Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Questions for running with dog?
Quote | Reply
I have a new buddy and thought I might try and run a bit with her, mostly to motivate ME. For those who do this, what do you use for a leash or device to keep her close? We have pretty solid leash laws here and people are nuts on enforcement, plus I don't want to create an issue. What age is it advisable to start? She's very young yet, but should get to be 60-70 pounds so should handle anything well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Maybe she could get me to do BarryP's plan......
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for running with dog? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d start with just walking and really getting her to heel consistently. After that it really shouldn’t take much more than the leash loosely in your hand. And depending on how she is may not be ready for a lot of consistent running on pavement
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for running with dog? [Willi3ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Willi3ja wrote:
I’d start with just walking and really getting her to heel consistently. After that it really shouldn’t take much more than the leash loosely in your hand. And depending on how she is may not be ready for a lot of consistent running on pavement

Thanks. We've been doing a lot of walking and she's pretty good. I will run more on trails in a local conservancy anyway, but thanks for the pavement tip. I see a lot of people here running with the leash around their waist. I didn't know if that was a specific product, or simply a long leash tied.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea my wife uses one of the belt products but I usually hold the end of a regular leash in my hand. She tried using a long leash wrapped around her waist, until the dog wanted to run after something and cinched down real tight on her stomach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't trust dogs, whether they're behind a real fence, an Invisible Fence, or on a leash

I will either move to the street, or cross entirely

I have found that the words "Oh, it's OK she's friendly" are almost always followed by "I'm SO sorry ... She's never done that before"

I guess dogs actually DO like the taste of runners, and sweat makes us extra salt

Sorry
Carry on

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for running with dog? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I don't trust dogs, whether they're behind a real fence, an Invisible Fence, or on a leash

I have found that the words "Oh, it's OK she's friendly" are almost always followed by "I'm SO sorry ... She's never done that before"

I guess dogs actually DO like the taste of runners, and sweat makes us extra salt

Sorry
Carry on

That's odd, as almost every single dog I've seen running in our conservancy over the last few years (and there are a LOT of dogs running here) could care less about me or any other person. They were not even slightly distracted by either me, or the dog I was walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Sorry
Carry on

That's odd, as almost every single dog I've seen running in our conservancy over the last few years (and there are a LOT of dogs running here) could care less about me or any other person. They were not even slightly distracted by either me, or the dog I was walking.

Nice of RandMart to give such a constructive response. We've got 2 German Shepherds and I run with them 4/5x per week - only on easy runs and warm ups, no more than 4 miles at a time. I think any leash is good, but what we've found helpful for keeping them close is using a choke collar - we've never had an instance where they've charged a runner or other pedestrian, but they were trained to respond to the clenching down of the collar.

Enjoy, I really like getting out and spending time with ours and they enjoy it as well, to the point that whenever I get my running shoes they start running around the house and whine if I don't take them out the door with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just hold the leash in my hand. We do up to 6/7km on leash, otherwise I make sure we go where she can be off leash. She's good on leash - but she much prefers the freedom to sniff at will (and bark at squirrels).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoyed seven different dogs as running partners over the years. All mutts. Always ran them early morning before the getting hit with direct sunlight and too many people on the running paths or sidewalks.

One started with a leader leash to learn that the sole purpose of the run was not to stop and smell at every tree.

The others knew running was the primary purpose from the get go.

Always ran with a five or six foot leash. Rarely even realized a dog was attached except when a squirrel, deer, rabbit, coyote, or an occasional wild pig jumped out of the ground cover or woods.

The youngest was age 12 months when starting out. At 1-2 years old, ran 2-3 times a week.

At age two, they ran everyday they wanted to run. Three of them: a primary OZ Cattle Dog (blue healer) mix (65 lbs), Lab mix (65-70 lbs), and border collie (35 lbs when wet) mix wanted to run everyday. We eventually worked our way up to 50+ miles a week. They were more addicted to the running that I was at the time. The blue healer and lab mixes could run a 5K at a 5:00 minute mile pace. These guys ran year-round in the mid-west and one there plus Seattle & Phoenix (he moved a lot). He also ran steady until about age 12 when he retired and lived another two years.

Working dogs (border collies, blue healers, labs, shepherds, make for better running partners. But the others loved to run too. One didn't like rain. One didn't like snow. One didn't like the heat. These guys didn't always run. Just when they wanted.

Also ran on occasion with 2 dogs. Usually one older and younger but we found a common pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
She's very young yet, but should get to be 60-70 pounds so should handle anything well.

Most people wait until 12-18 months to run with a dog on leash. I would talk to your Veterinarian.

We always use a belt/leash combo. Makes life much easier. Once the dog knows 'the rules' never had any problem and they ignored pretty much everything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run with my dog at least a short bit most mornings. She's about 60 lbs, as well.

The one downside is that now if I want to sleep in and run later, she starts pawing at the bedroom door when it is time to get up and run.

Keep in mind they can overheat pretty quickly. This time of year (in Dallas) I have to cap her off at 10-20 minutes. When it is cooler, she's good for up to about 5 miles.

I've tried a few of the running leash options, and recently got the new Trail Runner from Ruffwear. It's been the best option I've tried.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spencer93w [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello! I run with my dog a lot, she is an awesome huskey and most of the time loves it. I got a running harness for her so it doesn't choke her, and got a special leash and harness for me. It clips around my waist, and the leash clips to the dog and to my hips. It works great, and is much easier than holding the leash in my hands, plus if they are pulling its easier to maintain run form because they are pulling at your hips and not your hand/upper body.

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leashes seem to depend on the dog. With one of mine, I use the Stunt Puppy hands-free leash - the bungee is a good length for her and helps when she occasionally zigs when I zag. For my other, better-mannered dog, the bungee confuses her - if she feels any tension she stops - so we just use a handheld leash. I put an EasyWalk harness on them just to avoid jerking on their collars, and I like that it signals, "we're going for a run" vs. a regular walk.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, resist the urge to run her until she's 18 months or so old. I know you want to, but she will thank you when she's 10.

Second, if you properly train the dog starting no later than 12 weeks, you can run with just a regular old leash because she'll be trained to only do what you tell her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a Vizsla named Bonny that runs with my wife in the am and me in the pm. She's 4 and has been running with us since she was 6 months old. She's on a leash but never tugs it. She stops at red lights and knows my route. She's probably a smarter runner than I am.

Vizsla's are pretty well known in the running world as good partners.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started running again after a layoff and our approx 18 mos old mini labradoodle is going me. He’s about 25 pounds but has a ton of energy and seems to be able to go much faster than me.

I bought a hands free leash by Tuff Mutt on amazon. I like it cause the lease can move freely on the leash that goes around my waist. That way if he zigs his leash can articulate around my waist.

I find once he does his business he’s all in on the running. I try to not run (for both of us) in the heat of the day. I’ve brought an extra bottle of water for him before and he seemed to appreciate that.

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Gary, congrats on the new buddy!

I run daily with my dog who is the same size as yours should be. I'm not sure I agree with the 18 months recommendations some others threw out there, but there's some good info otherwise. Maybe a veterinarian could chime in on when a dog is ready for regular runs or specific time/distance for age.

The waist leash and chest plate harness thing we use is in this linked ST post here. I can't imagine ever running without them. We have hundreds and hundreds of runs on our EZU Dog gear with no problems. Ruffwear also makes really good stuff.

We also have one of those goofy dog visibility vests that Noxgear sells. Sometimes it turns itself off when the air temp is below 10-15F, but it's been good otherwise. Cars, bikes, etc. may give you a few ft of space, but sometimes dogs are harder to see...especially when they are dark colored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louie is my running partner. He is a 1yr old rescue mutt. He never complains, is always the first one up, I swear he smiles when it’s time to go for a run. Patience with him is key, he is a dog that loves to please so no need for much more than strong voice correction. After a few months of building up, he hardly ever tugs the leash, knows our route and loves to work a bit. If our pace is too slow, he tends to get easily distracted but with decent pace, he concentrates just like me. We tried waist leashes and fancy running collars but a nice simple lash and snug collar are perfect. He doesn’t like the heat much so even now with temps in 60 range, we don’t go as far. He is terrible at drinking from a water bottle so I limit distances that he can handle without drinking and when in doubt I will slow to a walk for him.

I do my best to respect other people and cross street to not “scare” anyone that might be afraid of dogs and always, always on a short leash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should not take your dog on "real" runs until they are a year old - it's bad for their joints or something...

I got a 10 month old siberian husky a few years ago and she would constantly pull on the leash so much she would choke herself. We got a harness that clipped in the front on her chest. If she pulled it would kind of twist her sideways and after a while she became really good on the leash and stopped pulling - to the point I rarely use that harness anymore.

I often run with her using a leash I made out of climbing webbing and small-ish carabiners clipped just to her collar. But because she gets so hot, I usually only take her on 3-4 mile easy runs, unless it is below freezing out, in which case we can run longer/faster. If it's over 55F I can't take her running at all.

Lately, I have been working with her on her husky skills and got her a real sled dog harness from ManMat, a canicross lanyard with a bungee section also from ManMat and a canicross belt to attach her to. Then I encourage her to pull and she seems to understand that pulling is OK when she has that harness on and not during other times. It's pretty fun to fly along the trail with her going full-bore! But she only pulls really hard for the first mile or so.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for running with dog? [spencer99w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spencer99w wrote:
Get a leader leash - the kind that goes around the dog's snout. It makes it so much easier to guide the dog along and not destroy the dog's trachea (sad that more people don't use these for this reason).

Can you explain this a little more. I just started running with a new dog that is not mine. My last girlfriend just used a collar to run with the dog and I sometimes ran and felt like it was bad. This new owner has the dog in a harness like this. I would think it would be even better than the leader lesh dog snout. Am I wrong about this?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

You must not have the magic scent. I definitely have it. Doesn't work on every dog by any means, seems to be a certain type and medium to large size dogs only, but I am always thinking these people could have an unexpected liability on their hands. It has happened a bunch on the lakeshore path with dogs darting across all of a sudden and extending their leash across the path. It would just take a cyclist or runner making a pass and they could go head over heels.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for running with dog? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run all the time with my 5 year old Vizsla. As others have said, it is quite common not to start them until they are 12-18 months, because of hip issues later in life. My Vizsla is great and cares about no other people or dogs though the squirrels can cause problems. I usually take a small pocketful of treats to reward him when he stays with me and doesn't pull. I also trained him on a snout-type leash as it didn't hurt his neck and he kept very close with it. https://www.amazon.com/...aining/dp/B00074L4W2
I also find the less lead that you give them the better. I also have a wooded area near me that I usually end in and let him off leash as it is much better for them to run sprints and walks rather than a constant training pace. I have found that he starts getting tapped out if I am doing any tempo under about 7:30 miles. He also taps out above 75-80 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for running with dog? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Thomas, it’s called a Gentle Leader and worked great with my black lab/golden retriever mix. We ran 30 miles a week starting at slightly less than a year old. She has since passed on and I still miss her a lot. BTW I have never been bitten by a dog on a run (knock wood) but have been bitten by a Canada goose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two very different experiences with the same breed of dog - Portuguese Water Dog. Started with a 4 y/o male. Pulled so hard I got stress injuries - shoulder/back. Tried trainers, etc. Gave up. Female puppy. Started walking her and jogging at 6 mos, now running 1 to 1.5 miles (still pretty slow). The first 1/2 mile is a mess - she's too excited to be out / with me / running. Then we settle in to a pretty good routine. One thing both dogs learned quickly and was valuable were directional cues. Both dogs know left, right, straight, cross (for streets after 'wait' - we always stop at the curb and look for cars), stop, run. The puppy has 'heel' down after the first 1/2 mile or so. The big dog *loves* water - he is motivated to run just to roll around in the creek we pass on the way home. Puppy? Only walks around in the creek for a moment to please me, I think. Bottom line - they are all different, don't push them too young too hard, try to keep them safe by respecting cars, providing water and be careful about time out at elevated temperatures. Both of my dogs are excited when I pull on my running shorts (although I think that my running glasses are what they really respond to) and it's fun to see them so ready to run... We use regular leads, have used extendable leads - good for creek exploration. I'm aiming for the waist leash with the puppy this summer...
Quote Reply

Prev Next