Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch!
Quote | Reply
Since diving into this sport 3 years ago, I've had a dream of qualifying for the 70.3 World Championships and that dream became a reality 2 weeks ago at Lake Placid 70.3. During those 3 years I've used ST as a marketplace to find a tri bike, my lunch hour amusement, and most importantly, my encyclopedia for all things tri related. The education and feedback that I received in this post last year was the cornerstone of the training that propelled me to qualification. Additionally, this info about BarryP running has helped me to avoid injury by overdoing the run training.

For those with dreams of qualifying, it's possible. You just have to listen and put in the work (and probably have some decent genes). Though I'm sure I could've benefited from coaching, I did all of my training without one and relied on my own knowledge and the wisdom of ST to get me through. I should also mention that I used Trainerroad, which led to huge improvements on the bike, so I guess I technically received some coaching. Anyway, thanks everyone for knowledge and encouragement, I couldn't have done it without you ST.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [splatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome to hear and congratulations! Nice looks like it's going to be amazing. enjoy!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go on lad! Smash it out of the park!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work. Curious to hear - was there a particular TR plan you felt helped the most?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats man!! After re-reading that thread you've got to tell us what your splits were to qualify! Also let us know how much you ended up swimming in training.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Interestingly, my overall time was another 4:50, but still good enough for23rd overall, 2nd in my AG and just 3 minutes behind first. My swim was 32 minutes, so a PB by about 2.5 minutes. My bike time was 2:35, good enough for 25th OA and 4th AG. And my run time was 1:33, 23rd OA and 2nd AG. Lake Placid is a tough course and it didn’t help that it was 33 degrees at the start of the race!

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I followed the half distance low volume bike plan (swim and run were in my own) and it absolutely transformed my cycling. In the 3 smaller (200ish racers) multi sport races I raced this season, I had the best bike split in each race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
splatt wrote:
I followed the half distance low volume bike plan (swim and run were in my own) and it absolutely transformed my cycling. In the 3 smaller (200ish racers) multi sport races I raced this season, I had the best bike split in each race.

I appreciate this feedback. I know I have a lot to gain on the bike, and I know that structured training is going to help get me there, but that's a hell of a motivator.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely structured training is the way to go. In previous years I actually put in more time on the bike, just not the structure and intensity that Trainerroad provides. Also, my swim training didn’t include any easy days. Every swim included at least 1000yds of higher intensity intervals; usually 100s above race pace. Total training volume only exceeded 10 hours on a handful of weeks, so every day had some sort of intensity on the bike or swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really nice work!!! I read the "original post" you linked to, great advice there. I was at IMLP 70.3 too (yes it was chilly). It was my first tri ever. With no background in any of the disciplines and just a year of training and turning 49 next month and riding on a 20 yr old Lemond Im happy with my 7 hr finish but hope to improve for next year. Your posts are a real motivator and source of great info. BTW I signed up for TR last Feb and also did the low volume half program and felt it helped me tremendously.

Again congrats, awesome job!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats! I was a IMLP 70.3 as well, which AG are you in?
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:

Is there an age group for slow? :) I was in the 45-49 as Im turning 49 in Oct. I did love the experience and the course and I felt good , for my first tri ever I felt ok when I finished and was just sore for a couple of days.

How did you do? and congrats to you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
JTNY wrote:

Is there an age group for slow? :) I was in the 45-49 as Im turning 49 in Oct. I did love the experience and the course and I felt good , for my first tri ever I felt ok when I finished and was just sore for a couple of days.

Wow first tri? awesome!

I'm in the 35-39 AG and am a MOP guy, I finished in 6:38 . I have a 2 yo kid and training is almost non-existant. I get maybe 10 hrs training a month? I had done IM Canada 70.3 a month before so i was still somewhat fit before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
were the slots for Nice gobbled up fairly quickly?

Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
were the slots for Nice gobbled up fairly quickly?

Yeah, there was only one slot that rolled down (women's 65-69 maybe?) and it rolled to the 40-44 male AG. All slots were taken. Nice looks like a beautiful spot to race and vacation. Looking forward to my first trip to Europe!

For those of you that fly to races- any advice on bike transport abroad? Buy a bike box, tri-bike transport, ship via FedEx??

Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:
DimaP wrote:
JTNY wrote:

Wow first tri? awesome!

I'm in the 35-39 AG and am a MOP guy, I finished in 6:38 . I have a 2 yo kid and training is almost non-existant. I get maybe 10 hrs training a month? I had done IM Canada 70.3 a month before so i was still somewhat fit before the race.

10 hrs a month wow! I hear you I have a 7 and 9 yr old and commute almost 3 hrs a day plus the time at work itself!! Is IM Canada 70.3 Mont Tremblant? Im signed up for that for 2019
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

10 hrs a month wow! I hear you I have a 7 and 9 yr old and commute almost 3 hrs a day plus the time at work itself!! Is IM Canada 70.3 Mont Tremblant? Im signed up for that for 2019[/quote]
Nope IM Canada is in Whistler British Columbia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it both ways and would say if you don't already have a case, do TBT. It's expensive, but not prohibitively when you factor in either shipping costs (if you box it up) or luggage fees from the airline if you bring it with you. The only other downside is that since the race is in Nice and I'm assuming you are in NA, you will likely have to drop off your bike to TBT 3-4 weeks in advance of the race. If you have another bike then this is not really a huge issue.

Last edited by: Callin': Sep 20, 18 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

Last years thread was a nice read.

I am in a similar situation with a 4:56 HIM. I also followed and will follow the Low Volume HIM TR plan. Furhter I plan on giving the BarryP method a try after reading so many positive things about it.

May I ask what your average and maximum running mileage was?
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified for 70.3 Worlds- Thanks Slowtwitch! [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I tend to be injury prone when it comes to the run so I was forced to keep the mileage low. My average run mileage was about 25 miles per week with maximum getting up to 30-35 for a few weeks prior to peak fitness. That consisted of 4 or 5 days per week of 4 miles per day and then a long run of varying lengths depending on what I’d worked up to. I learned this year that it’s better to back off than be forced to take time off...not rocket science I know but hard to internalize.

Quote Reply