Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about a Felt IA Advanced rim brake 105
Quote | Reply
If I was looking for a Felt IA Advanced like this bike:
https://www.racycles.com/...brake-105-bike-19066

Could I use a different stem on it? I'd probably dump the aerobars to and go to something lower as well.

Mainly cuz I'm looking for a 700C bike, I'm pretty sure I can find one locally but the pad stack is 40mm too high for me.

I had questions on the Quintana Roo PR6 as well but they've gone unanswered since early/mid-May in the Quintana Roo Fit thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a Felt IA Advanced rim brake 105 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a TriRig sigma and then the alpha on this configuration and it worked well.

Great bike for the price, but you may want to shop for a frame if you are changing cockpit, that is how I landed one.

Last edited by: ktm520: Jul 2, 20 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a Felt IA Advanced rim brake 105 [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok that's great to know. It's hard to find a small bike.
Currently looking at:
Felt IA Advanced 48
Orbea Ordu M20 48
Quintana roo PR6 48

Any other ideas would help.
Pad x 395 (to back)
Pad y 510
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the issue with changing the stem, is that the steerer tube is cut to smaller than a typical stem can fit, limiting your options.

There are a few mountain bike stems out there, the above shown tririg stem, as well as a stem that felt put out.

The felt dagger stem WAS designed for the IAx series eg the IA1 IA2 etc. with the integrated brake on it, so it has the ability to route cables through the stem, and has the opening and mounting spot for the integrated brake cover on it.

I got this one for my IA10 in order to get a TOUCH lower and longer on the front end to get my fit just right.

It doesn't come cheap, but there are few options.

https://feltbicycles.com/...arts-bike-spare-part

Also as said above, consider getting a frame instead if you're already looking at a different cockpit, it's the route I went.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a Felt IA Advanced rim brake 105 [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again.

So is the steerer tube not 1 1/8? or is the area around it not able to accommodate a different stem?

I would likely be looking at an FSA slk drop stem to get to -20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the diameter of the steerer tube, it's the height of it.

It's pre-cut to the minimum height needed for their integrated stem.

The dagger is 110mm and -17, not quite -20.

Here you can see the sigma stem on the felt ia10 ( all of the felt IA series I am aware of have this steerer tube height issue ) which shows just how short the steerer tube is, and why most stems are going to be too "tall" to fit on it.

https://www.tririg.com/...lpha_X_Compatibility

Also, their initial review which comments on it as well:

https://www.tririg.com/...10_Review&page=2

It's really the only downside I've found with this bike.
Last edited by: dfquigley: Jul 2, 20 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, Thanks I understand, the pictures help a lot.

Fortunately I cut every steerer tube down that far anyway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd just make sure you're hitting the minimum steerer tube clamping area for your stem before buying and installing your desired stem, as my bike fitter and I had a very hard time finding any other stem that would work.

Syntace flatforce were on the list as well as a stem with a shorter clamping area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, thanks. The FSA stem I mentioned looks like the same stem only with a different brand name.

You've really been helpful.

I don't know why it's so hard to find a small bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you, these felts are great stable fast machines, but could have better potential to get the front end low.

While I was able to get myself low enough on mine, it took a combination of getting the dagger stem that had lower stack, and then swapping the aerobar to get the optimal drop in stack for the pads.

I ended up with the original felt bayonet bars, don't think they're selling them anymore now either.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually have a set of aluminum bars like that. :)
They came on my DA

Seeing how low you got it I'm a lot more confident in purchasing.

I've seen a few 2019 IA10 framesets going on Ebay that i like.
Going to have to put together a budget
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect, yeah I think they're the exact same ones that came stock on the DA, though you could get aluminum or carbon, I saved cash and went with aluminum :p

Saves having to track down something similar!

I think mine was a 2016 IA10 frame, same shape, super fast. Be sure to get the tririg brake, I remember reading somewhere that the IA10 with the tririg brake apparently tested faster than the integrated version of the bike? Either way, it's a fast brake for the front :p

Glad to have helped you gain confidence in your purchase!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh and if you get the 2016 like mine, make sure to upgrade to the calpac 2.0 bento rather than the abomination that came stock on these earlier ones, haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
I hear you, these felts are great stable fast machines, but could have better potential to get the front end low.

While I was able to get myself low enough on mine, it took a combination of getting the dagger stem that had lower stack, and then swapping the aerobar to get the optimal drop in stack for the pads.

I ended up with the original felt bayonet bars, don't think they're selling them anymore now either.

I need some help finding a front brake that will work on this bike. Could you (or anyone) measure the distance from the mounting point to the cable mount on the tri-rig brake? I looked on their site and was unable to find dimensions.

This one is too close to the stem, I may even start looking for a side pull brake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am understanding you right, I measured from the center of the mounting screw, vertically along the brake to the very top of the plastic mounting clip for the brake cable as it seems to get really close to the bottom of your cockpit.

Measurement I got was 45/46 mm or 1 7/8 inches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much :)
Quote Reply