Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question on Running a Half Marathon
Quote | Reply
A friend tried to convince me to do a half marathon in 2 weeks. I have never run this distance before, but I do have a plan to do a 1/2 IM this year, and I don't have doubt that I can complete a half marathon.

So far my training distance had gotten me to about 7 miles, and I'm in a reasonable off/spring season shape. Can anyone offer me any opinions on whether I can or I should or should not do this in 2 weeks? If I would risk injuring myself, then it might not be worth it.

Anyway, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Running a Half Marathon [xcool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that others on this forum know more than I do, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway =)

I would try to do one more long run in the neighborhood of 10-11 miles (at half marathon pace) no later than a week out from your race. That will give you an idea as to how it will feel to complete the 13.1 miles, without putting too much stress on your body and still giving you time to sort of taper.

As far as injury goes, it really depends on the condition your body is in. There's always the risk of injury in our sport, but at some point it's all on your shoulders to make the determination as to whether or not your body can handle the strain. I do think, however, that if you can get through a 10 mile training run without too much trouble then you should be good to go for a half mary, provided you don't try to smoke it too much!

Good luck!

(PS: I'm in the same boat as you, thinking about an early season 1/2 mary in prep for my first HIM later this season.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oy. If you've never run farther than seven miles, I'd say you're pushing it. Sure, you'll be able to complete the distance (unless you push way too hard and get yourself into distress) but you're gonna be sore and possibly injured. If it's important to you to do it, and you've got time to devote to recovering before you start training for your triathlon, I'd say have fun. On the other hand, if you're someone who goes super-hard no matter what, the prudent thing would be to sleep in.

http://www.noahmwalton.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that runnersworld.com had a beginners 6 week plan on their website. If you are going to do the half marathon (I am sure your mind is made up wither way, try to do a 9-10 mile run a week out since the race is in two weeks, then the week before only run about 3 miles 3 times (mwf) then pace well from the start of the race. You might not go that fast, but if you have done 7 miles, can build up to 9 then you will probably be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents:

If you are pretty fit and have a decent training base, then I think that if you can comfortably run 7 (what I mean by comfortably is that you aren't beat at the end and have no soreness the next day), then you can get through 13.

To avoid injury, take it easy and consider doing some short walk breaks every 2-3 miles (15-30 seconds) during the half marathon run. If you do this without a longer build-up, do it for fun, not as a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Running a Half Marathon [nippycrisp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The previous two offered good advice. I've always felt that if you have to ask advice on whether or not to do it, you've probable already convinced yourself that you aren't ready mentally for it. i've done races on impulse and have come away with a satisfying experience everytime. Sometimes it hurt really bad & i was always out of my comfort zone. But that is what makes our sports fun. My first marathon in 1981 i ran right after the high school track season and had a long run of 10 miles. I only drank water (didn't know any better) and hit the wall hard, but i crossed the line and was proud of my time. My first tri i registered for was a 1/2IM. I didn't know how to swim, but this was a local event and i wanted to do a tri. I had 6 mos to figure it out and my very first tri was a sprint the week before the 1/2IM. Again, it was a learning experience, but i accomplished something i never thought i could. The next year i registered for and completed IM-Wisconsin. That is something i said i had never even thought of doing. The training was alot of fun and the race was memorable.

Depending on the weather - if its freezing and snowing i would stay in and have bacon & eggs. Otherwise, i would go for it. You'd probably have alot of fun if you don't set any unrealistic goals for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion is like most of what's already been said above. You can probably get through it, though it will be a bit of a slog. The most important thing though is to have the discipline to STOP mid race if the pain crosses into the pre-injury phase. The more familiar you get with your body as you do longer and longer stuff you'll start to recognize what is normal pain/aches, and what could be more serious. If you already have that comfort than great, if you aren't sure - hedge on the side of caution as injuries SUCK and can take a long time to come back from. But if you're thinking of doing a 1/2 IM this year you must be in decent enough shape already. My first running race ever was a marathon on a total lack of training. The last 6 miles was a test of sanity and will, but I was so thrilled after it was over. Go out there, have some fun, and keep track of what your body is telling you!
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Running a Half Marathon [thunderlegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did you run the seven mile long run?

Less than two weeks ago then sign up for the half and let your friend know you are going out at a 10 minute per mile pace or less.

If it was more than two weeks ago then I would probably not waste the money. You can fight your way through but it would be a struggle and not worth the money.

Which Half Marathon? If there are hills even better reason to skip it.

RD

Quote | Reply
You can do it-seriously, you need to treat it as a long training run.Set no goals, run to finish. You'll be fine, sore the next day, but fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're in decent shape you shouldn't have a problem.... at least IMO. Have you run a half before?

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike sez it best: "Just do it". Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Running a Half Marathon [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. I think I'm going to try to go for it and just listen to my body and not pushing it too hard. I'm not looking to set a good time, just to complete it and to experience it, and also as a preparation for the 1/2 IM that I signed up for this year.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply