Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Q - flying - urgent - 4 docs
Quote | Reply
hey docs around here,

I am suppose to fly to NZ today. though I have had nasty back pain for the last 3 days. yesterday saw a doc. who diagnosed kidney stones (which I had before already). was given hydrocodone, that makes me nauseous and dizzy, but helps with the pain. Is there any risk to fly with a kidney stone?

any help will be very appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Q - flying - urgent - 4 docs [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Francois, sorry to hear about the stone. The short answer is no, there is no physical risk of which I am aware that would occur while flying, however if the stone lodges (usually where the ureter empties into the bladder) you could very well be stuck in a plane for a long time in absolute agony (had one stone myself and that was enough). They hydrocodon will ease the discomfort, but I would recommend adding a nonsteroidal such as ibuprofen (Intramuscular Toradol® or intravenous is the best but you need your doctor to give it to you obviously) to help cut the inflammation around the ureter. 600-800mg every 8 hours will help. Beer does wonders too (not joking, it promotes diuresis and will help move the stone through if it isn't too large to pass), although you wouldn't want to mix a six pack with the hydrocodone.

Hope this helps some

Lance

Quote | Reply
I thought the agony was right now...even the HC does not do much this morning and if I take one more, I'll be vomitting my guts out.
Quote Reply
Re: Q - flying - urgent - 4 docs [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call your doctor and ask him if he will give you a Toradol shot. It works better than morphine at relieving pain as well has helping with spasms of the ureter. Hyrdrocodone is like pissing on a housefire when it comes to ureteral colic. Plus the toradol won't make you loopy. If he won't, find someone that will. Hate to sound like it is a 'magic pill' but when it comes to pain from a stone, it is about the closest thing to it.

Quote | Reply
she said no. called 3 others who said the same...only chance is ER, but I fly in 4hrs to LA, then NZ...sh.t!
Quote Reply
check your messages [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a private message. don't know if it will help, but if you are hell bent on racing, it might.

Best of luck....

Lance