If i am on a 53/39 which Qring would be appropriate
Quote Reply
Re: Qring [GZMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a 53/39...??
Quote Reply
Re: Qring [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the 53/39 qring is a 56 at its large point. Not sure how that would feel thats why i am asking, your wanting sarcasm is boring
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was no sarcasm in that response...I’m giving you a honest advice based on my experience. Ive used the same size for Q and no Q.

The 53/39 should give you, theoretically, a range of something like 55/51 in the big ring and 41/37 in the small or whatever it is. Do you need more than that? If you don’t like the advice, don’t take it.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 16, 19 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GZMAN wrote:
I think the 53/39 qring is a 56 at its large point.

But that’s kind of the point, no? It’s bigger where you are strongest, and smaller (50) where you’re weakest.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GZMAN wrote:
If i am on a 53/39 which Qring would be appropriate

I use qrings probably would not go smaller as yes the bigger part is like a 54 or 55 but the smaller part is smaller so it averages out, feels marginally bigger overall but I'd guess u might feel like a mouse in one of those spinning wheels with a 52/36.

your experience might vary. The bigger question is whether to go with the normal oval q or the XL which is more extreme. According to Dylan Johnson's piece on oval rings the more extreme ones deliver benefits the less extreme ones don't. Not what I found though since I am a mid level mop at best and a masher. Presume u know that qrings have a more fiddly aspect for the fd.

the aldhu direct mount is the one u want imho.

I found it took a couple of rides to adapt a bit but feels better for me, maybe completely in my head, who knows.
Last edited by: Kipstar: Nov 16, 19 19:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding Kipstar's post on deciding between q and qxl rings is that the options are more limited for qxl. For 130bcd I think the smallest small ring is 40. For 110bcd (5 bolt) it is 38.

If you want to run compact stuff 52 or less you gotta go "q". Personally I run qxl rings on my road and Tri bike. 53/38 on one that is 110bcd 5 bolt. The other is a 53 qxl with a 39 q ring on a 130bcd 5 bolt. Works fine for me but I do contemplate going compact to to 50/34 or a 36 small sometimes for hill climbing. But there isn't a super close area where I live that has that much grade to deal with unless I drive at least an hour or more to get there. That and I kinda suck/hate hills as I'm a slightly heavier rider compared to your average cyclist who rides quite a bit so there's that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been through several
and I had to use round at some point by bike change.
I really like the qring, maybe psychological maybe just feeling, I feel like I'm always quiet, in a round I don't feel that.
I have 54.53/46.41.39, now I am on my way with the new inspider a 50 to put just a chainring, with 3T BAILOUT cassette
I currently have 53, but for not taking the time and switching to 54.
53 is sexy jejejejeje ;)
Quote Reply