Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay
Quote | Reply
Project Illicito one seat stay,way not eliminate the drive side too ? now that would be a 4th generation Tri bike.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...o_unveiled_1551.html

Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Sep 22, 10 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: no seat stays
that is what I thought too when I saw the first pic:

I am guessing the one seat stay is there for stiffness/flexing issues???

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Ducati can use a single sided swing arm on a 1198R ,QR can eliminate the drive side seat stay the BB is HUGE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well it can and has been done already....

QR is half way there :-)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahh the bp stealth. i used to think that was so cool looking.
then again, i said the same thing about softrides...
Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i still think it looks cool.... :-)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IDK there still is that pesky wheel there. Maybe keep the stays and put a carbon fairing there. ....DIMPLED....hmmmm. Guess there would be racing legalities there. I still like that they are trying to do something. Seems a bit gimmicky but there are other prototypes so who knows.

Quote | Reply
Interesting, but with a chain stay that big, can you not get rid of both?

I don't know anything about aerodynamics, but it seems like the rear seat stays seem less important than a more aero fork/headtube assembly.

Which is the other point, I thought trailing brakes on the fork were a no no.
Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well i think you are a little biased ;-) how many QR's have/do you own?

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think QR's point here is that there is no need to remove the drive side seat stay. As noted, it's based on the CD .01 frame. That frame already directs airflow to the non-drive side of the bike. Since they've removed the the non-drive seat stay, to the wind, there are none. Yes?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just 2 for now ;o)

Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I notice is that the left monostay is MUCH bigger, presumably for stiffness but which might interfere w/ the chain and possibly the crankset and/or RD if it were on the drive side, so the chainstay on that side is smaller/normal-sized, hence the more conventional seatstay as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't you have a giant QR Banner a painted wall.... that has to count for at least 0.25 of a bike!

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ehh.. couldn't sleep, nothing else to do during a taper paint cans laying around and well it looked good behind the bike. At least i thought so :o)

Quote | Reply
The way the brakes are mounted leaves a little to be disired too.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am reminded (once again) of a comment that my engineer-friend Brian Parr (who used to work for Hooker) once made to me:

"At some point or another, you're just pushing the material around."

(Not that there can't be any aero benefit to doing so...just that there is probably a limit to what you can achieve by doing so.)
Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [Mr. Blonde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to say that the 0.1 has always seemed to me like a product following a marketing pitch. That may be unfair but even if you buy that some of the air is moved over and that doing that lowers resistance compared to giving it a bumpier but straighter shot to the back of the bike I don't think anyone's arguing that ALL the air gets moved. Once you've given up UCI compliance I can't think of a good reason not to go the whole way. Plenty of bikes go without seatstays and I think Cervelo have said that they're only there for show on most of their road bikes (though again that may just be marketing).

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [BJL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the UCI require TWO seat stays? I have no idea. Maybe someone spotted a glitch.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the UCI rules are written on the basis that no-one will ever test them. They're just not drafted defensively enough which is the source of most of my frustration with them. That said while I don't believe there is an explicit rule that you need two seat stays, 1.3.020 c) (as an example) clearly assumes that all frames will have seat stays plural.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
put 2 small ones on the right side?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [Mr. Blonde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly and that's all very clever but the front end seems to be a few years behind the trend, no fancy fork with integrated aerobars or nosecone.
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they'd argue you then don't have "rear triangles." YOu might argue you do - they're both on one side and one's just bigger than the other but they'd say you have a triangle and a trapezium. As I say -the rules suck

Quote Reply
Re: Q Roo Project Illicito one seat stay [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Exactly and that's all very clever but the front end seems to be a few years behind the trend, no fancy fork with integrated aerobars or nosecone.
SteveMc

Agreed, and I don't think any other company has made as big a leap as Trek has with the Speed Concept.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Imagine hitting a pothole or nice crack without seat stay's. Second thought imagine hitting it without seatstays and carbon fiber arm. It is not going to be pretty. Maybe on a track but not in the real world. There is a reason that a truss is most of the time a triangle or the parts that make up the truss are triangular. At what point do we disregard safety? Just saying.....

In Reply To:
I'm sorry to say that the 0.1 has always seemed to me like a product following a marketing pitch. That may be unfair but even if you buy that some of the air is moved over and that doing that lowers resistance compared to giving it a bumpier but straighter shot to the back of the bike I don't think anyone's arguing that ALL the air gets moved. Once you've given up UCI compliance I can't think of a good reason not to go the whole way. Plenty of bikes go without seatstays and I think Cervelo have said that they're only there for show on most of their road bikes (though again that may just be marketing).

Quote | Reply
I'm not arguing against the strength of a triangle. I'm just saying that many, many bikes have shown that with modern construction the size of "triangle" you get from a built up chainstay is more than enough to ride safely on the road. You simply don't need pencil thin seatstays going all the way up to the top tube intersection - it's a hangover like the idea that all bikes below 6.8kg are unsafe or that you even really need a seattube.

I actually like rules that keep bikes looking like bikes but safety is not the reason.

Quote Reply

Prev Next