Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions for Shiv TT owners (non disc brakes)
Quote | Reply
A friend is looking for their first TT/ Tri bike and really like this bikes looks. Specifically in that 2015 ish range.
I don't know anything about the bike. So give me the good the bad the ugly. How is it to work on? Can you run different stems in cockpits does he have to be careful about wheel selection and so on.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Shiv TT owners (non disc brakes) [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the nose one version and that was a nightmare to travel with because recalbling the front back took 4 hands, many 4-letter words, and figuring out a system. With a TriRig brake on the front they would be super easy to wrench on.

The concern I have with recommending one would be that the cockpit design sucks. If you want to run a higher position and/or angled elbow pads you are going into DIY land. Expect many a trip to the hardware store and lots of head-scratching and custom stuff to get there. These bikes were designed back in the day when you slammed the stem and hoped for the best.

I went from a Specialized Transition with clip-ons and angled HED Lazy-s extensions to the Shiv. While the frame was ā€œtechnicallyā€ faster it took me forever to figure out why I went from FOP to MOP and to custom build a new cockpit.

The Shiv also isnā€™t going to be easy to run anything but narrow rims and tires. Trying to get a Force 25 was a poo show.

So I would suggest something like a P3 with a nice cockpit over a Shiv for anyone who doesnā€™t fancy a ton of custom work.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Shiv TT owners (non disc brakes) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks šŸ‘. I was unsure if he could put a alpha one on it but doesn't sound like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Shiv TT owners (non disc brakes) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to second guess the previous persons post.

Iā€™ve had no issue with this bike. Iā€™ve fit 23 and 25 on both front and back rim and wheel without issue.

Cabling hasnā€™t been any issue. All the internal routing tubes have made it really easy to work on. Do a full break down and rebuild in about an 1.5-2 hrs.

Upgrades have been pretty painless as well. Have a tri rig cockpit coming in this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Shiv TT owners (non disc brakes) [Neoluminous] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Would you mind sharing pics when done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great bike. I donā€™t use the water reservoir in the downtube because I prefer to drink water from a bottle rather than sip from a rubber hose. But Iā€™ve got mounts for two bottles, one between the aero bars and one on the down tube. I run 23 or 25mm tires on the Zipp wheels. What I like about the bike is that it is solid, uses standard components (I have Dura-Ace gruppo with shifters on the aero bar ends) and itā€™s silent when pedaling. I bought mine used from a one-and-done athlete, so I got a great deal on it. Highly recommend this bike.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Last edited by: SharonMcN: Aug 2, 20 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deleted - mine is Shiv Tri as well.
Last edited by: SusanH: Aug 2, 20 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Shiv TT owners (non disc brakes) [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like you have Specialized Shiv Tri, not the Shiv TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Thanks šŸ‘. I was unsure if he could put a alpha one on it but doesn't sound like it.
Sadly thatā€™s correct. No Alpha One on Shiv TT. Our older Alpha X fits though.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feedback on the Shiv TT (not other Specialized Shiv models, which are different bikes)

It's fast....faster than the Shiv tri versions

Front end
  • the front end is a little difficult to adjust. When I was doing a lot of aero testing, I was able to get efficient at swapping out risers/spacers pretty quickly
  • I have no issues setting up for a higher stack (set of risers/spacers) vs lower when I was doing shorter pure TTs.
  • 100% agree Mike above that if you want angled pads, you need to do you own custom spacers/pieces.
  • limited ability to adjust reach
  • Can get really narrow , my current setup is so that the BTA barely fits, but was narrower doing road racing TTs
  • no idea about different stems

Brake adjustment
- front is easy
- rear is a pain to work on under the bike. But once set, no issues with swapping out narrow training wheels with wider race wheels

Wheels/Tires
- I run clincher Zipp disc, 808 on front. no issues with 25s (Gp4000s, Corsa Speed). Used to race TTs with tubular version of same wheels

Other misc thoughts
  • Agree recabling is pretty straight forward. I am about to convert my bike to sram etap, will see how that goes
  • look for a bike with a full set of risers/spacers as recommended above
  • If you are going with a higher stack (spacers/risers) setup, make sure to use cross wing for stability
  • I use a modified fuel cell for flat kit/nutrition, BTA and rear bottle for half distance.
  • The Shiv TT does not have a bladder/internal water reservoir
Edit: I have not travelled with the bike by plane
Last edited by: gbtrinride: Aug 2, 20 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Shiv TT owners (non disc brakes) [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Sadly thatā€™s correct. No Alpha One on Shiv TT. Our older Alpha X fits though.

Ok. So Shiv TT (non disc brakes) + Alpha X =šŸ˜€

Shiv TT + Alpha one =šŸ˜Ÿ

Why does the x fit but not the one? And your alpha one guide lists the TT as an option.??????
Last edited by: Fishbum: Aug 2, 20 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually switched from Felt IA to the Shiv TT due to how easy it is to travel with. Its easy to work on, run cables, and the brakes are a piece of cake compared to some of the newer bikes with aero integrated brake. Other than the amount of bottles that can be carried on the bike (one on downtube and one behind the saddle), it is easily my favorite TT bike to work on, coming from a former tri shop mechanic.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Shiv TT owners (non disc brakes) [Jimi Sendrix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buying used I would make sure to get spacer and bolt kit that comes with frame. And the 2 seatposts. My bike is 2012 post nosecone. Great bike for TT. Not so much for Tri though people do use them.
Quote Reply