Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about the new wetsuit coming out
Quote | Reply
What with a couple of the new wetsuits coming out in 04. They say they have metal woven into the material. I think Aquaman has one called the metal cell, QR superfull states it has metal in also and the new Orca also. My question is what the benefit of this or is it more a marketing thing to get people to buy. I'm asking because I need a new wetsuit. I had a QR superfull 02 model that was stolen at the beach, I really like the suit. Just looking for ideals thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Question about the new wetsuit coming out [ajmilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They say they have metal woven into the material."

This has actually been out on the scuba diving market for a few years now. I have a Henderson Gold scuba suit that uses this concept. The scuba people claim that the metal weave makes the suit a bit warmer and a easier to take off/on. From my scuba experience I'd agree with Henderson's claims. I'm sure this would also apply to a tri suit, but it wouldn't make the suit any faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not really metal. That's just the name of the rubber. It has a "metalized" finish in some colors and styles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One reason they add metal to neoprene was for reflective warmth... a problem that is not common for triathletes. Another reason is for color.

So, the reason "metal" (and I use that term very loosely) is being added is so that it reduces drag. I have a 3 plus year old Piel made from that material (I believe it's called SCS coating) and I wouldn't say there is an appreciable and noticeable difference in reducing drag.

Now, if the producers of wetsuits want to do something new.. (I believe DeSoto alluded to doing something radically new with the T1 about a year ago - but, no one seems to know what that is... including me), they would be making a wetsuit of the 3-DIS material.

Basicly, (as best I can tell) it is a neoprene that doesn't feel tight. And yet, it still holds it's bouyance without compression. It uses an iron polymer ("metal?"). I am not sure, but that is probably not what was meant by your original post when you mentioned wetsuit material with "metal". On the otherhand, it could be... in which case, if they used 3-DIS, they would be using a NEW MATERIAL for wetsuits.

FWIW Joe Moya
Last edited by: Joe M: Nov 16, 03 18:30
Quote Reply
Re: Question about the new wetsuit coming out [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think DeSoto was trying to put some sort of waterproof coating on the inside of the suit that would repel water. The theory being that the less water the suit absorbed the faster it would be. I believe that they decided that there was almost no actual benefit (once they tested it) and that they couldn't make the new suit economicly feasible.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Question about the new wetsuit coming out [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So, the reason "metal" (and I use that term very loosely) is being added is so that it reduces drag"

On the scuba suits, this "metal" is on the inside of the suit. I've assumed that it would also be on the tri suits. Therefore it would have no effect on drag.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about the new wetsuit coming out [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Yamamoto "SCS Metal" is on the outside of the suit. Check out http://www.yamamoto.demon.co.uk/uk-products1.htm.

I'm still not sure exactly what improvement it represents over the older version of SCS-coated rubber.