Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's
Quote | Reply
Do the early Vittoria Pista and Crono tubular tires from the 80's have latex inner tube? I know the later ones do. Would hate to cut one open just to find out.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Do the early Vittoria Pista and Crono tubular tires from the 80's have latex inner tube? I know the later ones do. Would hate to cut one open just to find out.

No idea. But you could pump it up and see if it partially deflates overnight.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m going with yes, but it was a long time ago that the teenage me was, on occasions, cutting open tubulars to repair a puncture before rest itching them, so I’m willing to be proven wrong!
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pumped up my Pista CS (180g) to 140 psi to pre-stretch it on my spare rim, and it's still very hard after a couple of days. It's hard to imagine that this track tire contains a butyl inner tube. Looks like I will need to get another one and cut it open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't use tires that old...both natural and synthetic rubbers decompose with age. Same with cotton. Not sure about silk.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh contraire mon frere.... they are finally perfectly aged, and have become the fastest rolling tires in the world by 20-30 watts. Every real roadie knows this to be true.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
oh contraire mon frere.... they are finally perfectly aged, and have become the fastest rolling tires in the world by 20-30 watts. Every real roadie knows this to be true.

Every real roadie over the age of 60 with a steel track frame as meticulously maintained as their salt-and-pepper beard who also posts angrily on all the disc brake threads. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cut open one of my Pista CL's and was very happy to see the thin tan latex inner tube. The tire is still in excellent condition with great sidewall and rubber. No cracks or decomposition. I will use it for short, special TT's.

Last edited by: RichardL: Jan 30, 23 20:09
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

That's funny stuff right there! You know the Keb Mo song, "I remember you"? Not in RVA anymore, but I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
I cut open one of my Pista CL's and was very happy to see the thin tan latex inner tube. The tire is still in excellent condition with great sidewall and rubber. No cracks or decomposition. I will use it for short, special TT's.

when it'll be worn out, only options to replace it would be either vittoria junior or conti sprinter
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
when it'll be worn out, only options to replace it would be either vittoria junior or conti sprinter
I will never resort to those two slow alternatives as I still have several Pista CS's and Pista CL's left in my stash. Will go with the Corsa CX III if worst comes to worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad you still have those. which rims do you use? wolber?
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Vittoria tubular tires from the 1980's [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
glad you still have those. which rims do you use? wolber?

These 26" tubular tires fit my 650c rims perfectly, so for Vittoria, 26" = 650c. I'm using these tires on either Zipp 404 or HED 3 Tri-Spoke 650c wheels. Doing mostly 20 km and 40 km ITT's on good roads.
Quote Reply