Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question re: adjusting front derailleur di2
Quote | Reply
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the front derailleur of my Ultegra di2 setup?

I have the version with the single buttons so basically I can only use full synchro shift mode.

I'm looking for a way to fine tune the front derailleur but with the single buttons I can only adjust the rear derailleur after I hold the button on the junction box for a few seconds.

What am I doing wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Question re: adjusting front derailleur di2 [RichardA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardA wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the front derailleur of my Ultegra di2 setup?

I have the version with the single buttons so basically I can only use full synchro shift mode.

I'm looking for a way to fine tune the front derailleur but with the single buttons I can only adjust the rear derailleur after I hold the button on the junction box for a few seconds.

What am I doing wrong?

Pretty sure the only adjustment for the di2 FD is the limit screws on the derailleur itself. Get those set properly, and there is nothing else to adjust, syncro or not.

If you are asking how to gain shifting control (manual non-syncro) of your FD while using a single button syncro setup, that is a very different question...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which Ultegra Di2, 6870 or 8050? From the sound of it, it seems you have 8050 (6870 has two limiting screws, whereas the limits on the 8050 are adjusted differently)?

In which case, fellow forumite Di2Terry has written a helpful guide on this here

Warning, don't go looking for the low limit screws on the 8050 FD; it isn't there.
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 3, 21 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: Question re: adjusting front derailleur di2 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aha, then probably only Dura Ace also has the option of electronic adjustment for the front derailleur because I saw a video of it on YouTube. I'll stick to the screws then.

That second question is indeed one that I already answered negativ a while ago...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardA wrote:
Aha, then probably only Dura Ace also has the option of electronic adjustment for the front derailleur because I saw a video of it on YouTube. I'll stick to the screws then.

That second question is indeed one that I already answered negativ a while ago...

I'm using the new single button di2 brake levers as my brakes are hydraulic, but I installed the older 2 button extension shifters which allow me to use the system in what I assume is 'manual mode', and I manually shift my FD from the left two button shifter, no automatic syncro shifting. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Question re: adjusting front derailleur di2 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, but my problem is then with the low limit adjustment. How do I do that when I don't have the separate shifters for the front derailleur? When I press the junction box button, I can only adjust the rear derailleur.

Added: yes it's 8050
Last edited by: RichardA: Apr 3, 21 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardA wrote:
Thanks for that, but my problem is then with the low limit adjustment. How do I do that when I don't have the separate shifters for the front derailleur? When I press the junction box button, I can only adjust the rear derailleur.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding.....

Are you trying to figure out how to adjust the -limits- (lower limit in this case) of your front derailleur?

Again, my understanding is that the only setup you need is to use the adjustment screws on the FD, like shown here at the 5:35 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9emXKqr4U
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 3, 21 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: Question re: adjusting front derailleur di2 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't apologise, it's probably me not explaining well.

In the link that was posted above you see two bolts/screws. The support bolt (which you see in your YouTube link) and the top bolt for the outer ring.

In the link you also see that the lower limit is set by pressing the button on the junction box and then adjusting with the front derailleur shifters. But I don't have specific front derailleur shifters. So this is where I have my problem.

I will try to follow your YouTube link and hopefully that will also do the trick.

But hopefully someone here knows the answer. Its a problem specific to the tt setup with the single button synchro shift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the Shimano Dealer Manual this should still work, even if you don't have any shifters set up to shift the front derailleur:

https://si.shimano.com/.../DM-R8050-04-ENG.pdf - page 139. You do need to be in small x large (easiest gear) though.
After setting the low limit electronically, also set the top limit electronically. See page 143.

Both "tech tips" shown on the right hand side apply to your situation:

Quote:

If the rear derailleur cannot be set to the
largest sprocket in synchronized mode,
switch to manual mode before setting the
rear derailleur to the largest sprocket.

E-TUBE PROJECT can be used to set the
chain to the largest chainring and largest
sprocket.

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Last edited by: Di2Terry: Apr 3, 21 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardA wrote:

Added: yes it's 8050

There is a ways out of your jam, assuming you don't have any other Di2 shifter handy. But you will need to have the E-tube software installed.

Before you do this though, you do need to first adjust the high limit screw (called the "top adjustment" by Shimano). My apologies about my previous post, as the high limit screw is very much on the 8050 FD. This is still done the way FD high limit screws have always been adjusted, and doesn't require signals from a shifter.

You'll want to select the "Customize" option (see below)

Followed by selecting "Front derailleur adjustment setting". Once you select that, the E-tube software will ask if you have done a top adjustment; click yes, as you have done so.

The software will next tell you to shift to the chain to the big chain ring and the largest cog. When you hit "next", you have five seconds to rotate the crank, and the system will automatically do the shifting for you. Once you've done hit the next button and started rotating, E-tube will shift the chain to the big-big position. E-tube will next show the following. The "Down(-)" and "Up(+)A" buttons will be used to move the cage. This is what a dedicated front shifter would have done, but given that you don't have one, you'll have to use this method on the E-tube software to adjust the low limit setting.

Last edited by: echappist: Apr 3, 21 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: Question re: adjusting front derailleur di2 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I also found another way I think. If you press the button on the junction box to go to adjustment mode, the single button shifters then only adjust the rear derailleur (which was my problem). But if you then double click the button on the junction box the shifters adjust the front derailleur.

But I really like the direction you pointed me in, I'm going to explore the possibilities with the laptop a bit more.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s in the manual as Well, I’ve saved it times like that - I Can’t be bothered to try and remember what different kind of button presses do and flashing LED’s mean.
Either way, you probably have 4 buttons, two on the extensions and 2 on the base bar? - just set it up, so that the extensions switch the RD and the base bar shifts the FD, that way it’s already set up, if you need to adjust at another time or just want to switch away from full synchro at some point. Not sure full synchro has convinced me quite yet, But this it probably Down to me running a non-standard setup, so I cant choose the correct chain ring and cassette sizes in the E-TUBE software
Quote Reply
Re: Question re: adjusting front derailleur di2 [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a pretty good idea, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your setup. Right now, due to lack og availability i’m running a 12-25 cassette on my medium cage derailleur. I’ve set it up as a 11-28 i e-E-TUBE, since the 12-25 isn’t available with the gs derailleur - it is on another bike with the short cage. So basically, if you’re running something non-standard, you need to calculate on gear ratios to use either semi or full synchro to get it right. Otherwise it’s manual. As much as I like the thought behind the full synchro, I very much like to choose for myself whenever I need to change the FD. in case I need to shift Down 1-200m to lower gear, I Can see the terrain changes, unlike the di2 system, and I may want to opt on going for a cross chain for a while, rather than making two FD changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardA wrote:
Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I also found another way I think. If you press the button on the junction box to go to adjustment mode, the single button shifters then only adjust the rear derailleur (which was my problem). But if you then double click the button on the junction box the shifters adjust the front derailleur.

But I really like the direction you pointed me in, I'm going to explore the possibilities with the laptop a bit more.

Thanks again!

You are welcome.

Also, how many buttons do you have in total? Is it just the two, or do you have more?

If you have more than two buttons, you could temporarily reprogram the buttons (using the E-tube software), so that you have four buttons, one each for each direction on each derailleur.
Quote Reply