Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Gerard re: 2.5 carbon frame
Quote | Reply
The group of people with which I ride and race have gotten "new bike fever" (of which I may be the most affected by this indolent condition). We are currently looking at the new cervelo carbon bike as well as a couple of other carbon bikes. My question regarding the cervelo frame is this. Is there a weight limit on the frame? The reason I ask is that one of the guys is an ex linebacker (230 pounds, about 6-7% body fat) who in the course of the last two months has stripped the pedals out of an ultegra crank while riding, broken 3 wheels, broken a chain and has snapped the steerer tube on a softride rocketwing (to cervelo's credit he has not managed to do any damage to his P3 race bike). Do you think he would be okay on this frame or should he look for something else? (like a bike made out of an oak tree :)

Thanks in advance

Lance Faler

Quote | Reply
The 2.5 has to be a pretty tough frame as evidenced by the EFBE tests. But your friend is pushing the limits of what a bike can do. Even if it is okay from a durability standpoint it may be too small or too flexible. If I were him, I would think about a custom frame. Assuming your friend is relatively tall, Lennard Zinn is pretty good at making custom frames for tall guys.

For a tubeset, I would look at something heavy. Old Columbus Max steel, or oversized steel or aluminum mountain bike tubing. At 230 lbs, your friend shouldn't be worried about what his bike weighs.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Gerard re: 2.5 carbon frame [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is about the same height as me (6'1") . I have tried to convince him he needs to ride 36 spoke wheels, but haven't had any luck yet. He pops the spokes on bontrager wheels like spaghetti. His weight is not so much the problem as his strength (His max number of reps with 225 pounds is 46). He doesn't work out with weights quite as heavily, but squatted 700+ just a couple of years ago. He is also scary fast for his size. I was riding behind him when he literally ripped a speedplay pedal out of an ultegra crank.

As to the question of the cervelo frame, I know some bike manufacturers put weight limits on their frames and won't warranty them if you weigh more than their allowable limit. (Santa Cruz MTB's come to mind). Don't know if this is the case with cervelo or not and that is one reason I posed the question. Although he tears up components quite regularly, I have never known him to break a frame...yet.

Quote | Reply
Lance:

There will be no problem for your friend on an R2.5. Both the durability and stiffness of the R2.5 will be more than up to the task. As for the wheels, paired spoking may not be the ideal solution for him, maybe a Zipp clydesdale would be a good option (but better talk to Zipp directly about that).

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Gerard re: 2.5 carbon frame [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gerard. I will pass the word on to him. I have another question and you can email me the answer to this one if you don't want to post on an open forum. There are 4 of us right now (and possibly a fifth) who are going to be getting new bikes and the r2.5 is what we are planning on getting at this point. There is not a LBS here that carries Cervelo and I was wondering if you have any recommendations on dealers (especially their ability to fit a bike correctly ) in the surrounding area. I live in south Mississippi about 1.5 hours from New Orleans, 1.5 hours from Mobile, Alabama, 5 hours from Memphis and about 6 hours from Atlanta.

Thanks
Lance Faler
mskrad@bellsout.net

Quote | Reply
Doc:

Check out Steve Sperier at The Spokesman, in Mandeville, LA (On the North Shore of L. Pontch). I don't have a number, but he's FIST certified and carries Cervelo. Quality guy, quality shop, relatively close to you.

Good luck..T

"The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows."
Quote Reply