other brands a try on the next purchase just to have comparisons so I am interested in the opinions of others. I will definitely give the Pactimo a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let’s clarify here...road or tri position? I think it makes a difference.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 27, 18 4:48
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Let’s clarify here...road or tri position? I think it makes a difference.
No difference as far as I am concerned; what is good for one happens to work for the other too, and what sucks for one tends to also suck for the other.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Survey - Best Cycle Shorts for 100+ Mile Training Days? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked because that is not my experience at all. For example, I love Assos bibs, but in my opinion, the pad is way too bulky for riding in the tri position and I can’t use them in such a position comfortably without my man parts feeling very crunched. I also really like the tri pad in Castelli tri shorts but wouldn’t want to do a 100 mile ride in a road position with them.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 27, 18 17:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I normally only use the 400 mile for road bike and then one of the smaller pads Emilio makes for the tri bike. It’s going to be position dependent but for me that jams my junk up too far with the 400 mile normally. I also use the riveria bib to race in so I get used to riding with that one on the tri bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next