Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Industry Insiders.
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I've become interested in the Oval Concepts R700TT aluminum aerobar. I learned that they will be available in the US very soon but only in the 42 cm wide version. Can anyone else verify if this is true? Acording to their website, they also make a 44cm version. It would be great if I could find the wider bars. I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

EZ

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Last edited by: E-Z: Jan 19, 03 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Industry Insiders. [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an industry "insider" (in the manufacturing sense) but I do own a triathlon bike store. My expereince is you can expect some normal delays in seeing some of this product. Be patient. It is worth it. It take stime for the smaller vendors to get the things they need from various suppliers to pull a product like this together correctly. Their estimates of delivery time are, through no ill intention of their own, often inaccurate. They can only tell us what someone else is telling them...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Industry Insiders. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply Tom. I really enjoy reading your contributions to this forum and your articles on the Bikesport website. I learned today from Morgan Nicol, the president of Oval concepts that their product catalog is incorrect.

Mistake #1: The aluminum aerobar is the A700 not R700TT as stated in the catalog and on their website. The carbon bar is the A900.

Mistake #2: The catalog shows that they are available in 40, 42, and 44cm wide versions. They will only be offering them in the 42cm width. Their reasoning is that the rider should be in the aero position most of the time and should only be on the ends/brakes when a greater amount of maneuverability/control is required. Bar end width should not make as much of a difference when used this way. They will consider offering the A700 in the 40 and 44cm widths next season. But they would have "tooling" issues to overcome first.

Now that I think about it. I always try to maximize my time in the aero position. So, their explanation makes sense to me.

When I was in high school and in college, I used to work after school for a competition Go-kart chassis fabrication company. I've even built a few myself. I don't know how Oval manufactures their aero bars, but IMHO I don't think it would be a very radical change to make some adjustable "jig" that's capaple of accepting any width airfoil shaped tubes needed to make their aluminum bars. As for the carbon bars... I won't comment. I know very little about working with carbon fiber.

Tom, you're absolutely right. I should be patient. And not just when it comes to aerobars. I got a speeding ticket last summer while on my bike. I have a copy of it around here somewhere. Smile Oddly enough I have yet to get one while driving a car.

I'm an excelent driver! Crazy

Thanks again for your input,

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply