Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Quarq
Quote | Reply
So over the past 5 years I have had 8 power meters; up till now all have been covered with warranty. This time I was given 20% a new one since mine was 8 months out of warranty. Common issue?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like you've had 8 replaced under warranty? If so, that is a major red flag. A 2yr warranty is pretty generous as is, 8 months is considerably past that window
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe 6, it’s been so many lost count. One was replaced 3 x in 2 months. 8 months past warranty then should be consider normal for failure. I know some people have had such good luck with these.

Well my warranty replacement will be up for sale soon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two Power2Max, the classic and now an NG. Never had one issue with any of them in 5 years. They just freaking work.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three Quarq PMs; no problem with any of them. I had Quarq on my gravel bike, but installed them on my road and TT when I became frustrated with my Vector 3s. Now there is a painful set of stories...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1, I bought one second hand in 2011 or 2012 and I'm still using it today.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [BigHammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My quarq just died, it was a replacement for a unit that was partially DOA on arrival (worked but had dropout issues all the time) and now just waiting for quarq to reply to my email.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mixed for me. I had one from 2012 which died very soon after I got it, then again a fortnight later after repair. That was replaced and is still in use today.

My second one started misreading badly after a couple of weeks when the bike threw a chain. Spider replaced and been fine for last 18 months.

Third one has been perfect for a year.

I guess that it's a personal choice situation, but for me then I have confidence that once through the initial stages then they will be reliable. I wouldn't look to buy a new one a month ahead of a key race. But I've bought 3, and will probably buy more in future as when I have needed service they have been exceptional. And that to me is what counts, how someone responds when things aren't going well. As no-one is perfect, there's always going to be a time you need help, so that's why I'll stick with Quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have 5 quarq PM's in the fleet at the moment for the last 4 years. I had one die last fall at the start of CX season, like yours it was 4mo outside warranty, I had to buy a new spider to get it working for my CX races but that's the only issue we've had so far. I know they can't last forever but maybe their purchase of Powertap will give them help reliability wise. Had a Powertab hub that was 6+ years old and still 100% when I sold it.
Last edited by: SiRcivic27: Jul 22, 19 19:06
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was always happy with them till they broke. Guess I did not mind as much when it was warranted and I got a free one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Maybe 6, it’s been so many lost count. One was replaced 3 x in 2 months. 8 months past warranty then should be consider normal for failure. I know some people have had such good luck with these.

Well my warranty replacement will be up for sale soon.

What issues did you have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear the bad luck. I suppose I feel very fortunate. Of the 3 Quarqs I have owned it was a S975 failed after owning it several years and I suspect its death came after riding through a deep pool of water. The other 2 Quarq is an ELSA that I bought in 2014 and it is on a dedicated trainer bike used several days a week since 2014. The other is a Riken bought in 2015 (currently on my Felt IA) as a replacement to the damaged S975. The Riken has been through all sorts of seasons and conditions.

I once vowed to never own another Powertap hub after several failed in the same way and just weeks after the end of warranty. However, When PT did a huge price drop I jumped on one despite my vow to never get another. I have a PT G3 hub on my road bike and I am not even sure how old it is (maybe 2011?) or how many miles it has seen by this point.

But I know I have seen others that have had the same issues that you have had. I hope your luck changes with the power meters.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a funny thing I had a “stages” gen 1 that lasted 6 years and no issues and stable power numbers. This was my last straw with quarq; if they had given me 50% off rather then 20% I might have stuck with them longer; I don’t think paying 500 bucks every 2 + years to have a PM fixed is substantial for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Here is a funny thing I had a “stages” gen 1 that lasted 6 years and no issues and stable power numbers. This was my last straw with quarq; if they had given me 50% off rather then 20% I might have stuck with them longer; I don’t think paying 500 bucks every 2 + years to have a PM fixed is substantial for me.

Don't blame you at all and as mentioned I was about at that point with Powertap long ago. Have you considered SRM?
I have but I don't plan on ever competing so I am not sure about spending more. I do like nice reliable things though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode Quarqs for about 6 years, and had to get them warranty replaced annually, nearly like clockwork. But they were always replaced under full warranty without question, even for ones purchased second-hand. So the only downside was being without a power meter on each bike for about one week per year.

I've since moved to P2M and Stages (2 each), and have had 100% reliability for both. (in about 2 years of use).
Last edited by: trail: Jul 23, 19 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
So over the past 5 years I have had 8 power meters; up till now all have been covered with warranty. This time I was given 20% a new one since mine was 8 months out of warranty. Common issue?

Yes. I had nothing but issues with mine and they reported cadence inaccurately.

Plenty of other options. My gold standard is SRM.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an aluminum RIKEN from about 2013 that has never had anything done to it except battery replacement. It is on my TT bike that doesn't see the ride time it used to get, but for 5 years it was getting about 5000 miles a year put on it in all kinds of weather and racing conditions.

I also have a C1 that was installed in 2017 on my Roubaix that is averaging about 8000 miles a year of very hard use (of the bike) and not a whimper out of it either.

Both were installed by the shop, not me, and both are kept clean as much as possible. I can understand the occasional problem, but annually seems to indicate an end user issue.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 2 fail out of the box last year both installed by LBS. Ie not user issue. I have had 2 fail at just just over or under 2 years right before Kona each time. Yes I ride my bike yes my bike gets dirty, yes I wipe down and clean my bike after 7/10 rides, guess I just would expect better. I have also had issues with bad power readings after flying to races... and yes I calibrate before every ride.

Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
but annually seems to indicate an end user issue.

Possibly, though not sure what.

That's why I like P2M - no end user issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

Don't blame you at all and as mentioned I was about at that point with Powertap long ago. Have you considered SRM?
I have but I don't plan on ever competing so I am not sure about spending more. I do like nice reliable things though.

Yep I have 3 on bikes right now with SRM. Would have kept using the Quarq on a 4th bike but just to many issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how long does it usually take to get a reply from Quarq? I emailed them Friday morning and I still haven’t heard from them. The last time I had an issue was during their Christmas break and didn’t hear anything until Jan 8th. I assumed the lengthy delay was due to the back log they had but I figured they’d be quicker to get back to people during non holiday times.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq [Tifosi01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually call them if I have to. They generally pick up the phone.

I got an old 975 on clearance in early 2013. It started going wonky in late 2016. Fortunately, it was right when the dZero was launched, and I got a 35% discount on it. So far it's been great, but if it shits the bed again I'm probably going P2M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tifosi01 wrote:
So how long does it usually take to get a reply from Quarq? I emailed them Friday morning and I still haven’t heard from them. The last time I had an issue was during their Christmas break and didn’t hear anything until Jan 8th. I assumed the lengthy delay was due to the back log they had but I figured they’d be quicker to get back to people during non holiday times.

My 6-7 warranties they were always extremely quick. Best customer service experiences I've had. Only downside was needing them in the first place. You might have just run into their winter hibernation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Yep I have 3 on bikes right now with SRM.

Nice! The Dr came around! All Origins? did you go with a PC8 as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much quicker to call. I don't even remember hearing an automated menu - literally the guy who answered the phone was the one to help me troubleshoot and then arrange the service tag.

Tifosi01 wrote:
So how long does it usually take to get a reply from Quarq? I emailed them...
Quote Reply

Prev Next