Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about mixing 10 speed/11 speed
Quote | Reply
So my shimano ultegra RD6700 10 speed derailleur bit the dust this morning.

I'm running a 2013 10 speed cervelo P2 but have been having trouble finding 10 speed rear derailleurs. I understand most bikes have transitioned to 11 speed.

Can I replace my 10 speed RD with an 11 speed RD and still have good shifting with the 10 speed shifters. I really don't want to replace the entire groupset if I can help it.

Also, I'm running the 50/34 and 11/28. Will a short cage RD be ok?

Thanks for the help with these beginner questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about mixing 10 speed/11 speed [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, unless you want to switch your current shifters into 'friction' mode (assuming they still make them with that capability).
Grab a 105 11 speed rd, and a set of shimano 11 speed tt shifters.
Oh, of course then you'll need 11 speed wheels.... :)

Your best bet is to go on ebay and just grab another 10 speed rd, tons of them on there!
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jun 2, 18 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
So my shimano ultegra RD6700 10 speed derailleur bit the dust this morning.

I'm running a 2013 10 speed cervelo P2 but have been having trouble finding 10 speed rear derailleurs. I understand most bikes have transitioned to 11 speed.

Can I replace my 10 speed RD with an 11 speed RD and still have good shifting with the 10 speed shifters. I really don't want to replace the entire groupset if I can help it.

Also, I'm running the 50/34 and 11/28. Will a short cage RD be ok?

Thanks for the help with these beginner questions.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/shimano-ultegra-ice-grey-rd-6700-ss-rear-derailleur-50-8463

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/shimano-ultegra-double-rd-6700-10s/135996726/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=2685355&country=us&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgMnYBRDRARIsANC2dfmAs2n2pMv4nHCgUojb4SaLDSzAf_kVVSb9w8JeoRsBgGN1NYaLX8YaAhEvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

28 cassette will work great with either of these. That's exactly what I run.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about mixing 10 speed/11 speed [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
No, unless you want to switch your current shifters into 'friction' mode (assuming they still make them with that capability).

Your best bet is to go on ebay and just grab another 10 speed rd, tons of them on there!

I agree with your recommendation, but not with your explanation. I´m pretty sure the 11 speed rd works with 10 speed cassettes and shifters. The 10-speed shifters pull slightly more wire which moves the rd slightly more for every "click".
Quote Reply
Re: Question about mixing 10 speed/11 speed [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the pull ratio was changed with 11s.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Question about mixing 10 speed/11 speed [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

I agree with your recommendation, but not with your explanation. I´m pretty sure the 11 speed rd works with 10 speed cassettes and shifters. The 10-speed shifters pull slightly more wire which moves the rd slightly more for every "click".

The problem you are not realizing is that the rear derilleurs themselves have a different movement ratio between 10 speed and 11 speed......different geometry in in parallelogram if you will...or the angle that the cable pulls on it from, or something like that..

Its possible you might be able to fudge it and get it working 'OK', but on paper it is not supposed to work..

This page has an in depth writeup of how it all works...

http://blog.artscyclery.com/...train-compatibility/
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jun 2, 18 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Can I replace my 10 speed RD with an 11 speed RD and still have good shifting with the 10 speed shifters.

NO!!! 11 speed Shimano derailleurs have a different geometry than the 9 and 10 spd ones (which were identical to each other). So you need a 9 or 10 speed derailleur. 105, Ultegra, or Dura Ace, all the same.

I have some Dura Ace derailleurs (2 9spd and 1 10spd) I'm not using, if you are interested.

Short cage should work fine for 28t and 50/34, though that is the limit.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about mixing 10 speed/11 speed [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice.

I didn't even think about Performance Bike, I have a coupon code so I am going to pick up that 6700 from them for a little more than the 105 I got off Amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call, it's the cable pull ratio that matters... Shimano 10 vs 11 is different, but SRAM 10 vs 11 is the same... I have a SRAM 1x Rival Clutch RD paired with a 10 speed TT shifter, works fine. Same RD is 11 Speed capable...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i can sell you a lightly used ultegra 10sp RD cheap - pm me if interested.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Question about mixing 10 speed/11 speed [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
fb wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

The problem you are not realizing is that the rear derilleurs themselves have a different movement ratio between 10 speed and 11 speed......different geometry in in parallelogram if you will...or the angle that the cable pulls on it from, or something like that..

Its possible you might be able to fudge it and get it working 'OK', but on paper it is not supposed to work..

This page has an in depth writeup of how it all works...

http://blog.artscyclery.com/...train-compatibility/

Thanks! I went di2 for 11 speed, so I guess I´m a bit out of the loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so, this falls into the "learn something new everyday" -- i had thought, and may now be mistaken, that the "shift" was in the shifter, NOT the RD (or fd) and the SHIFTER moves the amount, not the RD .. btw, it does work IRL, even if not supposed to work on paper -- i've had 5800 and 6800 RD on 10 speeds with zero trouble .. repeat, zero -- i THOUGHT the RD had a range of movement (high and low) that are defined by the limit screws, and the shifter does all the work ... again, i could be totally wrong (and expect to get flamed) but it's worked just fine, on 4 bikes, for me ...

though, I will keep it in mind next time i have the chain off the 10 speeds
Quote Reply