Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Question for the Wongstar [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Haha

I love it!!!! people arguing with jonnyo haha, as if any of you could break 9 hours!!! when jonnyo talks,you should listen.

on a side note, Jocelyn, you are a serious hottie!!! keep kicking ass,

im excited to see jonnyo come back this year and kick even more ass than he already has, I see an IM win for him in the near future. The talent is there, 2x6 place at IMAZ, 1x2nd olace ad IMC. Jonnyo, go hard, you CAN WIN!!!!

Yeah cos Jonnyo wins races "you won the argument right there" David Brent - The Office...
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, dont talk trash about jonnyo, he WILL win an IM, you just watch.

your subtle trash talking is nothing to me, im like a slowtiwtch jedi....dawg.....
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [iwgu1030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Wongstar travel sponsor here...

Actually walking is tougher than running, generally because I only use a 1-inch heel orthotic inside my walking shoes. It's waay to difficult and expensive to get regular shoes built up.

It's absolutely true that the running shoe that Jocelyn built for me is a huge improvement; however, probably more important has been the block that goes on my cycling shoe.

Although my 5:53 time at IMAZ was a bit disappointing, I was hoping for closer to 5:30, it is absolutely clear that I wouldn't have gone as fast without the block, and my back would have been so messed up, the run would have been pretty much impossible, even though I was slowwww...

I'm trying to find a way now to mass produce the bike block in a way that it can be easily and cheaply resized. Since I started using it in Austin I have been contacted by 5 other cyclists who need more than the typical cycling shims can provide.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [iwjocelyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You did 6 Ironmans in 2009? Huge.

Quote | Reply
Hey Jocelyn,

On a slightly more serious note.

This running "drill" during bricks where you are holding "sticks" , could you possibly expand a bit on this please ?

I don't really have a clear picture and am presently stuck in the 4.20 IM run although standalone is 3.30.

I am fully aware that many other factors come into play here ...pacing , bike fitness , etc

Thanks in advance :)

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
um...it's not a drill, and not just during bricks. I just run with them all the time.

Really not sure how much I can expand on that. I don't think about anything special and that's probably a good thing because my coach says it is better not to think so much.

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

OK then, to get a better understanding of the purpose of these sticks.... since I don't drink alcohol when I run, can I just carry anything? Like a couple of gel packets or a small water bottle? Will I get the same result?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

your over thinking this...

see me post earlier...i explain the why of having stick in your hands...

jocelyn is a good solider, she execute what the coach says, as for me, i dont as much.,...i ask questions, well doc had the long conversation about those stick.... it s very simple...just dont over think it...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LIES! All LIES!

Not just any slender object will do. No no no!

You need my patented PowerStick, which I'm told increases running efficiency 300% in just 2 weeks of use. At least that's what I'm told. I mean, the test subject finished slower, but if the weather were good and he was feeling better he could *totally* go that much faster.

BUY POWERSTICKS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
um...it's not a drill, and not just during bricks. I just run with them all the time.

Really not sure how much I can expand on that. I don't think about anything special and that's probably a good thing because my coach says it is better not to think so much.

I think I didn't phrase my question accurately , apologies.

Are these just "any" sticks ? In the fashion of ski poles or hiking poles ?

How long are they ? Do they touch the ground ?

Or are they more "objects" per se that highlight awareness as to where your arms are whilst running ?

I had some relatively detailed running observation don durng 2003 which highlighted some advantages / disadvantages with my running form. All ( I think ) have been addressed , I hope.
At 43 , I am an average runner, standalones : 43 , 1.35 , 3.32. ( 10 , 21 , 42km ).

I am definitely keen to try something new especially if I have never heard of this method.

During 70.3's and IM , I always carry an oval Fuel-Belt bottle with concentrated NUUN , to diluute quickly at hydration stations. Of course this is only ONE bottle.
Would carrying two of these in training work as opposed to sticks.

Are there any further objectives carrying the "sticks" ie: minimising crossover , envisioning pushing elbows back , etc.

Thanks very much !

Terry

Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

your over thinking this...

see me post earlier...i explain the why of having stick in your hands...

jocelyn is a good solider, she execute what the coach says, as for me, i dont as much.,...i ask questions, well doc had the long conversation about those stick.... it s very simple...just dont over think it...

Ok ...to raise awareness of where your hands are , thanks.

I clarified my questions in response to Jocelyn's answer to my post.

Thanks very much :)

Terry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a related thread from a little while back:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing%20stick;#2393142

The sticks are short (~4-5 inches),and just give you something to hold while running. A similar effect can be achieved carrying keys or gels.
Water bottles might work, but they are a bit big and heavy.

The idea seems to be that by holding something in your hands, it makes you more conscious of what your hands and arms are doing while you run.

If you have no problem spending money, you can go out and buy things like this:

Or, what it sounds like iwjocelyn uses:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terry,

I use used Nuun tubes to carry my salt tablets during the marathon. I don't do this for any other reason than they are perfect to carry my salt tabs!

Irnbru

Made in Scotland frae Girders
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [ndenezzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah..........................!

In that case I am fine and good to go :)

I always carry a small water tight pack for keys , coins , ID and notes , in training.

Thanks very much , that cleared everything up nicely.

Terry

Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [IrnBru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Terry,

I use used Nuun tubes to carry my salt tablets during the marathon. I don't do this for any other reason than they are perfect to carry my salt tabs!

Irnbru

Dughall !

After that performance on the weekend , what else can you recommend ? Awesome execution , well done !

The tubes are perfect for many things and that is definitely one of them , good idea.

I will start that in training.

I was just not aware that holding something in both hands had that subconcious effect of highlighting arm movement and awareness. I don't think my running needs much "form" improvement , but speed would come in handy :)
Very , very slow at all 3 at the moment.

Oh well , base training is on :)

Terry

Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [ndenezzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, that's it. funny enough they come in two different sizes, the ones here in America are mostly the jumbo king size version (surprise surprise) and longer. I prefer the shorter ones which are about the size of the Nuun tubes.

I admit that sometimes when I misplace them I have used keys in one hand and anything else I can find...chapstick....nail polish.... :)

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waiting for the Superstar Wongstar Energy Drink! That way we can all be superstar like you!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ancient Chinese Secrets, huh?
I don't think the next thing is Super Wongstar Energy Drink... I think this is the other performance secret she is hiding....
You all know that she makes orthodics, right? Is she making (and wearing) this kind of orthodic?

http://www.underarmour.tv/...d%20Brochure.UA2.pdf
Last edited by: iwgu1030: Dec 7, 09 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I have both the Drinking and Non-Drinking Game version of the Magic Running Sticks, and the Drinking Game version is well worth the extra money.

I always fill my magic sticks with moonshine. I like to think that taking four shots of moonshine during a long run automatically qualifies me as a superstar. (But, of course, I understand that TRUE super-stardom can only be bestowed upon me by unanimous approval of an internet forum).

http://snappletriteam.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahaha! well the prosthetic & orthotic devices I make are all external...except if you break your neck and need a halo, you know, where the pins go slightly into your skull... and I leave the teeth stuff to the dental people...

but that does give me another fantastic idea, maybe some Wongstar toothpaste! and floss! (yes I brush and floss every day.) so you too can have a brilliant superstar smile! :D

energy drink hmm, if Starbucks takes me on I'll help develop an electrolyte-enhanced Frappuccino to go in the Camelbak.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Reply to iwjocelyn:
You need to change your Slowtwitch ID so that we can properly identify you.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there, is that better?

Wow I didn't realize you could even change your username. I've been officially on ST for over 4 years (I'm sure I was a lurker long before then) and thought I would have to open up a whole new account and then look like a total newbie. you learn something new on ST every day!

Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Wongstar [tyson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
LIES! All LIES!

Not just any slender object will do. No no no!

You need my patented PowerStick, which I'm told increases running efficiency 300% in just 2 weeks of use. At least that's what I'm told. I mean, the test subject finished slower, but if the weather were good and he was feeling better he could *totally* go that much faster.

BUY POWERSTICKS.

But is it compatible with the new Under Armar Power Mouthguard?
Quote Reply

Prev Next