Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about bike decals
Quote | Reply
I bought a Specialized Epic Hardtail mountain bike back in June, matte black with florescent green decals. I love the matte black finish but I'm not a big fan of the green decals. Has anyone had new decals made to cover the existing ones? Frame material is carbon so I'm not sure I want to try and remove them.
Last edited by: caffer: Oct 14, 20 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: Question about bike decals [caffer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can easily remove the decals with sandpaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about bike decals [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but the thought of that kind of freaks me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had custom decals made for a number of bikes and they have all looked great, plenty of places you can get them (speedydecal, stikrd etc), PM me if you have questions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone here please correct me if I am wrong, but I've removed decals from my Zipp carbon wheels with my fingernail and heat from a blowdrier. Then I used mineral spirits to remove the glue residue. I would think that the same method would work for a frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about bike decals [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimike77 wrote:
Someone here please correct me if I am wrong, but I've removed decals from my Zipp carbon wheels with my fingernail and heat from a blowdrier. Then I used mineral spirits to remove the glue residue. I would think that the same method would work for a frame.

Zipp decals are regular decals over the carbon. OP mentioning decals on a Specialized bike. Those decals are UNDER a clear coat. And Specialized makes sure they can not be removed.
He's got 3 options:
1) Learn to live with it
2) Do the suggestion of sandpapering (But please post an after picture!!!)
3) Get new decals precision cut so they will cover the existing ones.

I can assure you 100% option 2 and 3 make it even worse than what it is now and possibly force you to sell the bike below it's worth. Then you can buy the Specialized bike you like with the decals you like.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about bike decals [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why would number 3 reduce the value of the bike? you can just peel them off whenever you want. any soccer mom with a cricut can make you replacements that would cover the existing ones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned that the bike is matte black. First thing I'd do is confirm that the decals are, in fact, under a clear coat. It's possible that Specialized used a matte clear, but it's also possible that on that frame the decals are just adhered on top of the finish. If they're under a matte clear I agree that any attempt to remove them will make things infinitely worse. If they're not under a clear coat, you can remove them with heat from a hair dryer and some Goo Gone. Avoid using solvents like acetone or mineral spirits. There's just no need for anything that harsh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all very much for the responses. I checked last night and there is definitely some kind of clear coat over top of the decals.

I might look into getting some graphics made to cover the current logos but, the more I investigate this, the more I think the green not so bad. I'll probably just leave it.

Curious, how would covering them with new decals affect the resale of the bike?

I'm off to shop for florescent green components..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Curious, how would covering them with new decals affect the resale of the bike?"

It wouldn't.
Quote Reply